The Endless thread

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Started to get a error message on my boiler a few weeks ago which has showed up a few more times since, so there is a problem with it, but London plumbers have a standard answer to any problem, "you need a new boiler." At £2000 plus, it's no cheap option, but every plumber that's come to my house so far has said this.

Have you tried googling the code together with the make of the boiler?

I'm no expert but if the core is sound (no leaks) then other parts should be available to make a repair if the manufacturer is still in business. No doubt it's one of these modern condensing units. There are very few moving parts, mainly the gas control valve, water pump and the fan.

• Yep. It's either the PCB or valve and the price would still come in over £500.:( And if there are more problems, I'd still then need to pay for more parts.

Plus, the plumbers of told me about new legislation that came in last year called "boiler plus." Which in effect, means more money for plumbers..:thumbdown:

• We were going to start on GOT season 7 yesterday but the files are not in the correct format for the TV and the media server was transcoding on the fly from MP4 to M2TS (BluRay MPEG2). Unfortunately the poor old PC couldn't keep up so they kept stuttering.

I'm running the first one through Handbrake today and putting it in an mkv holder: x264 video and AAC sound. I'm sure the TV plays this native. When you're short of processor power the old maxim: "Do not do at run time what you can do at compile time" rings true. Handbrake reports that it will take about 7 hours to re-code it. If that's OK I'll queue the rest up in Handbrake and just leave the PC on.

• Transcoded file plays fine so I'll process the others. TV seems happiest with the mkv container. It can play mp4 and avi but it's somewhat inconsistent as codec support in these containers is not full. The mkv container handles subtitles better than others, useful with the animé shows and films I like, often the speech is only Japanese with English subs available.

• Something I noticed recently and wondered if it's true across the land:

On streets that run East / West the even numbered houses are on the South side. For streets that run North / South the even numbered houses are on the East side. Every where round me that seems to be true.

Is that the case in your neighbourhood?

• In Europe the most common house numbering scheme, in this article referred to as the "European" scheme, is to number each plot on one side of the road with ascending odd numbers, from 1, and those on the other with ascending even numbers, from 2 (or sometimes 0). The odd numbers are usually on the left side of the road, looking in the direction in which the numbers increase.

Looks like there is some convention to this.

• They've never harmed me, so I leave them alone.

When I was a little kid (I was one once ^^) I was sat in my little pedal car and a wasp landed on my leg. Mum said "Leave it alone and it won't sting you" So I did and it did. After a second time of the same thing they get no mercy.

• Why is this place not better patronised? It seems OK to me, every forum has it's quirks and differences that's to be expected, but having looked around I'm surprised this place is, lets be kind and say less than busy. People I recognise havent posted for a while, I wonder why? I know forums come & go but it would appear a lot of work has gone into this place, not that I know anything about setting up a forum. I didn't start a thread because I think the last thing new posters want to see is "Why is this place not better patronised" It's a real shame because as I said, this place looks OK.

• I guess everyone is on Facebook now, Red. I doubt most forums will survive within the next five years or so, apart from the really big/commercial ones., but that's the way it goes. There's choices and people make them.

I'll keep plodding on, but I can't be here much at the moment for personal reasons, although have made an exception today because you and another new members signed on, but that's only because my circumstances have allowed.

There is also the obvious factor that people who use forums are older (as opposed to all age groups who use Facebook and Twitter) and the numbers are dwindling rapidly...:(

Please tell everyone you know about this site. Without active members, all forums will die.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!