What's Theresa May's Future?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Theresa May to resign as prime minister

Theresa May has said she will quit as Conservative leader on 7 June, paving the way for a contest to decide a new prime minister.

In an emotional statement, she said she had done her best to deliver Brexit and it was a matter of "deep regret" that she had been unable to do so.

Being prime minister had been the "honour of my life", she said.

Mrs May said she would continue to serve as PM while a Conservative leadership contest takes place.

Breaking: May resigns effective 7th June. Just after Trumps visit. Caretaker PM until sucessor is elected.

I'm sure Trump will have a comment to make on her leadership over the last few years, assuming he can keep his hands to himself.:)

• It was a very difficult task she took on. Dozens of politicians who want to remain because they have their dirty little pockets to line. Regardless of who ever takes over next, I am not sure what they are going to do. Even though the British public voted out, and the EU polls are just about to prove that we are more Brexit than ever, the Lib Dems are still fighting to stay in. Perhaps, just perhaps, if politicians had any interest in democracy, we would have already left. I want Gove, but I think it may well be Boris next.

The intelligent are being oppressed so the stupid don't get offended

• It was a very difficult task she took on. Dozens of politicians who want to remain because they have their dirty little pockets to line. Regardless of who ever takes over next, I am not sure what they are going to do. Even though the British public voted out, and the EU polls are just about to prove that we are more Brexit than ever, the Lib Dems are still fighting to stay in. Perhaps, just perhaps, if politicians had any interest in democracy, we would have already left. I want Gove, but I think it may well be Boris next.

Gove is a snake , all members currently in her cabinet are as trustworthy as a backstreet car dealer.

It was a difficult task, but it was one she chose to do and not in the end, in a honest way. Betraying David Davis with her alternative "deal" which Downing Steet had been working on for ages, was a terrible thing to do to him, his staff and the country.

Gove is a slimeball and he certainly wouldn't be my choice.

Gove is a snake , all members currently in her cabinet are as trustworthy as a backstreet car dealer.

Ah, I should've read the next post before posting, but yeah, snake is much better.:)

• So now we have to wait for the rats to decide who to make king/queen rat, yet another excuse to delay Brexit and then there's no guarantee that they will be able to come up with a deal that works. :rolleyes:

• So now we have to wait for the rats to decide who to make king/queen rat, yet another excuse to delay Brexit and then there's no guarantee that they will be able to come up with a deal that works. :rolleyes:

Outside No10 on accepting the job our new PM should Rip up the treaty May got in front of the nation , no ambiguity from day one!

• The Brits love a loser. "It's not whether you lose, it's how you play the game". "Full marks for effort". It was with such sanctimonious claptrap that it took several decades before a British man won Wimbledon and, even then, surprise surprise, it was a Scot rather than an Englishman, and one who chose to learn tennis abroad, not merely because of the climate but rather to avoid being handicapped by rules-&-regulations-besotted England.

As for Theresa May, it's not just that she lost, it's also that she did not "play the game". She lied, evaded, obfuscated and went behind her ministers' back unless they were craven yes-men. She never gave a straight answer to a straight question - in that particular regard she made other politicians seem the pinnacle of transparency (which is one heck of a non-accomplishment). Even her departing speech on the steps of Downing Street was a pathetic pretence of innocent victim-hood, of Poor Little Me, sob sob, betrayed by all those beastly backstabbing politicians who "wouldn't vote for what I offered them, who just refused to recognise how good my deal was". Delusional right to the end.

Why wait until June 7. What is she going to do between now and then? Shake hands with Mister Trump? Feed the cat? Feed her husband? Start writing her legacy? (On the back of a postage stamp?). Like everything else about her, she fluffed her farewell speech. That was the time to apologise, without excuses, to admit that she thought she was up to the job but took too long to come to terms with the fact that she was not, to admit that her communication abilities were worse than expected and that being Home Secretary did not test and expose that disability. To admit , that it took too long to realise she was out of her depth. To admit to hubris. That's the proper way to bow out with grace, dignity, honesty and humility, not like a little girl losing a tennis match and saying it was because someone didn't tie her shoelaces properly.

I'm puzzled about her husband. Did he ever come to realise he had married a dud? Had he decided to be resigned to making the best of it? Or was she the dominant partner, the Darth Vader of wives, who would give him hell (without the compensation SM gratification) if he didn't offer unreserved support rather than tell her in no uncertain terms the way it is, or at least recommended she see a psychiatrist? Any guesses what she'll make on the after-dinner circuit? Enough for the Uber fare home? What kind of restaurant can she now go to without diners staring at her or being sorely tempted to say to her "why don't you pay my restaurant bill after all the money I've lost thanks to you?"

