Brexit negotiations to start 19th June

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Brexit secretary David Davis has said that he will meet his EU counterpart to begin negotiations over the UK's exit from the EU on Monday the 19th June.

It was going to be interesting before the election, but now the unexpected election result has added a whole new dimension.

They should sell tickets to it!

• May seems to have the Midas touch in reverse. Since she's been in number 10 there have been 2 terrorist attacks and now this fire to deal with plus of course the fateful election result. But as you say, she should have got on with the job of Brexit first.

• Indeed - and yet again, she hasn't helped herself at all - whereas May visited the scene and spoke to the brave services people who helped save lives, which was certainly commendable.....but she lost a lot of goodwill when being outshone by Corbyn , (yet again), when he was portrayed attempting to comfort some of the victims...... no wonder she visited the hospital later......perhaps she needs to recruit Corbyn's advisers!!

• She certainly needs a different spin doctor. So far her PR has been disasterous and as for the manifesto whoever wrote that should be taken out the back and shot.

I voted to LEAVE the EU not for some EU lite arrangement. Anything less than a complete divorce is IMHO a failure.

• Indeed - and yet again, she hasn't helped herself at all - whereas May visited the scene and spoke to the brave services people who helped save lives, which was certainly commendable.....but she lost a lot of goodwill when being outshone by Corbyn , (yet again), when he was portrayed attempting to comfort some of the victims...... no wonder she visited the hospital later......perhaps she needs to recruit Corbyn's advisers!!

She's not a leader, or at least not one who leads from the front. Oddly, never was Corbyn, but since the election result, his confidence has grown and he's coming across much better on tv than May.

• About bloody time, May should've got on with this rather than call a unnecessary election enough time has already been wasted.

May seems to have the Midas touch in reverse. Since she's been in number 10 there have been 2 terrorist attacks and now this fire to deal with plus of course the fateful election result. But as you say, she should have got on with the job of Brexit first.

I thought it was right that May called the election. No one voted for her as PM, so she needed that OK from the electorate and she needed the majority when she met her EU counterparts.

Thank goodness it all turned out well...X(:(

• She's not a leader, or at least not one who leads from the front. Oddly, never was Corbyn, but since the election result, his confidence has grown and he's coming across much better on tv than May.

Corbyn is showing his true colours now, though. After he used the fire in the tower block to try and shift May, I junked him as a decent human. After the recent anti-Islam backlash attack Corbyn will possibly go into overdrive and deplete what little integrity he has left. He's a user and he seems to shine only when he smells blood created by situations that offer him opportunities.

• I thought it was right that May called the election. No one voted for her as PM, so she needed that OK from the electorate and she needed the majority when she met her EU counterparts.

Thank goodness it all turned out well...X(:(

Technically no one actually votes for the PM they essentially vote for the candidate who will represent the constituency they live in, the leader of the party who gains the most constituencies/seats becomes the PM. ;)

• Brexit Secretary David Davis has said he is entering negotiations on the UK's exit from the EU in a "positive and constructive" frame of mind.

As he began talks in Brussels, he said he was determined to build a "strong and special partnership" with the EU.

Subjects for the negotiations include the status of expats, the UK's "divorce bill" and the Northern Ireland border.

Brexit talks begin

• Round one to the EU.:thumbdown:

The first day of negotiations has finished and the diary of events has been agreed but we have backed down already on the EU's demand that the exit is agreed before the future arrangements are sorted out, even though in the Article 50 text it clearly says the two can be discussed together.

What the EU want is our money. So, if the exit arrangements are agreed first without out any attention to what our future relationship with the EU will be post Brexit, what incentive is there for the EU to concede further down the line on what we want if they've got our dosh.

Not a good sign. Hope this improves soon.

Will post various news links on the first day later.

• She's not a leader, or at least not one who leads from the front. Oddly, never was Corbyn, but since the election result, his confidence has grown and he's coming across much better on tv than May.

Corbyn is blossoming as a weasel.

• I know where you are coming from LW.....but Corbyn has really only ever had one colour .... and that is RED!!! ;0)

Oh, yes, he's red. But one can negotiate with some reds as one can negotiate with some fascists. However, when tragedy struck, Corbyn got out his arsenal of dodgy manoeuvres and so I now class him as an opportunistic weasel.

• Oh, yes, he's red. But one can negotiate with some reds as one can negotiate with some fascists. However, when tragedy struck, Corbyn got out his arsenal of dodgy manoeuvres and so I now class him as an opportunistic weasel.

I'm sorry to hear you say that LW......it isn't like you to disparage animals....and weasels have to be opportunistic to survive.....

• I did feel a twinge of regret over the weasel and A.R. Lloyd's Kine Saga is one of my favourites. But in our metaphoric jargon, he's a weasel and the sooner he goes pop the better.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!