Brits bottle it over Brexit

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • This election was always about Brexit. May even said so up front, an honest politician for a change! Unfortunately it looks like the recently restored British backbone has dissolved again. Sad though probably inevitable.

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• This election was always about Brexit. May even said so up front, an honest politician for a change! Unfortunately it looks like the recently restored British backbone has dissolved again. Sad though probably inevitable.

I'm going to disagree with you. I don't think Brexit was the main issue for many people. I think that one of the main reasons Brexit got so much support in certain areas was because people blamed mass immigration for the fact they couldn't find proper full time jobs or affordable homes.

They voted Brexit because they saw that as a way of stopping mass immigration and thus helping to solve the problems.

Once Corbyn accepted Brexit he'd covered those who voted for Brexit for reasons other than mass immigration. But he also promised no welfare cuts, more housing, better schools and to save the NHS, so people thought that even if they couldn't find a job, they would at least be supported and so voted Labour.

That's my theory anyway.

• It wasn't Brexit ,it was the stupidity of youth and a reality show culture combined with a arrogant and out of touch manifesto!

I am furious this morning and May must go now , this country seems to have millions that want something for nothing , our education system is a disgrace.

• I'm going to disagree with you. I don't think Brexit was the main issue for many people. I think that one of the main reasons Brexit got so much support in certain areas was because people blamed mass immigration for the fact they couldn't find proper full time jobs or affordable homes.

They voted Brexit because they saw that as a way of stopping mass immigration and thus helping to solve the problems.

Once Corbyn accepted Brexit he'd covered those who voted for Brexit for reasons other than mass immigration. But he also promised no welfare cuts, more housing, better schools and to save the NHS, so people thought that even if they couldn't find a job, they would at least be supported and so voted Labour.

That's my theory anyway.

It should have been. All the rest is the usual politician's waffle which we should be used to by now, apart from anyone under 25 I suppose. The one key tangible issue was Brexit, now we've dramatically weakened our stance and the EU will be rubbing their hands. This was surely the obvious outcome?? Especially as May said as much when she called the election...

• It was daft to make the election about brexit since the brexit referendum had solved that issue, lets not forget the other big things for a lot of people is the NHS and social care, that was the issues that should have been focused on if anything.

Fact is May and the Tories thought they would get a bigger majority and they were wrong in reality, it was an ego massaging exercise and it failed miserably.

• It wasn't Brexit ,it was the stupidity of youth and a reality show culture combined with a arrogant and out of touch manifesto!

I am furious this morning and May must go now , this country seems to have millions that want something for nothing , our education system is a disgrace.

When Corbyn was "hanging out with the kids" it was similar thing in America with Bernie Sanders, Clinton's main rival for the Democratic candidate for president. Sanders energised the yoof vote and it almost worked for him.

The young have no experience. If you tell them you can heal the world, wave a magic world, it sounds really attractive. Most young don't have to pay bills, so don't understand that government does not have money, it's ours they spend.

I agree May must go, looks like she is going to try and hold on though. And the reality show continues.

• ... that's one way to neutralise the problem! :D:evil:

This is why Sturgeon and the SNP lowered the voting age in Scotland for the referendum in 2015, as they knew they could get the youth vote on their side.

The other big story, beyond May and the Scots, is the youth vote. Something rather relevant to me as owner of this forum, who has switched the software which is stuffed full with social networking features. :)

All the the "experts", all politicians up until now, thought the youth vote was irrelevant. They're lazy, stay in bed and won't vote, disinterested in politics etc. That's what everyone thought about the youth. This election has proved otherwise and its a game changer.

The youth vote is huge and still largely untapped. There is no doubt that future elections will be fought using Twitter, Facebook etc. I might hate it, but that's the future whether I like it or not.

Adapt or die.;)

• It's the reasons why they vote that make the youth a peril. As has been said, they are inexperienced and filled with idealistic fervour. Bad combination and often the reason why ships that sail out into choppy waters with high aims get wrecked on the rocks of reality before long. It's important for any culture not to allow the inexperienced to be so dismissive of their elders. This has never been the human way and as America has created the eternal teenager, aged between fourteen and a hundred and fourteen, things have become unpredictable.

If no one wants to grow up anymore and is always on holiday and just wants to buy the world a coke, then the future will be a set of nasty rocks sticking up out of the sea of tranquility that is believed to be the reward for loving everything with a pulse.

• It's the reasons why they vote that make the youth a peril. As has been said, they are inexperienced and filled with idealistic fervour. Bad combination and often the reason why ships that sail out into choppy waters with high aims get wrecked on the rocks of reality before long. It's important for any culture not to allow the inexperienced to be so dismissive of their elders. This has never been the human way and as America has created the eternal teenager, aged between fourteen and a hundred and fourteen, things have become unpredictable.

If no one wants to grow up anymore and is always on holiday and just wants to buy the world a coke, then the future will be a set of nasty rocks sticking up out of the sea of tranquility that is believed to be the reward for loving everything with a pulse.

Tories had no counter to a man who could literally offer the naive the world knowing he would not have to carry the promises out.

• May has just announced that it's on with the show. She seems quite feisty. Depends now on whether anyone feels like stabbing her in the back. Personally, I hope not at this stage as that might be really unwise, considering.

• It should have been. All the rest is the usual politician's waffle which we should be used to by now, apart from anyone under 25 I suppose. The one key tangible issue was Brexit, now we've dramatically weakened our stance and the EU will be rubbing their hands. This was surely the obvious outcome?? Especially as May said as much when she called the election...

I agree with that. They'll have us at a disadvantage and if May can't regain ground they'll make things more and more awkward to destabilise her in the hope of exploiting weaknesses. She promised 'strong and stable.' She is going to have to prove she is now.

• May has just announced that it's on with the show. She seems quite feisty. Depends now on whether anyone feels like stabbing her in the back. Personally, I hope not at this stage as that might be really unwise, considering.

It's the Conservative Party, LW. The political equivalent of Jack the Ripper. Back stabbing is what they do.

• I know. :( They were after doing that to her beforehand and that's why she called the election but the electorate have stabbed her in the back as well. It's a lovely world, which is why I hate politics.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!