Tim Farron Resigns due to God...

• Tim Farron has said he is to step down as leader of the Liberal Democrats, less than a week after the election.

In a statement, he said he was "torn between living as a faithful Christian and serving as a political leader".

Tim Farron resigns

====

Who believes him? Not me.

So, he reckons his gay comments during the election has made him torn between his religion and his job as a political leader. Bollocks. He became political leader knowing he held whatever views he holds and still become leader.

I reckon he's seen the writing on the wall here. The Lib Dems were expected to do better in the election than they did and with Sir Vince back, I reckon Farron decided to jump before he's pushed. Perhaps he should give a little bit of friendly advise to our beloved PM on this matter of jumping before being pushed. :D

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Actually religious people often gravitate toward politics. I think, though, that he is right in his belief that you cannot mix the two. You can use the one to get the other some support and to try to control that support by the "in-group" psychology, but you can't serve two masters and Christianity does demand that you serve only one. Farron has chosen Jesus, even though I don't recall Jesus saying anything about gay people. Jesus' father, of course, is a famous gay hater.

None of which has anything to do with running an efficient administration of tax payer's funds.

• In a statement, he said he was "torn between living as a faithful Christian and serving as a political leader".

Personally I don't think any politician can be a Christian. It's an occupation that by it's very nature relies on colluding to mislead people if not telling them downright lies.

I'm afraid my view is that they virtually all would sell their principles or their grannies for a cabinet post. The only really honest one I could name is Dennis Skinner. I don't like his politics but he is a man of the highest principles in my view. He won't take promotion and won't even let anyone else buy him a cup of coffee in the House. He must be a brilliant local MP. Every time he tries to retire his constituents demand he stays.

I read his autobiography 'Sailing close to the wind.' a while ago

• .... ah, that will be one for my book club when I eventually get it up and running. Thanks, not heard of it.

I don't see politicians in the same negative light that you do Morgan. Some of them are liars and thieves, especially the ones that get to the top, but many are honest and hard working too.

I do get a little irritated when they say they have sacrificed their careers or personal lives for "service" to their country, they chose to do so. And for that "service" they earn a wage which most people can only dream about.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Deep religious beliefs are incompatible with a modern egalitarian society. He was doomed the moment he opened his mouth. Good riddance.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in red it is moderation. Take note.

• I was on a forum once where an acolyte declared that only Jesus could fix the mess Britain was in and so this demented individual was waiting eagerly for the second coming and wanted to die a martyr, but not violently, as that would be unpleasant. :S