Cabinet Reshuffle. Who will get the boot?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Theresa May is expected to finalise her team of ministers later as she seeks to lead a government with the support of the Democratic Unionist Party.

Cabinet Reshuffle

====

It was speculated that once May had won her overwhelming victory....that she was going to have a major reshuffle with her friend Hammond getting the boot first over the budget fiasco. Now that she is in semi-coalition territory with the DUP, or whatever the hell it is, we don't know, can she still do this?

Reshuffles create enemies, obviously. No one likes to lose their job and once you send someone back to the back benches, they can cause problems for you. But with wide support, a PM can ride the waves, but May isn't in that situation and the waves could crush her if she makes big changes and makes enemies where she needn't.

Will Hammond get the boot? The Mail is reporting that Boris (what a surprise) David Davis, Rudd are all lining up against her. Will she chuck them all out? The BBC article is saying they will all stay, will make for interesting cabinet meetings...

• ;(;(;(

Never, never,NEVER.

As he liked to shout.

He was as bad as the terrorists. He might not have picked up a gun like Gerry Adams, but he was poison. An utter snake who stoked up the passions of the young and stupid and sent them off like lambs to the slaughter. Similar to the issue with the Islamists and Muslims today.

RIP Paisley (not!).

• One of the joint chiefs, Nick Timothy, actually resigned yesterday, this is his resignation statement which was posted on Conservative Home.

Timothy resignation letter

Yesterday, I resigned as the Prime Minister’s adviser.

Clearly, the general election result was a huge disappointment. What lay behind the result will no doubt be the subject of detailed analysis for many months. My immediate reaction, however, is this. The Conservatives won more than 13.6 million votes, which is an historically high number, and more than Tony Blair won in all three of his election victories. The reason for the disappointing result was not the absence of support for Theresa May and the Conservatives but an unexpected surge in support for Labour.

One can speculate about the reasons for this, but the simple truth is that Britain is a divided country: many are tired of austerity, many remain frustrated or angry about Brexit, and many younger people feel they lack the opportunities enjoyed by their parents’ generation.

Ironically, the Prime Minister is the one political leader who understands this division, and who has been working to address it since she became Prime Minister last July. The Conservative election campaign, however, failed to get this and Theresa’s positive plan for the future across. It also failed to notice the surge in Labour support, because modern campaigning techniques require ever-narrower targeting of specific voters, and we were not talking to the people who decided to vote for Labour.

I take responsibility for my part in this election campaign, which was the oversight of our policy programme. In particular, I regret the decision not to include in the manifesto a ceiling as well as a floor in our proposal to help meet the increasing cost of social care. But I would like to make clear that the bizarre media reports about my own role in the policy’s inclusion are wrong: it had been the subject of many months of work within Whitehall, and it was not my personal pet project. I chose not to rebut these reports as they were published, as to have done so would have been a distraction for the campaign. But I take responsibility for the content of the whole manifesto, which I continue to believe is an honest and strong programme for government.

Turning to the future, nothing matters more than the good government of the country. The Brexit negotiations are due to begin, and if the United Kingdom is to get the right deal, there is no time to waste. I hope the Conservative Party in Parliament gets behind the Prime Minister, and allows her the political space to negotiate that deal.

In the meantime, I want to place on record my sorrow for the Conservative Members of Parliament who lost their seats, several of whom are close friends. I want to reaffirm my ongoing support for the Conservative Party and its principles. And I want to encourage all Conservatives to come through this difficult period, unite behind the Prime Minister, and focus on the need to heal the divisions in our country.

• Here's the other "shorter"... statement by the other joint chief of staff, Fiona Hill

Hill statement

Statement by Fiona Hill, formerly the Prime Minister’s Chief of Staff.

“It’s been a pleasure to serve in government, and a pleasure to work with such an excellent Prime Minister. I have no doubt at all that Theresa May will continue to serve and work hard as Prime Minister – and do it brilliantly.”

====

Was she sacked?

Looks like Timothy went on his own steam, but this one may have been pushed.

• ;(;(;(

Never, never,NEVER.

As he liked to shout.

He was as bad as the terrorists. He might not have picked up a gun like Gerry Adams, but he was poison. An utter snake who stoked up the passions of the young and stupid and sent them off like lambs to the slaughter. Similar to the issue with the Islamists and Muslims today.

RIP Paisley (not!).

Harry Enfield did sketches featuring an Ian Paisley type character. :D

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• If May is appointing new cabinet members she'd better remember the old saying "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

The plotting is already going on no doubt.

• If May is appointing new cabinet members she'd better remember the old saying "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

The plotting is already going on no doubt.

I don't know if you are watching the Andrew Marr programme, but George Osbourne was just on it....

Once it becomes available on catchup, I'll watch it again and post some comments here. But to summarise, it was a hatchet job by Osbourne on her... To directly quote what he said about May:

"She's a dead woman walking"

• To top that an Observer piece has cut her to shreds like I haven't seen anyone do this for years. Quite stunningly powerful rhetoric. Goodbye, Theresa, I should think now and perhaps she should thank her stars and just go.

• Well I wouldn't worry too much.....yet. I believe the reason the Tories lost their 'huge' political advantage , ( according to the polls at least), was the difference between the manifestos......Corbyn's promising the earth, while May's promised a continuation of 'austerity', with a poorly described limit on social care costs for those holding property when requiring social care at least - quickly termed the 'dementia tax'.

Clearly, even with the DUP's help, this governance arrangement is not built for anything like the now 5 year 'standard' Parliamentary term.....so , in the near future, out will come the manifestos again.........Corbyn's will undoubtedly reflect another bag of unaffordable goodies ......the difficult bit to forecast, is the content of the Tory manifesto............but of course, by then, the electorate may be more comfortable with Corbyn anyway, ( he certainly comes across better than Miliband et al.......and the EU remainers will undoubtedly stay with him......but what will the Tory 'remainers' do???

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!