Cabinet Reshuffle. Who will get the boot?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Michael Gove back in government as Environment Secretary with Andrea Leadsom moving to be the Head of the Commons. So, two big Brexit people with her.

Damian Green is promoted to First Secretary of State, a new one on me. Why not just make him deputy PM and be done with it, as he's her closet aide.

Full reshuffle details here:

Reshuffle

Talk about the old adage of you keep your friends close, but your enemies closer...

May is either mad with both Boris and Gove around the table with her, or very shrewd. Which is it?

• So you reckon Stevlin, that Corbyn has a chance at the "top job"? He's certainly confident and that's what he was talking about on Andrew's Marr's show earlier.

Well , despite the exposure of his unsavoury connection with terrorist groups, the popular expectation that this would work against him has not materialised. As I said, he comes across as a friendly character, and, unlike Abbot, is quite a dab hand at avoiding those 'awkward' questions....by not answering them , albeit in a fluid way....apart from his failure to produce knowledge of costings to support his claims of course!!

As May was certainly, well apparently at least, comfortably ahead in the polls immediately prior to the pre - manifesto publications, the only sane answer to that is the widely different manifestos, ( at least in terms of goodies on offer), coupled with his improving public perception .....

Despite all the condemnation of May, she had a much greater share of the vote than did Blair , when he had a comfortable majority with only 36% of the vote compared to May's 42%......the highest share for 34 years or so apparently.

• I guess leaving them out would be even more dangerous than having them on board......at least that way they will say the 'nice' things about her in public.......well not many people like rats do they? Lol

• Well , despite the exposure of his unsavoury connection with terrorist groups, the popular expectation that this would work against him has not materialised. As I said, he comes across as a friendly character, and, unlike Abbot, is quite a dab hand at avoiding those 'awkward' questions....by not answering them , albeit in a fluid way....apart from his failure to produce knowledge of costings to support his claims of course!!

As May was certainly, well apparently at least, comfortably ahead in the polls immediately prior to the pre - manifesto publications, the only sane answer to that is the widely different manifestos, ( at least in terms of goodies on offer), coupled with his improving public perception .....

Despite all the condemnation of May, she had a much greater share of the vote than did Blair , when he had a comfortable majority with only 36% of the vote compared to May's 42%......the highest share for 34 years or so apparently.

Yeah, I said this earlier Stevlin, May had a larger share of the vote than Blair ever managed and if Corbyn hadn't energised the yoof vote, she would've got her majority.

I don't know if you saw the Marr programme this morning, if not it's on catch up, it's an absolute watch...but Corbyn is a different beast to the person he was several weeks ago. Rather than hiding behind doors, frightened of his shadow, he was relaxed on the show and as you say, fluid. Confidence is everything in this game. If he thinks he can win, perhaps he just might...

On the Andrew Neil programme after Marr, pundits were saying that once May is back doing PMQs against Corbyn, she'll trounce him. I'm not so sure... He's confident and she's wounded, will he go for the kill?

Corbyn has only ever believed up to now, that he would only be the opposition leader. Now he thinks that all his policy speeches could actually become "real" if he does become PM and he reckons he's got a chance and unlike six weeks ago, I'm not so sure that he is entirely wrong about that.

• I guess leaving them out would be even more dangerous than having them on board......at least that way they will say the 'nice' things about her in public.......well not many people like rats do they? Lol

They should sell tickets for cabinet meetings now, might prevent a few austerity cuts.^^

It will either work out brilliantly for May and she'll come out stronger than ever, or, we'll end up with PM Boris, or PM Gove by the end of the year. Although that Rudd might be a contender too, she did rather wll at the debate with everyone ganging up against her and he kept her cool.

• I think May is safe for now, from the Tories at least. They won't want to get rid of her at the moment if they can possibly avoid it. But her manifesto will have to go into reverse or be shredded.

We are now back to where we started with that and a 'government for everyone.'

'Theresa May said the government planned to focus on social issues and "delivering a successful Brexit", as she completed a Cabinet reshuffle.

The PM said the new line-up brought in "talent from across the whole of the Conservative Party".

Her comments came after Michael Gove, one of the driving forces behind Brexit, returned to the front bench as environment secretary.

She said it was a "government that's going to be governing for everyone".'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40241229

• She told the truth and things like the winter fuel discount for wealthy pensioners should've been scrapped. I guess that's a strong lesson for all politicians in the future, don't tell the truth, don't tell the electorate how things really are, but feed them a fantasy and do whatever your core group of voters wants, even though it may screw the country as a whole.

As specifically about he cabinet reshuffle, there's far too many egos around that cabinet table, it's only a matter of time before things spill over, or fall over, or whatever the term is used now. It's written all over Boris' face, despite his weasel words of support.

• I'd be astonished if he didn't. He'll wee himself, if hasn't tried something by the end of the year.:D

(I put a big grin smilie there, but as per the comments between Stevlin and I yesterday, it's not a game and if a leadership bid were to happen, it would be bad for the country.)

• Yeah, I said this earlier Stevlin, May had a larger share of the vote than Blair ever managed and if Corbyn hadn't energised the yoof vote, she would've got her majority.

I don't know if you saw the Marr programme this morning, if not it's on catch up, it's an absolute watch...but Corbyn is a different beast to the person he was several weeks ago. Rather than hiding behind doors, frightened of his shadow, he was relaxed on the show and as you say, fluid. Confidence is everything in this game. If he thinks he can win, perhaps he just might...

On the Andrew Neil programme after Marr, pundits were saying that once May is back doing PMQs against Corbyn, she'll trounce him. I'm not so sure... He's confident and she's wounded, will he go for the kill?

Corbyn has only ever believed up to now, that he would only be the opposition leader. Now he thinks that all his policy speeches could actually become "real" if he does become PM and he reckons he's got a chance and unlike six weeks ago, I'm not so sure that he is entirely wrong about that.

I still believe there is a long,long way to go for Labour.....especially as May will undoubtedly issue a much greater 'popular' manifesto than the previous one next time round.......................and, even though, as you have stated, it doesn't follow that Corbyn will continue to come off second best at PMQ.....albeit, a few poor PMQs by Corbyn could undo much of their surprising progress......but , also as you say, Corbyn is undoubtedly growing in confidence, so may well handle future PMQs much more comfortably.

However, the apparent difficulties in the DUP agreeing to support the Tories may bring forward the next election far sooner than predicted........, but this , in turn, will depend upon the progress , (if any), made in the Brexit negotiations which will not seemingly be unduly delayed.

• Certainly interesting times Stevlin, isn't it?

Brexit, DUP, the rise of Corbyn, the fall of May, unless you have a crystal ball, it's impossible to predict what will happen next. At least it gives us something to talk about!

Well there are many people around who claim to possess those magic crystal balls............you only have to look at those 'viewers into the future' who state unequivocally that Brexit will be a disaster for the UK!!

• Now it seems according to some reports May has said she got us into this mess and she'll get us out of it. In addition we are reading about the end of austerity and the Tories and Labour having secret talks about Brexit. All sorts of stories will no doubt be flying around for days and we'll have to wait for the dust to settle.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-40255847

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!