Former Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond injured in car accident

• Breaking news

According to Swiss media, Richard Hammond has been injured in a car accident and has been airlifted to a hospital.

Of course, he was involved in that very serious accident several years ago now which almost killed him.

More details to come.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• He's okay, he came out of the accident without serious injury.

Hammond accident

Perhaps he should give his "hi jinks" a rest. How many times can you play with fire, literally play with fire?

• He's a thrill seeker. But that type of person can never stop, they need their "fix" until it kills them eventually.

• Yes, in Psychology it used to be called counter-phobic behaviour. It describes behaviour where they engage in dare-devil acts in order to conquer a fear of danger. It is the opposite of what it seems.

• I'd forgotten the old Top Gear lot we're still going. Since it's Amazon I can't watch it but I remember hearing only the first episode was any good and went downhillfrom there. Anyone else watch it?

• I was never a Top Gear fan to begin with, not the more recent versions. I liked the old "review a car" car show, but that format was dumped for a purely "entertainment" one.

I saw the first episode of the new series of The Grand Tour on Amazon, it was ok, more of the same thing but with a lot more money spent on it. Not seen any of the others since, I might have a quick check of them sometime and if I do, I'll let you know.

• This event also emphasises something that I and a collegue have discussed: That a battery with sufficient power to move a car for over 300 miles is your basic bomb. The fact that they couldn't exstinguish the blaze for two hours should be a lesson to us all about the dangers of large Lion batteries. Water on such a fire only makes it worse.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in red it is moderation. Take note.

• Interesting Heero.

Perhaps in the future you might wish to create a thread about battery powered cars, Heero? I can't, because I couldn't talk with authority on the subject as my tech knowledge is so poor. But it does call into question, going by your remarks, the future of battery powered cars which we're all being told is the way things will be going.

• I'd rather trust a hydrogen fuel celled car: The hydrogen in the tank is contained in a metal hydride form, the same form that a NiMh battery holds it's charge. I've seen demonstations of putting a bullet into the hydride tank in the presence of flame and only a small flame was the result unlike the same test with a petrol tank.

I'll have to put some thoughts together on this.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in red it is moderation. Take note.