but the updates to our Bravia have now stopped
Well amazingly, yesterday evening the TV got a software update, took a minute or two and a couple of re-boots. I've not checked to see if the crash problem still exists on those .mkv files.
Must be something significant as the OS in the TV is a Sony version of Linux. Later models in the next year changed over to Android (Which is a flavour of Linux) and had the benefit of the apps store. Ours the apps are pre-loaded but quite comprehensive though we only really use the "Media Player" and the "Youtube" ones.
At least this update didn't reset my custom settings especially the external powered subwoofer.
Had a google search and this is the result from Sony:
About this download
Benefits and Improvements from the latest update
- Improves the support of encrypted content playback in certain streaming apps and services
Previous Benefits and Improvements
The following benefits and improvements are also included in this update.
- Improves the TV performance
- Supports HbbTV functionality (on KD-85X9505B)
- Resolves HDD recording failure for some satellite channels
- Provides important security updates for your TV
We'll see what this does. It's 245MBytes so quite a lot.