Cabinet Reshuffle. Who will get the boot?

• Theresa May is expected to finalise her team of ministers later as she seeks to lead a government with the support of the Democratic Unionist Party.

Cabinet Reshuffle

====

It was speculated that once May had won her overwhelming victory....that she was going to have a major reshuffle with her friend Hammond getting the boot first over the budget fiasco. Now that she is in semi-coalition territory with the DUP, or whatever the hell it is, we don't know, can she still do this?

Reshuffles create enemies, obviously. No one likes to lose their job and once you send someone back to the back benches, they can cause problems for you. But with wide support, a PM can ride the waves, but May isn't in that situation and the waves could crush her if she makes big changes and makes enemies where she needn't.

Will Hammond get the boot? The Mail is reporting that Boris (what a surprise) David Davis, Rudd are all lining up against her. Will she chuck them all out? The BBC article is saying they will all stay, will make for interesting cabinet meetings...

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• ;(;(;(

Never, never,NEVER.

As he liked to shout.

He was as bad as the terrorists. He might not have picked up a gun like Gerry Adams, but he was poison. An utter snake who stoked up the passions of the young and stupid and sent them off like lambs to the slaughter. Similar to the issue with the Islamists and Muslims today.

RIP Paisley (not!).

• Not a cabinet reshuffle, but both of May's joint chief of staff "have stepped down." They are the ones widely seen as being responsible for the poor campaign and creating a atmosphere of fear within Downing St.

• One of the joint chiefs, Nick Timothy, actually resigned yesterday, this is his resignation statement which was posted on Conservative Home.

Timothy resignation letter

Yesterday, I resigned as the Prime Minister’s adviser.

Clearly, the general election result was a huge disappointment. What lay behind the result will no doubt be the subject of detailed analysis for many months. My immediate reaction, however, is this. The Conservatives won more than 13.6 million votes, which is an historically high number, and more than Tony Blair won in all three of his election victories. The reason for the disappointing result was not the absence of support for Theresa May and the Conservatives but an unexpected surge in support for Labour.

One can speculate about the reasons for this, but the simple truth is that Britain is a divided country: many are tired of austerity, many remain frustrated or angry about Brexit, and many younger people feel they lack the opportunities enjoyed by their parents’ generation.

Ironically, the Prime Minister is the one political leader who understands this division, and who has been working to address it since she became Prime Minister last July. The Conservative election campaign, however, failed to get this and Theresa’s positive plan for the future across. It also failed to notice the surge in Labour support, because modern campaigning techniques require ever-narrower targeting of specific voters, and we were not talking to the people who decided to vote for Labour.

I take responsibility for my part in this election campaign, which was the oversight of our policy programme. In particular, I regret the decision not to include in the manifesto a ceiling as well as a floor in our proposal to help meet the increasing cost of social care. But I would like to make clear that the bizarre media reports about my own role in the policy’s inclusion are wrong: it had been the subject of many months of work within Whitehall, and it was not my personal pet project. I chose not to rebut these reports as they were published, as to have done so would have been a distraction for the campaign. But I take responsibility for the content of the whole manifesto, which I continue to believe is an honest and strong programme for government.

Turning to the future, nothing matters more than the good government of the country. The Brexit negotiations are due to begin, and if the United Kingdom is to get the right deal, there is no time to waste. I hope the Conservative Party in Parliament gets behind the Prime Minister, and allows her the political space to negotiate that deal.

In the meantime, I want to place on record my sorrow for the Conservative Members of Parliament who lost their seats, several of whom are close friends. I want to reaffirm my ongoing support for the Conservative Party and its principles. And I want to encourage all Conservatives to come through this difficult period, unite behind the Prime Minister, and focus on the need to heal the divisions in our country.

• Here's the other "shorter"... statement by the other joint chief of staff, Fiona Hill

Hill statement

Statement by Fiona Hill, formerly the Prime Minister’s Chief of Staff.

“It’s been a pleasure to serve in government, and a pleasure to work with such an excellent Prime Minister. I have no doubt at all that Theresa May will continue to serve and work hard as Prime Minister – and do it brilliantly.”

====

Was she sacked?

Looks like Timothy went on his own steam, but this one may have been pushed.

• Harry Enfield did sketches featuring an Ian Paisley type character. :D

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• If May is appointing new cabinet members she'd better remember the old saying "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

The plotting is already going on no doubt.

• If May is appointing new cabinet members she'd better remember the old saying "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

The plotting is already going on no doubt.

I don't know if you are watching the Andrew Marr programme, but George Osbourne was just on it....

Once it becomes available on catchup, I'll watch it again and post some comments here. But to summarise, it was a hatchet job by Osbourne on her... To directly quote what he said about May:

"She's a dead woman walking"

• To top that an Observer piece has cut her to shreds like I haven't seen anyone do this for years. Quite stunningly powerful rhetoric. Goodbye, Theresa, I should think now and perhaps she should thank her stars and just go.

• Yep. all the UK papers are in agreement for once, they reckon she's a gonna. If she had any sense, she would go under her own steam, before hot coals are put up her.....;)

• Some speculation here is she might not last a week. I think the Conservatives will let her start of the Brexit negotiations, then she'll be dispatched sometime before the end of summer/early Autumn.

• Well I wouldn't worry too much.....yet. I believe the reason the Tories lost their 'huge' political advantage , ( according to the polls at least), was the difference between the manifestos......Corbyn's promising the earth, while May's promised a continuation of 'austerity', with a poorly described limit on social care costs for those holding property when requiring social care at least - quickly termed the 'dementia tax'.

