The Endless thread

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • Thank you everyone. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

She was very poorly and there were mulitple problems, but some of these we were getting on top of, but there you go. At least I was with her when it happened this morning.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Thank you everyone. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

She was very poorly and there were mulitple problems, but some of these we were getting on top of, but there you go. At least I was with her when it happened this morning.

Sorry to hear your sad news, Horizon. At least your Mum is not suffering any more. You seem to have done a good job looking after her all this time.

• So sorry, Horizon, but she is free from suffering. You have my eternal respect for the care you gave to both your parents. Quite incredible. <3

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• Thank you Norra.

I won't rant now about the State/NHS, but everyone makes it as hard as possible for the elderly.

• The NHS has not been working well for people in decades. We need to replace it, but that’s easier said than done.

• I agree it cannot cope with the amount of people it has to treat every single day , it needs to better organised run more efficiently which is easier said then done, simply throwing more money at it every year only papers over the cracks for a short time .

• It is a vicious circle. Patients complain - NHS says they need more money - government gives them more money - patients complain - NHS says they need more money, and so it goes on.

The NHS appears utterly incapable of reform to ensure it works more efficiently.

However, the government could introduce changes to kick start reform. First, it could enable people to use their NHS contributions and then top up with their own money the cost of private treatment. That would, in a stroke, reduce waiting lists for the benefit of all those who could not afford private treatment. Of course, the NHS would then have to cope with reducing funds, but it could address that by doing what it has failed to do for decades - improve efficiency.

We should then permit the private sector to takeover poorly performing hospitals, and keep going with these reforms until at last the NHS saw sense and started to introduce the efficiencies it sorely needs. If that is a step too far, then poorly performing hospitals could be dealt with by sending in a crack team of managers to shake it up and run the hospital free of some of the restrictions imposed in other hospitals.

Something radical must be done, that is for sure. But NHS management will have to see these ideas as a real threat before they actually awake from their slumbers.

• I agree , wife and I have had Private Medical Insurance for over 30 years , son gets it free from the Company he works for ,

Perhaps we should consider a system that operates in other countries in place in Europe, not 100% sure how it works apparently they contribute to their Health System via taxation , but every adult has to take out Private Insurance as well which to me makes sense

• Sorry to hear your sad news, Horizon.

The NHS does need changes and reform and not just money chucked at it.

I ended up in A&E the other month and waited 10 hours to be seen. As for a GP appointment, you have to phone at 8am to have any chance of getting an appointment and even then it doesn’t guarantee you an appointment. You’ll be asked ‘is it a medical emergency’? No wonder you then have people flocking to A&E because they can’t get help elsewhere.

The whole system from NHS through to social care is stretched and desperately needs a revamp and some new ideas that have been lacking for years.

• Yellow sticker meat bargain in Sainsbury's this afternoon: Organic half leg of lamb, was £16.93. Mine for £4.24

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Now that the days are getting longer I'm getting the solar powered rock lights sorted out on the patio: 6 are out at the moment and the other 4 have their batteries in the charger. The 6 lanterns are a much more difficult proposition as the plastic battery compartments have disintegrated with age. They took 2 AA batteries per lamp but now that AAA batteries have more capacity than the old AA I've sourced some wire ended AAA battery carriers that will be fitted in where the old carriers were.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• Yellow sticker meat bargain in Sainsbury's this afternoon: Organic half leg of lamb, was £16.93. Mine for £4.24

That's a very good bargain.

Meat is getting more and more expensive by the day - literally.

• Now that the days are getting longer I'm getting the solar powered rock lights sorted out on the patio: 6 are out at the moment and the other 4 have their batteries in the charger. The 6 lanterns are a much more difficult proposition as the plastic battery compartments have disintegrated with age. They took 2 AA batteries per lamp but now that AAA batteries have more capacity than the old AA I've sourced some wire ended AAA battery carriers that will be fitted in where the old carriers were.

How long does the light last on those?

• How long does the light last on those?

The lanterns were quite high quality with a large area silicon solar cell and two batteries. They would last all night with only several hours of full sun. They also have a clever reflector cone in the base and a the clear housing has a lens arrangement. They light up the area round the lantern for a couple of feet.

The rocks In their original form needed a full day in the sun for about 8 hours light. I have upgraded the solar cells and the batteries so now a full day of sun will work them for three nights when there is no sun.

Most of the offerings out there these days really are made down to a price

4312-gwban-gif

• That's really good Heero, especially with your own upgrades.

My scum neighbours (spit) have fairy lights dangling up on their fences and they seem to last about 2 hours. Utterly useless.

• Wife has some solar lights that look like to old fashioned street lamps 6 of them on the patio she loves them , me not such much I have put them out every summer then clean them off box them up when the winter arrives. :|

Just been sat in the sun oiling my fishing reels and cleaning me tackle , they can't touch you for it these days ;)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!