Notre-Dame Attack

• Police have shot a man who attacked an officer with a hammer outside the Notre-Dame cathedral in Paris.

The man shouted "this is for Syria" during the attack, the interior minister said. Prosecutors have opened a terrorism investigation.

Notre-Dame Attack

-----

Only just seen the news, oh dear, another one. What was I saying about a fork the other day in the London attack thread. You don't need guns, if you're sick enough anything from cutlery drawer or shed will do the trick. I gather British people have been caught up in this too.

When will it end?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Often, the victims are foreign nationals. Makes the focus look a little squiffy.

I saw a news item yesterday somewhere that a large group of Islamic clerics in Pakistan have had enough of this madness and declared a fatwa on terror. Good sign. Things can only improve if the root ideology is established by its representatives. Otherwise they are overthrown by the nut factory.

• I think Muslims are becoming seriously concerned about the radicals as they are harming the faith. So, at last, they are coming out against this. It's a start. They are, it should be borne in mind, at a considerable remove from secular societies in the west. They still exist in the God zone.

Many in the west are moving into a new religious zone of the morally supreme human and so are becoming just as devout in this belief that they are somehow superior to the rest of their group. The endless weeping and hugging and loving, the masochism, the "bang in the nails" mentality that one sees today is a good indication of another cult-fuelled ideology. In fact, the one of aggression and intolerance is a foil for the one of passive resistance, so they from a symbiotic unit.

It's all rather sick and I'll be glad when, and if, both parties could manage to get over themselves.

• It's all rather sick and I'll be glad when, and if, both parties could manage to get over themselves.

I agree.

I think Muslims are becoming seriously concerned about the radicals as they are harming the faith. So, at last, they are coming out against this. It's a start. They are, it should be borne in mind, at a considerable remove from secular societies in the west. They still exist in the God zone.

Lets hope, although it will be beyond our lifetimes, that religion will die. Once the fairy tales stop, then so will a lot of the world's problems.

• Where I am there is a large group of whites from the apartheid era who have gone absolutely ga-ga religious again. It's a pain to have to live among them. I think that when things turn against some inherent belief about themselves and God, some people ramp up the religion as a buffer against change. I often feel as though I'm living in the Middle Ages with all this crap. It has become intrusive. Everyone who isn't a groupie is kind of shunned. The children of God are among us and they seem to think that if they push this, the sky fairy will wake up and give them back the past.

Perhaps fundamentalist Islam has a similar problem. It just can't cope with the modern world. So it radicalises problem individuals and builds the mother of all excuses to declare war on everyone outside of the clique.

• Perhaps fundamentalist Islam has a similar problem. It just can't cope with the modern world. So it radicalises problem individuals and builds the mother of all excuses to declare war on everyone outside of the clique.

That's bang on.

Several historians have basically said this. There is a conflict going on in the Muslim world between extremism, those who can't adapt to the modern world and moderate Islam, those who can.

Where I am there is a large group of whites from the apartheid era who have gone absolutely ga-ga religious again.

Interesting. I thought it was the blacks who were all God mad. Not seen this story at all here LW. Another exclusive from you!:)

• No, the blacks are fine, very down to earth. Even when religious. Africans are quite different to anyone else in this regard, they seem to have a very cracker barrel logic when it comes to interpretations of middle eastern cults. They seem to adapt them to their own very strong cultural, and perhaps biological, ways rather than go nuts. Unfortunately, the loony American style charismatics have got in here and so they have large meetings of god bothering, and wealthy, preachers talking nonsense.

The whites are the ones who are becoming a pain with all this. T-shirts saying "Real men love Jesus", "Jesus is King", etc. It's a veritable plague at the moment. I could scream. Everything is opened and closed with a prayer, Jesus is standing beside every acolyte, no matter whether they are writing a test or running a race or doing flower arranging. Every time they open their mouths it's to mention the accompanying Jesus presence.

Imagine how crazy this is! A dead Jewish reformist rabbi from 2,000 years ago getting into people's heads like this in a scientific age. It beggars belief. They remind me a lot of obsessively devout Muslims.

• I'm reading your comments LW and pondering, could this be coming to the UK too especially if terrorist attacks continue? I hope not.

As far as white people goes here, religion is almost dead. Churches are empty. In fact the only people who fill them are Eastern Europeans, but I think what's happening in SA may show what will happen in the UK too.:thumbdown: