May announces she will form next Government with DUP help? Will this work?

• May has just come back from her meeting with the Queen and announced she will form her next government with DUP assistance. But will this work? How will it work? What deal has she done with the DUP?

May is weakened, perhaps fatally. As she said herself, she intends to go ahead with the Brexit negotiations, but how can that work when her "strong and stable leadership" position is so weakened. Junker has already made his "rubbish hands" statement this morning.

Surely the Conservative backbenchers will knife at her every opportunity.

Downing Street had already leaked that she intended to sack Hammond and others, but can she do that now in her weakened state? It won't make for happy cabinet meetings. If she does go ahead and sack Hammond she creates enemies at the point when she is weakest.

What a mess.:!:

:thumbdown::thumbdown:

• I'm not sure it will but I presume it will work on a policy by policy basis. At least the DUP doesn't seem to have done what Clegg and the Lib Dems did, sell their principles and go into coalition for a handful of cabinet seats and chauffeur driven cars. Not yet, anyway.

• ^^ Well, she's set sail at any rate. I'm beginning to feel sorry for her.

Something definite would have been better - a good win or a sound defeat. This halfway house only helps the EU. To me if you were anti-Brexit then you voted LibDem who at least set out a defined stance, whether you agree with it or not. If you were pro-Brexit you voted Tory. I don't really understand why anyone would vote Labour at this election.

• I'm not sure it will but I presume it will work on a policy by policy basis. At least the DUP doesn't seem to have done what Clegg and the Lib Dems did, sell their principles and go into coalition for a handful of cabinet seats and chauffeur driven cars. Not yet, anyway.

We just don't yet what deal has been done.

If they think they can start all their rabid marches here celebrating a medieval war, then they can fook off. They're thinking is prehootic, I am very surprised May has got into bed with them especially when former Lid Dem people (and ex cabinet colleagues) like Vince are back.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I think we'll be back in the polling stations before the Autumn is out, possibly with Boris as prospective premier. The majority, even with the DUP propping the Torys up, is wafer thin.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in red it is moderation. Take note.

• Let me ask you Heero, if Boris becomes a contender for PM, if the position were to become available... would you vote conservative?

I agree that I reckon we'll be in the polling stations again soon. As per our earlier conversation, electronic voting is looking more attractive a this rate.^^

• I would continue to vote Tory as the "alternative" is too awful to contemplate.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• For me, I just don't know what I would do.

As per Ron Manager 's comments in another thread, I might not even vote if he becomes a contender.

• May is going to run into a lot of problems by allying with the DUP. If the DUP get a say in the Brexit negotiations, the SNP and the Welsh are going to demand a say too.

And as dreadful as it sounds, the spectre of the IRA is always in the background.

• Maybe out of all evil will come some measure of good? If it all goes tits up, it might have a chance to reorganise itself? Nasty mess at first, but sometimes a harsh frost can get rid of things that simply cling on because there was never a powerful enough natural challenge to survive. If only the adaptable survive, then maybe his will finally kill off the mould?

• And as dreadful as it sounds, the spectre of the IRA is always in the background

Not dreadful at all, but rather an acute assessment.

If the Irish republicans see the unionists gaining power, they will take that as a direct threat to the power balance in Northern Ireland and act accordingly.

• I'm finding the whole thing quite amusing, the Tories were so sure they would get a majority, Corbyn claiming a victory despite not actually winning it's hilarious. :D

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• ....that's to come, just wait. May will get knifed, or hung, drawn and quartered!

May should've remembered Cameron's actions and got out quick. Now, let the games begin. Except, as far as the whole country goes, it's not a game with Brexit negotiations about to start.

• I'm finding the whole thing quite amusing, the Tories were so sure they would get a majority, Corbyn claiming a victory despite not actually winning it's hilarious. :D

Is he? Incredible. I've not seen the news yet apart from a quick glance. Just shows what a idiot he is when he thinks he can run a government and yet never command a majority to get his legislation through. Plonker. They all are.

• One interesting DUP policy is restructuring of the BBC and the end of the licence fee. After the BBC's current affairs bias against the Torys maybe that'll get some leverage. Whilst the BBC's charter may have been renewed as a public service broadcaster I don't think that that guarantees compulsory public funding.

4312-gwban-gif

• That's a really interesting observation Heero.

It it gets traction, perhaps we can copy your post and carry on that discussion in the Broadcasting thread, although it is political too, so..?? See what happens. The media section here is severely lacking as I've been concentrating on politics and currents affairs.

Until we know what deal has been done with the DUP, we'll all in the dark.

I'm just waiting for the drums to start banging and the orange parades to start marching down my road...I like parades, I like drums, but I don't like celebration of war especially medieval ones.

• It's got implications for Ireland and I'll think a separate thread about that, but I also think there will be other issues for the UK too, especially Scotland and again I'll create another thread for that.

I know you hate politics LW, but we've had "breathing space" from politics over the last six weeks while the politicians have been campaigning, but boy, it's now full throttle ahead. Brexit, May's future, Ireland, Scotland, Boris the clown, Corbyn's rise (how the hell did that ever happen/was allowed to happen?) it's all go here!

(good job I decided to make some changes before the election ended;))

• A "confidence and supply deal" is agreed between the government and the DUP.

DUP Deal

The DUP will agree to support the government on key legislation such as the Budget, but what about all other legislation? No real detail has been released yet, but the cabinet will discuss this deal on Monday.

Can this really work? I give it a three or four months at best.

• Theresa May is meeting the DUP leader Arlene Foster today over their "pact".

May meets DUP leaders

Perhaps they'll write the deal in their own blood... would be in keeping with how things are done in Northern Ireland. And I don't mean that entirely flippantly either.

The political system in Northern Ireland is very different to that in Britain. As I briefly highlighted in another post, their politics is tribal, viseral and not compatible with British politics.

How May thinks this deal with the DUP can ever work, is beyond me.

• What is the alternative, is there a workable alternative, May has to do something to make things work, if not the DUP, who?

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• Absolutely Ron, but I just don't see it working, so the only alternative would be another election which on one wants.

The only thing I could think of, is if the Conservatives had quiet words with certain Labour MPs whom they know would agree with them on specific issues. If the conservatives got a gentleman's agreement with those LAbour MPs that if it came to a vote on those issues, then the Labour MPs wouldn't vote against the government. That might work...:/Although, under that scenario, they could be voting against their own whip then.

I suppose if May can just get things chugging along with Brexit, get all that started, we're a year on from that vote... then see how things go.

• May is going to run into a lot of problems by allying with the DUP. If the DUP get a say in the Brexit negotiations, the SNP and the Welsh are going to demand a say too.

And as dreadful as it sounds, the spectre of the IRA is always in the background.

Why would two parties with nothing to do with the Tories be in a position to demand anything?