The Endless thread

• but the updates to our Bravia have now stopped

Well amazingly, yesterday evening the TV got a software update, took a minute or two and a couple of re-boots. I've not checked to see if the crash problem still exists on those .mkv files.

Must be something significant as the OS in the TV is a Sony version of Linux. Later models in the next year changed over to Android (Which is a flavour of Linux) and had the benefit of the apps store. Ours the apps are pre-loaded but quite comprehensive though we only really use the "Media Player" and the "Youtube" ones.

At least this update didn't reset my custom settings especially the external powered subwoofer.

Had a google search and this is the result from Sony:

About this download

Benefits and Improvements from the latest update

• Improves the support of encrypted content playback in certain streaming apps and services

Previous Benefits and Improvements

The following benefits and improvements are also included in this update.

• Improves the TV performance
    • Supports HbbTV functionality (on KD-85X9505B)
    • Resolves HDD recording failure for some satellite channels
    • Provides important security updates for your TV

We'll see what this does. It's 245MBytes so quite a lot.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Just occasionally the firmware in the set betrays itself with an error message: "The Android process has stopped." I guess it's a sort of hybrid. No evidence as to what the process is and the set still runs OK.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• Well the firmware update has changed something. Now instead of a crash and reboot the TV just gives a message: "Playback not possible" Sounds like a kludge to me.

I also came across on the Sony forum a users problem of the same thing but when playing an .mkv file via the USB input. The video team at Sony had analysed it and apparently it's some kind of arcane problem with some H.264 codecs when encoding the video to go in the .mkv container. They weren't specific and the respoder said it was too technical to post.

Looks like I'll have to pass the files through Handbrake and re-encode them. I'll try one of the smaller ones to see.

This is a very good program as you can queue files for conversion and leave the machine to get on with it.

4312-gwban-gif

• I've processed one episode through Handbrake still as a .mkv and it now plays fine. I get a warning message about "unsupported content" but this can be dismissed by pressing the subtitle button. I suspect it's a relic of what was originally causing the playback problem. I've now queued up all the episodes for conversion as it will take several days to re-process the files.

4312-gwban-gif

• Just bought in the last of the solar lanterns from the patio as they're beginning to struggle. Four are in pretty fair shape and the batteries are still partly charged. Two will need some work as the battery compartments have collapsed. Each one has 2x AA cells. I can get some AAA cell holders that will fit inside the spaces and these days the AAA cells have more capacity than the original AA cells that the lamps came with.

These were expensive lamps from about 15 years ago, have a large solar cell in a 4" round top and give a good light all night once fully charged. No comparisson with the cheap rubbish on sale nowadays.

I've bought in two of the larger solar rocks, the rest (4 big, 4 smaller) will need to come in soon as they don't get much direct sun during the winter months and leaving them out just corrodes the battery contacts and ruins the batteries. All of them I have given an upgrade with treble output solar cells and 2500mHr batteries instead of the 600 and 300 that were fitted.

4312-gwban-gif

• Super rocks!^^

If the lamps have lasted you fifteen years, you've had your money's worth out of them. Good buy, there.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• you've had your money's worth out of them. Good buy, there.

Yes, they've done well despite one having been chewed by something, probably a fox. IIRC they came from a shop in Penzance called pound stretcher. The acrylic lenses in the sides are starting to get a bit yellow but they keep going.

4312-gwban-gif

• It's very quiet on here this morning - hope it wasn't something I said? :huh:

There are none who do so much harm as those obsessed with doing good.

People are far more more likely to believe a lie if they want it to be the truth.

• It's very quiet on here this morning - hope it wasn't something I said? :huh:

I've been occupied getting business stuff ready for my accountant.

It's the greatest threat to our species. Climate change comes way down the list.

QFT

4312-gwban-gif

• I hope you get some respite care

24/7 caring is one of the most stressful things to do

My brother helps a bit and that's it. And talking of which, I've got to go now. I'll be up the whole night...

• I'm a full time carer 24/7, so can only be here sometimes.

I've been there. :( And I don't mean parents.

I think this forum is new, so if more quality members join it'll become more active.

People are far more more likely to believe a lie if they want it to be the truth.

• I was inactive here yesterday because Mr Wing was in hospital and is home today so I am looking after him, mostly trying to stop him doing too much :rolleyes: and making sure he takes his medication. Have to try and stop him going into the workshop.

You only live twice, or so it seems

One life for yourself, and one for your dreams

• I was inactive here yesterday because Mr Wing was in hospital and is home today so I am looking after him, mostly trying to stop him doing too much :rolleyes: and making sure he takes his medication. Have to try and stop him going into the workshop.

Hope he is soon better, have you shared with us why he was hospitalised?

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• Hernia surgery. Taking the dog for a walk the muckle great beast saw a cat and suddenly swerved in a lunge. Mr Wing wasn't concentrating and no doubt thinking about one of his seemingly endless inventions or projects and so he got yanked across the road unexpectedly and tore the hernia. It hurt him for months until he decided he'd have to have it fixed. So yesterday he went into one of these 24 hour day hospitals.

