May announces she will form next Government with DUP help? Will this work?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • May has just come back from her meeting with the Queen and announced she will form her next government with DUP assistance. But will this work? How will it work? What deal has she done with the DUP?

May is weakened, perhaps fatally. As she said herself, she intends to go ahead with the Brexit negotiations, but how can that work when her "strong and stable leadership" position is so weakened. Junker has already made his "rubbish hands" statement this morning.

Surely the Conservative backbenchers will knife at her every opportunity.

Downing Street had already leaked that she intended to sack Hammond and others, but can she do that now in her weakened state? It won't make for happy cabinet meetings. If she does go ahead and sack Hammond she creates enemies at the point when she is weakest.

What a mess.:!:

:thumbdown::thumbdown:

• I'm not sure it will but I presume it will work on a policy by policy basis. At least the DUP doesn't seem to have done what Clegg and the Lib Dems did, sell their principles and go into coalition for a handful of cabinet seats and chauffeur driven cars. Not yet, anyway.

• ^^ Well, she's set sail at any rate. I'm beginning to feel sorry for her.

Something definite would have been better - a good win or a sound defeat. This halfway house only helps the EU. To me if you were anti-Brexit then you voted LibDem who at least set out a defined stance, whether you agree with it or not. If you were pro-Brexit you voted Tory. I don't really understand why anyone would vote Labour at this election.

• I'm not sure it will but I presume it will work on a policy by policy basis. At least the DUP doesn't seem to have done what Clegg and the Lib Dems did, sell their principles and go into coalition for a handful of cabinet seats and chauffeur driven cars. Not yet, anyway.

We just don't yet what deal has been done.

If they think they can start all their rabid marches here celebrating a medieval war, then they can fook off. They're thinking is prehootic, I am very surprised May has got into bed with them especially when former Lid Dem people (and ex cabinet colleagues) like Vince are back.

• Let me ask you Heero, if Boris becomes a contender for PM, if the position were to become available... would you vote conservative?

I agree that I reckon we'll be in the polling stations again soon. As per our earlier conversation, electronic voting is looking more attractive a this rate.^^

• May is going to run into a lot of problems by allying with the DUP. If the DUP get a say in the Brexit negotiations, the SNP and the Welsh are going to demand a say too.

And as dreadful as it sounds, the spectre of the IRA is always in the background.

• Maybe out of all evil will come some measure of good? If it all goes tits up, it might have a chance to reorganise itself? Nasty mess at first, but sometimes a harsh frost can get rid of things that simply cling on because there was never a powerful enough natural challenge to survive. If only the adaptable survive, then maybe his will finally kill off the mould?

• I'm finding the whole thing quite amusing, the Tories were so sure they would get a majority, Corbyn claiming a victory despite not actually winning it's hilarious. :D

Is he? Incredible. I've not seen the news yet apart from a quick glance. Just shows what a idiot he is when he thinks he can run a government and yet never command a majority to get his legislation through. Plonker. They all are.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!