The Endless thread

Please treat other members in a friendly and respectful manner: Our Community Guidelines.

• Only just got back in from the local beer garden. Nothing to note here. I'll check the news.

[Edit]

Seems to be down on the seafront at the pier. From the description of symptoms sounds like chlorine.

Story link here

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Just what people want on a summer's day by the seaside, ice cream with nice bit of toxic air to breathe in.X/

Glad you're ok Heero.:thumbup:

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Some speculation now that the chemicals had escaped from a sunken ship or dumped container:

This may have been the cause of the mystery cloud along the cast at Birling Gap. More details of the ships on the link.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• Just had my local builder in measuring up to get some estimates/quotes for some work I want done. Hopefully not too expensive. End point is a 3mtr wide full height bi-fold door in the rear of the property (South facing) leading into an almost full width conservatory which will open onto the patio garden. The space will be amazing as that will be from the kitchen-diner which is half the ground floor area of the house, conservatory which is about half that area and the garden which is about the same as the kitchen-diner.

There's some prep work that we need to do first like removal of a (non-supporting) chimney breast that I had converted into an arched alcove a while ago, finding new homes for the small chest freezer and dishwasher. The washing machine will stay in the new conservatory. Disconnection of various plumbing and isolating electrical circuits.

4312-gwban-gif

• Some speculation now that the chemicals had escaped from a sunken ship or dumped container:

This may have been the cause of the mystery cloud along the cast at Birling Gap. More details of the ships on the link.

I hope that is the case, because I was thinking that coming after the first incident a few years ago, it could be something more sinister

• Just had my local builder in measuring up to get some estimates/quotes for some work I want done. Hopefully not too expensive. End point is a 3mtr wide full height bi-fold door in the rear of the property (South facing) leading into an almost full width conservatory which will open onto the patio garden. The space will be amazing as that will be from the kitchen-diner which is half the ground floor area of the house, conservatory which is about half that area and the garden which is about the same as the kitchen-diner.

There's some prep work that we need to do first like removal of a (non-supporting) chimney breast that I had converted into an arched alcove a while ago, finding new homes for the small chest freezer and dishwasher. The washing machine will stay in the new conservatory. Disconnection of various plumbing and isolating electrical circuits.

Sounds great.:) How far into your garden will the new conservatory come aka how much of your garden will you lose, Heero?

None of my business, but is there any reason why you're not got for a proper full blown ground floor extension, rather than a conservatory as they always seem to have a temporary feel to them? That said, mine's been up for more than thirty years.

Hopefully they'll be a Heero's DIY/extension thread in the not too distant future with all the updates and piccies.;) Although I have zero knowledge on DIY, having had neighbours build extensions for what feels like 100 years, I am somewhat clued up to the subject a bit.^^

Didn't realise your back garden is south facing... envious.8)

• One word: Polish builders. Ah, wait, that's two.^^

If you want something done well and at a fair price, an Englishman is the last person you would employ.

• You will love your bi-fold doors and your conservatory, Heero. We have large bi-fold doors in both of our south facing rooms and it's almost like sitting outside when the weather is good and they are fully open. We have awnings over the doors too, for when it gets too hot, but they have to be manually wound in or out. The bi-fold doors are the one of the best and most appreciated improvements we have done to our bungalow.

ps. we had Englishmen fit them :)

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• How far into your garden will the new conservatory come

It's going to be as far out as the utility room is now, the only "loss" is to one side which is already down to concrete. As to why a conservatory: I like the way the light floods in, an ordinary extension would mean quite extensive ground works and would be too closed in for me.

4312-gwban-gif

• Are you going for a flat roof?

Well, lean to with a fairly shallow slope. This is to allow for a future covering in with polycarbonate roofing round the side of the house and adjacent garage to allow access without actually going outside.

I'll take plenty of pictures and create a thread as the works proceed.

4312-gwban-gif

• Reason I'm asking is about the light. You can get blinded by the light, especially as you're south facing. Any blinds going up?

My conservatory roof is shaded or whatever its called, it filters out a lot of the sunlight, but it comes blasting in through the upper windows instead, which is why I would never get a conservatory again.

It seems to be one or the other. Either it's too bright in there and you cook, or too dull and you freeze, depending on weather.

• I'll need blinds for the summer but in winter I want the passive solar heating.

4312-gwban-gif

• When are you hoping to start, presumably soon before the weather turns??

I said to the builder mid September to start to hopefully get things closed in before the bad weather sets in but the conservatory may have to wait until spring. Looking at the moment the Autumnal storms have arrived on cue.

4312-gwban-gif

• Hopefully, September should be decent and dry, so you might get some work done then. Weather wise, for London anyway, September tends to be our best month.

• Fidget, how do you find the doors, security wise? I know you've said you've had problems in the past.

We checked the security features of several makes before we placed an order. They have triple locking and automatic bolts into the top and bottom frames (operated by the handles).

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• That's interesting. My backdoor has bolts that go into the top and bottom frames, but they didn't come with the door and were installed afterwards. I find most doors to be very poor, security wise.

• These are our doors. You can't see the bolts at all, as they are built into the doors.

locking specification of bi-fold doors You need to scroll down a bit for the specs.

I gather Heero's doors will be internal, so maybe won't need high spec security.

• I gather Heero's doors will be internal, so maybe won't need high spec security.

Yes, they'll be inside the conservatory but more security is never a bad thing.

4312-gwban-gif

• Have you seen the spammer that's got loose over at CF. 18 posts and rising. No mods on-line. Someone's going to be busy.^^

4312-gwban-gif

• not seen those posts on CF.

There were no mods on site for about an hour. Damien drew the short straw to clear up the mess.^^

Defrosting the small chest freezer today in order to move it from the utility room to the kitchen-diner. Found quite a few ice cubes that had found their way down to the bottom. Nice touch on the unit is a drain plug in the base so no wet towels.

4312-gwban-gif

• Mine was well overdue but was fairly quick. I put a fan on the top to blow room air into the cabinet. Cleared in just over the hour. I did "peel" off the frost layers as they came loose.

I put the contents in a large insulated box and wrapped the rest in blankets. Got it mostly back in the same places as it was originally placed so I know where things are. My inventory indicates roughly where things are to minimise the amount of digging. The more frequently I use things the higher up they are.

Freezer was quite light when empty so it was easy to put it in the kitchen-diner where I want it to be. Conservatory is not the place to put a freezer.

4312-gwban-gif

• I'm a bit ashamed of the large chunk of ice that has formed in mine. Maybe when Mr Wing goes to Australia I will defrost it and do all the chores that have been waiting ...

You only live twice, or so it seems

One life for yourself, and one for your dreams