• Amazing the way surgery has advanced. He came out of the anaesthetic so quickly too. I remember it taking forever for me to wake up in 1969. He was having lunch in the hospital an hour after he woke up.

• Hernia surgery. Taking the dog for a walk the muckle great beast saw a cat and suddenly swerved in a lunge. Mr Wing wasn't concentrating and no doubt thinking about one of his seemingly endless inventions or projects and so he got yanked across the road unexpectedly and tore the hernia. It hurt him for months until he decided he'd have to have it fixed. So yesterday he went into one of these 24 hour day hospitals.

A walk in the park if it's only a small one, which given the circumstance is sounds as if it is. I had an inguinal one, caused by constant lifting of my 'patient'; it was done laparoscopically and I experienced no pain whatever. Just an overnight observation stay because I had nobody at home to phone 999 if something went wrong, and I was out and about the very next day.

• It was a longish tear. He had open surgery. He was in agony for a while after he came home and then it seemed to settle into the usual discomfort from a surgery incision. He has to get the stitches out on Tuesday. He lifts heavy stuff a lot in his home workshop so I have to watch him but as he doesn't want to have that done all over again (and pay for it all himself) he will be careful not to stuff the works. ... I hope.

• Amazing the way surgery has advanced. He came out of the anaesthetic so quickly too. I remember it taking forever for me to wake up in 1969. He was having lunch in the hospital an hour after he woke up.

Here you pretty well go in for heart surgery in the morning and you are home at teatime

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• Yes, marvellous. They put in stents now too, whereas my Dad had two veins taken out of his legs and used to repair his heart in triple bypass. I nearly died of fright when they brought him home. He was in intensive care as well. Yet at the time, these operations were saving lives and the most advanced there was.

The thing I like most about modern civilization is the advances in medical procedures and dentistry. If one could go back to a nicer age and take cell phones, personal computers and medical procedures of today with one, I'd get in that time machine now.

• When I was in hospital a young man was admitted who had suffered a heart attack whilst here on holiday. They starved him overnight, and told him he would have surgery in the morning. He was absolutely terrified and had a sleepless night, the rest of us on the ward tried to reassure him but to no avail

Off he went first thing, returning at around 10am having had stents fitted, and in the afternoon the consultant arrived and told him to go and carry on with his holiday. To say he was relieved would be an understatement. He popped back in before returning home to bring cream cakes for all his friends on the ward who had "carried him" through the op

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• I've been there. :( And I don't mean parents.

I think this forum is new, so if more quality members join it'll become more active.

Hope so, but its managed to chug along quite nicely, so I'm pretty happy with things.:)

Sorry to hear you've had experience of dementia yourself.

This site was created, in part, to talk about my experiences of looking after my Dad which I did for over ten years. He died in 2016. Unfortunately, my experiences with dementia weren't to remain in the past and I pretty much say zero on the subject, as it essentially my life 24/7. Apart from here, I have no other outlet, so it's the last thing I want to talk about.

People who think it's all about just forgetting a few things, haven't got a clue.

It was a longish tear. He had open surgery. He was in agony for a while after he came home and then it seemed to settle into the usual discomfort from a surgery incision. He has to get the stitches out on Tuesday. He lifts heavy stuff a lot in his home workshop so I have to watch him but as he doesn't want to have that done all over again (and pay for it all himself) he will be careful not to stuff the works. ... I hope.

Sorry to hear of his accident. Wish him well from me LW, glad he's okay.:):thumbup:

I could right a book on the subject of hernias, but like many things, it's still a "live" issue at the moment with devastating consequences.

A walk in the park if it's only a small one, which given the circumstance is sounds as if it is. I had an inguinal one, caused by constant lifting of my 'patient'; it was done laparoscopically and I experienced no pain whatever. Just an overnight observation stay because I had nobody at home to phone 999 if something went wrong, and I was out and about the very next day.

Glad you're okay now.:thumbup:

• "People who think it's all about just forgetting a few things, haven't got a clue."

For seven years when I was working I had an Alzheimers patient, four times a day. Initially he was "on his legs" until he fell down the stairs and was hospitalised for a few weeks, He never walked a gain which in a way was a relief because his wife knew where he was

In the latter years he progressed to the very violent stage and would strike out at anybody, his right arm and fist were dangerous. This included his wife and any carer who was working with him

I have to say that I was happy to retire, and not have to visit him anymore, It was very vert stressful

He died not long afterwards, and his wife had to be persuaded to let his body leave the house

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• Got a film down for tonight: Men in Black 3. Nice 1080p copy.

Not looked at the reviews so we can see if it's as good as the first two without spoilers.

4312-gwban-gif

• Not see that one Heero, perhaps you might post a review here when you've seen it.;)

I might talk about my current experiences in the future (and depress everyone...), but unlike my dealing with my Dad which was a slow progression of his diseases over many years, this time around it's the complete opposite. Everything and I mean everything, is happening all at the same time.

• I think it's a good thing to let people know exactly what is involved

If you believed the TV portrayal you would expect to sit around smiling and joining in singing "We''ll meet again"

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out