Shooting at Iranian parliament

• Armed individuals have opened fire at the Iranian parliament and the shrine of Ayatollah Khomeini in the capital, Tehran, causing a number of casualties.

Heavy gunfire could be heard on an audio recording from inside the parliament chamber, and there are reports that a security guard has died.

Several people were injured at the shrine, dedicated to the founder of the modern Islamic republic.

There was one suicide bomber and two or three other gunmen.

Iranian parliament shooting

====

Blimey, they're even getting terrorist attacks in Iran now.

What do we think? Is this a terrorist attack, in the traditional sense, or a rising up against the rule of ayatollahs?

With tensions rising between the Arab and Persian worlds, could this be a Sunni attack in Iran?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Were ISIS around then Hoxton? I thought they were a more recent "invention."

• ...Ah, ok. I almost "forgot" that there has been a more recent conflict which is still ongoing. I was thinking of GulfWar2 when I read your initial remarks.

• I saw on SkyNews yesterday a report that claimed IS was going after Iran, so it looks like a debut performance by the terrorists on a State that could wipe them away like a bug if it put its mind to the job.

• I saw on SkyNews yesterday a report that claimed IS was going after Iran, so it looks like a debut performance by the terrorists on a State that could wipe them away like a bug if it put its mind to the job.

Problem is like with Yemen, they don't care how many innocents die either.

• I thought at first the attackers might have been supporters of Ahmadinejad who wanted a more hard line government back.

When the report first came out and I posted about it here, it wasn't known if it were ISIS or not, hence my questions. Now we know it' s ISIS, I do find it curious.

ISIS is backed by the Arab states either directly or indirectly, we have all this Qatar thing going on at the moment. Must try and create a separate thread about that later.

So, is this an attack, albeit an indirect one, by the Arabs on the Iranians, or is something else going on here?

At least Iran is getting a bit of its own medicine. It supports its own terror groups and is now on the receiving end of someone else's, whomever that me be. It could be argued that it looks like someone wants the whole middle east to fight and destroy each other...

• Yes ... that has been a suspicion for some time and it looks like little fires are being started here and there in that direction.

Which is why it's always a very good idea to ask yourself if any one of these dirty rotten scoundrels who asks you to hate and fight and die isn't just the pawn of a bigger, uglier, dirtier and more rotten scoundrel.

• Which is why it's always a very good idea to ask yourself if any one of these dirty rotten scoundrels who asks you to hate and fight and die isn't just the pawn of a bigger, uglier, dirtier and more rotten scoundrel.

But I wonder who the "ultimate" scoundrel is and whether they are located in the Middle East or "pulling the strings" giving the orders from elsewhere?

• I doubt very much that they are in the Middle East. That place is too vulnerable to its own system to move outside of it. It would be some unattached power that had a cool view of what might be achieved by means of the manipulation of those who are hot for God, hot for oil, hot for Jesus and humankind and making the world a better place and all that guff. That kind of coolness needs that kind of crazy heat in others to get anything done, which is why it's quite hard to get Scandinavians on board in this regard as they are cool by nature and don't tend to dash in waving swords, religious symbols and dollar bills every time someone throws a cat among the pigeons of greed or belief.

It's the masses who make the schemes of the few so much easier. It's the few who apparently have all the cash and when you have almost all the cash then you have an enormous amount of power. If you also understand how humans in herd mode behave, then all you need is a few buttons and you can push them in sequence to get more or less whatever you want out of your gullible, dependable peasants.

Once the peasants wise up, of course, you need to run because they will have your guts for garters, but as their belief systems and greed keep them sweet or busy, or both, most of the time, the few who have the cash have quite an open field to play on. And play they have, for many centuries.

• So, go on say it LW, who do you reckon is behind all this nonsense?

The Americans, the UK, or other European country, Russia, China, or god forbid, are they all in on it together and secretly working behind the scenes despite their public antagonism to each other?

I've read all about the starting up of the Muslim Brotherhood and other groups, so that may give clues. But who can tell what is accurate and what is not these days?

• Ahhh.... interesting. I did not think you were going to say that.

I'm just in the middle of stuff at the moment, so will ponder that (you know how long I ponder by now...;)) and come back to this tomorrow.