Clearly, even with the DUP's help, this governance arrangement is not built for anything like the now 5 year 'standard' Parliamentary term.....so , in the near future, out will come the manifestos again.........Corbyn's will undoubtedly reflect another bag of unaffordable goodies ......the difficult bit to forecast, is the content of the Tory manifesto............but of course, by then, the electorate may be more comfortable with Corbyn anyway, ( he certainly comes across better than Miliband et al.......and the EU remainers will undoubtedly stay with him......but what will the Tory 'remainers' do???

• So you reckon Stevlin, that Corbyn has a chance at the "top job"? He's certainly confident and that's what he was talking about on Andrew's Marr's show earlier.

• Michael Gove back in government as Environment Secretary with Andrea Leadsom moving to be the Head of the Commons. So, two big Brexit people with her.

Damian Green is promoted to First Secretary of State, a new one on me. Why not just make him deputy PM and be done with it, as he's her closet aide.

Full reshuffle details here:

Reshuffle

Talk about the old adage of you keep your friends close, but your enemies closer...

May is either mad with both Boris and Gove around the table with her, or very shrewd. Which is it?

• So you reckon Stevlin, that Corbyn has a chance at the "top job"? He's certainly confident and that's what he was talking about on Andrew's Marr's show earlier.

Well , despite the exposure of his unsavoury connection with terrorist groups, the popular expectation that this would work against him has not materialised. As I said, he comes across as a friendly character, and, unlike Abbot, is quite a dab hand at avoiding those 'awkward' questions....by not answering them , albeit in a fluid way....apart from his failure to produce knowledge of costings to support his claims of course!!

As May was certainly, well apparently at least, comfortably ahead in the polls immediately prior to the pre - manifesto publications, the only sane answer to that is the widely different manifestos, ( at least in terms of goodies on offer), coupled with his improving public perception .....

Despite all the condemnation of May, she had a much greater share of the vote than did Blair , when he had a comfortable majority with only 36% of the vote compared to May's 42%......the highest share for 34 years or so apparently.

• I guess leaving them out would be even more dangerous than having them on board......at least that way they will say the 'nice' things about her in public.......well not many people like rats do they? Lol

• Well , despite the exposure of his unsavoury connection with terrorist groups, the popular expectation that this would work against him has not materialised. As I said, he comes across as a friendly character, and, unlike Abbot, is quite a dab hand at avoiding those 'awkward' questions....by not answering them , albeit in a fluid way....apart from his failure to produce knowledge of costings to support his claims of course!!

As May was certainly, well apparently at least, comfortably ahead in the polls immediately prior to the pre - manifesto publications, the only sane answer to that is the widely different manifestos, ( at least in terms of goodies on offer), coupled with his improving public perception .....

Despite all the condemnation of May, she had a much greater share of the vote than did Blair , when he had a comfortable majority with only 36% of the vote compared to May's 42%......the highest share for 34 years or so apparently.

Yeah, I said this earlier Stevlin, May had a larger share of the vote than Blair ever managed and if Corbyn hadn't energised the yoof vote, she would've got her majority.

I don't know if you saw the Marr programme this morning, if not it's on catch up, it's an absolute watch...but Corbyn is a different beast to the person he was several weeks ago. Rather than hiding behind doors, frightened of his shadow, he was relaxed on the show and as you say, fluid. Confidence is everything in this game. If he thinks he can win, perhaps he just might...

On the Andrew Neil programme after Marr, pundits were saying that once May is back doing PMQs against Corbyn, she'll trounce him. I'm not so sure... He's confident and she's wounded, will he go for the kill?

Corbyn has only ever believed up to now, that he would only be the opposition leader. Now he thinks that all his policy speeches could actually become "real" if he does become PM and he reckons he's got a chance and unlike six weeks ago, I'm not so sure that he is entirely wrong about that.

• I guess leaving them out would be even more dangerous than having them on board......at least that way they will say the 'nice' things about her in public.......well not many people like rats do they? Lol

They should sell tickets for cabinet meetings now, might prevent a few austerity cuts.^^

It will either work out brilliantly for May and she'll come out stronger than ever, or, we'll end up with PM Boris, or PM Gove by the end of the year. Although that Rudd might be a contender too, she did rather wll at the debate with everyone ganging up against her and he kept her cool.

• I think May is safe for now, from the Tories at least. They won't want to get rid of her at the moment if they can possibly avoid it. But her manifesto will have to go into reverse or be shredded.

We are now back to where we started with that and a 'government for everyone.'

'Theresa May said the government planned to focus on social issues and "delivering a successful Brexit", as she completed a Cabinet reshuffle.

The PM said the new line-up brought in "talent from across the whole of the Conservative Party".

Her comments came after Michael Gove, one of the driving forces behind Brexit, returned to the front bench as environment secretary.

She said it was a "government that's going to be governing for everyone".'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40241229

• She told the truth and things like the winter fuel discount for wealthy pensioners should've been scrapped. I guess that's a strong lesson for all politicians in the future, don't tell the truth, don't tell the electorate how things really are, but feed them a fantasy and do whatever your core group of voters wants, even though it may screw the country as a whole.

As specifically about he cabinet reshuffle, there's far too many egos around that cabinet table, it's only a matter of time before things spill over, or fall over, or whatever the term is used now. It's written all over Boris' face, despite his weasel words of support.

• I'd be astonished if he didn't. He'll wee himself, if hasn't tried something by the end of the year.:D

(I put a big grin smilie there, but as per the comments between Stevlin and I yesterday, it's not a game and if a leadership bid were to happen, it would be bad for the country.)