PS I just learned that the last lap of Boris's prospective inauguration is to gain the approval of Tory members at a constituency level. That could be the final roadblock, gaining the votes of those who aspire to mediocrity. With yet another non-entity at the helm, another f-ing safe pair of f-ing hands, Theresa May will have the last laugh.

• I think you have been a bit harsh. You have apparently taken great pleasure from deriding TM, but made no indication regarding who you think may make a better job. I have to questions for you

1) The fact she has been p1551ng against the wind because parliament is full of stubborn remainers, what do you think she could have done to get a Brexit agreement through ?

2) Now she has the time, do you think the quality of housework will improve in her given home ?

• The 1922 committee is meeting again today and will see May next week, but as they didn't decide to change the rules to get rid of May before, I don't see what has changed since then. It's just going around in circles.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48199725

Does nobody have the balls to get rid of her?

Not that it matters now, but just a update to this, supposedly the rules were changed and May was given a ultimatum, set a date to leave, or the results of the committee vote would be made public.

And, according to the papers today, during the cabinet meeting the other day which led to Leadsom quitting, May trying to force a second referendum on the Cabinet to appease Corbyn. Supposedly, according to the papers, even May's allies were furious and so what with the 1922 committee result and that, May essentially slit her own throat, so to speak.

• The Brits love a loser. "It's not whether you lose, it's how you play the game". "Full marks for effort". It was with such sanctimonious claptrap that it took several decades before a British man won Wimbledon and, even then, surprise surprise, it was a Scot rather than an Englishman, and one who chose to learn tennis abroad, not merely because of the climate but rather to avoid being handicapped by rules-&-regulations-besotted England.

No. We like fair play, not losing. May was never fair, but deceitful.

As for Theresa May, it's not just that she lost, it's also that she did not "play the game". She lied, evaded, obfuscated and went behind her ministers' back unless they were craven yes-men. She never gave a straight answer to a straight question - in that particular regard she made other politicians seem the pinnacle of transparency (which is one heck of a non-accomplishment). Even her departing speech on the steps of Downing Street was a pathetic pretence of innocent victim-hood, of Poor Little Me, sob sob, betrayed by all those beastly backstabbing politicians who "wouldn't vote for what I offered them, who just refused to recognise how good my deal was". Delusional right to the end.

I just looked at her speech again, as one does early on a Sunday morning... and although I had sympathy for her then, to me the end of her speech seemed like a temper tantrum. She didn't get her own way and it was full of spite.

Why wait until June 7. What is she going to do between now and then? Shake hands with Mister Trump? Feed the cat? Feed her husband? Start writing her legacy? (On the back of a postage stamp?). Like everything else about her, she fluffed her farewell speech. That was the time to apologise, without excuses, to admit that she thought she was up to the job but took too long to come to terms with the fact that she was not, to admit that her communication abilities were worse than expected and that being Home Secretary did not test and expose that disability. To admit , that it took too long to realise she was out of her depth. To admit to hubris. That's the proper way to bow out with grace, dignity, honesty and humility, not like a little girl losing a tennis match and saying it was because someone didn't tie her shoelaces properly.

Interesting that you mention her time as Home Secretary, because her tenure in that job had real consequences, unlike Brexit. Her orders to the police to discontinue stop and search on suspected black gang members led to the terrible knife related deaths we now have been witnessing for the last few years. That's her legacy, political correctness over preventing terrible crime.

She'll admit nothing, because she thinks she was right. I'm sure The Donald will have some soothing words for her.^^

PS I just learned that the last lap of Boris's prospective inauguration is to gain the approval of Tory members at a constituency level. That could be the final roadblock, gaining the votes of those who aspire to mediocrity. With yet another non-entity at the helm, another f-ing safe pair of f-ing hands, Theresa May will have the last laugh.

As May's future is now settled, we'll take these matters to another thread(s).

• Well regardless of how good or bad May did she will no doubt rest assured that she will still get a PMs stipend to retire with so her upset of having the quit the job wont last too long. ;)

• Indeed. No doubt she'll be made a baroness or something and can then claim £300 a day for doing nothing in the Lords.

But I think she'll stay upset, though. She didn't want to go and essentially was forced out. She'll stay pissed forever and that serves her right.

The May's are exceptionally wealthy , she may irked for the rest of her life but hopefully on a walk somewhere , it might dawn on her that she made a complete screw up of Brexit by thinking the losers have an equal say .

• It's fine criticising TM, but I am not sure who will prove better. I never wanted her, as I believe her time as home secretary was a disaster. I also believe that the fact she is a remainer, and far to left for my liking doesn't go in her favour, but I still uphold she took on an un-achievable task.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!