The Endless thread

• However I've sorted it out with a new approach: Something I didn't know existed is an IDE (PATA) to SATA bridge board. Small size: As long as the IDE connector on one end and about 1 1/2 inches deep.

I think I've got one of those in my machine, but it runs at IDE only speeds, though.

Glad its all sorted out, Heero.:thumbup:

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• but it runs at IDE only speeds, though.

That's true, but IDE speed with DMA knocks the socks off SATA II without.

Watched a movie last night ( Spacehunter ) no problems throughout.

I'm glad it's fixed too. Also means if I need to add more storage there's a second IDE channel that's only got the DVD writer on it.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in red it is moderation. Take note.

• Time to start getting the solar lamps and rocks ready to go out on the patio garden now it's getting decent sun. First 4 batteries are in the charger. There are ten rock lights that use a single AA battery and 5 spike lamps that use two. These are very old now but still give a good light. Much better than the cheap dross they sell these days. There were six but one has completely died.

The rock lights I upgraded the solar cells to triple power ones as the originals had gone opaque and the AA batteries to 2500 mAh types.

I usually have to clean up the battery contacts and apply some switch cleaner to prevent corrosion.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• I had some garden solar lights once, but I chucked them in the end. They only gave a few hours few of light and they were very dim, so have never bothered with them since.

• The ones they sell these days are awful. Tiny batteries and solar cells. Glow worm ornaments.

My lamps actually illuminate quite a good area round them and all night. Same for the rock lights now they've been enhanced.

4312-gwban-gif

• I might consider them if the quality ever improves, but what's being sold now doesn't make it worthwhile.

• Here's a little honesty question: I need to pick up a package from the Post Office in the town tomorrow. I also need to go to Lidl who provide 60 minutes of free parking. Do I do my shop and then pop over to the Post office.:/

4312-gwban-gif

• What was the outcome of your "moral" dilemma, Heero?:P

Seems like a cheap way to park to me. If you need to go in the town centre, just buy the cheapest thing from Lidl, thus guaranteeing your free parking.

Come to London and try and park and this "morals" soon get binned.^^

• What was the outcome of your "moral" dilemma, Heero? :P

I did my shop and then went to the PO to pick up the package. Only took an extra 10 mins or so and there were spare bays in the car park so I didn't deny someone else the convenience.

Silly really the package was about 4x6x5" but the things inside were tiny. Spare parts for my Braun electric razor that drive the cutters. They could have put them in a jiffy bag that would have fitted through the letter box. Oh well at least that's fixed.

4312-gwban-gif

• In the middle of battling plumbers at the moment.:thumbdown:||

Started to get a error message on my boiler a few weeks ago which has showed up a few more times since, so there is a problem with it, but London plumbers have a standard answer to any problem, "you need a new boiler." At £2000 plus, it's no cheap option, but every plumber that's come to my house so far has said this.

Isn't it amazing how plumbers can diagnose problems without every actually looking at the boilers themselves? You'd think they might just take the cover off and have a little look inside them, but no...:cursing:

• Started to get a error message on my boiler a few weeks ago which has showed up a few more times since, so there is a problem with it, but London plumbers have a standard answer to any problem, "you need a new boiler." At £2000 plus, it's no cheap option, but every plumber that's come to my house so far has said this.

Have you tried googling the code together with the make of the boiler?

I'm no expert but if the core is sound (no leaks) then other parts should be available to make a repair if the manufacturer is still in business. No doubt it's one of these modern condensing units. There are very few moving parts, mainly the gas control valve, water pump and the fan.

4312-gwban-gif

• Yep. It's either the PCB or valve and the price would still come in over £500.:( And if there are more problems, I'd still then need to pay for more parts.

Plus, the plumbers of told me about new legislation that came in last year called "boiler plus." Which in effect, means more money for plumbers..:thumbdown:

• We were going to start on GOT season 7 yesterday but the files are not in the correct format for the TV and the media server was transcoding on the fly from MP4 to M2TS (BluRay MPEG2). Unfortunately the poor old PC couldn't keep up so they kept stuttering.

I'm running the first one through Handbrake today and putting it in an mkv holder: x264 video and AAC sound. I'm sure the TV plays this native. When you're short of processor power the old maxim: "Do not do at run time what you can do at compile time" rings true. Handbrake reports that it will take about 7 hours to re-code it. If that's OK I'll queue the rest up in Handbrake and just leave the PC on.

4312-gwban-gif

Edited once, last by Heero Yuy: M2TS correction ().

• Transcoded file plays fine so I'll process the others. TV seems happiest with the mkv container. It can play mp4 and avi but it's somewhat inconsistent as codec support in these containers is not full. The mkv container handles subtitles better than others, useful with the animé shows and films I like, often the speech is only Japanese with English subs available.

4312-gwban-gif

• Something I noticed recently and wondered if it's true across the land:

On streets that run East / West the even numbered houses are on the South side. For streets that run North / South the even numbered houses are on the East side. Every where round me that seems to be true.

Is that the case in your neighbourhood?

4312-gwban-gif

• DOn't know Heero. On the rare chance I get to have a walk around in my area, I'll have a look. Come back to this at a future point.

• In Europe the most common house numbering scheme, in this article referred to as the "European" scheme, is to number each plot on one side of the road with ascending odd numbers, from 1, and those on the other with ascending even numbers, from 2 (or sometimes 0). The odd numbers are usually on the left side of the road, looking in the direction in which the numbers increase.

Looks like there is some convention to this.

4312-gwban-gif