The Endless thread

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • I'm a full time carer 24/7, so can only be here sometimes.

I've been there. :( And I don't mean parents.

I think this forum is new, so if more quality members join it'll become more active.

• I was inactive here yesterday because Mr Wing was in hospital and is home today so I am looking after him, mostly trying to stop him doing too much :rolleyes: and making sure he takes his medication. Have to try and stop him going into the workshop.

• I was inactive here yesterday because Mr Wing was in hospital and is home today so I am looking after him, mostly trying to stop him doing too much :rolleyes: and making sure he takes his medication. Have to try and stop him going into the workshop.

Hope he is soon better, have you shared with us why he was hospitalised?

• Hernia surgery. Taking the dog for a walk the muckle great beast saw a cat and suddenly swerved in a lunge. Mr Wing wasn't concentrating and no doubt thinking about one of his seemingly endless inventions or projects and so he got yanked across the road unexpectedly and tore the hernia. It hurt him for months until he decided he'd have to have it fixed. So yesterday he went into one of these 24 hour day hospitals.

• Amazing the way surgery has advanced. He came out of the anaesthetic so quickly too. I remember it taking forever for me to wake up in 1969. He was having lunch in the hospital an hour after he woke up.

• Hernia surgery. Taking the dog for a walk the muckle great beast saw a cat and suddenly swerved in a lunge. Mr Wing wasn't concentrating and no doubt thinking about one of his seemingly endless inventions or projects and so he got yanked across the road unexpectedly and tore the hernia. It hurt him for months until he decided he'd have to have it fixed. So yesterday he went into one of these 24 hour day hospitals.

A walk in the park if it's only a small one, which given the circumstance is sounds as if it is. I had an inguinal one, caused by constant lifting of my 'patient'; it was done laparoscopically and I experienced no pain whatever. Just an overnight observation stay because I had nobody at home to phone 999 if something went wrong, and I was out and about the very next day.

• It was a longish tear. He had open surgery. He was in agony for a while after he came home and then it seemed to settle into the usual discomfort from a surgery incision. He has to get the stitches out on Tuesday. He lifts heavy stuff a lot in his home workshop so I have to watch him but as he doesn't want to have that done all over again (and pay for it all himself) he will be careful not to stuff the works. ... I hope.

• Amazing the way surgery has advanced. He came out of the anaesthetic so quickly too. I remember it taking forever for me to wake up in 1969. He was having lunch in the hospital an hour after he woke up.

Here you pretty well go in for heart surgery in the morning and you are home at teatime

• Yes, marvellous. They put in stents now too, whereas my Dad had two veins taken out of his legs and used to repair his heart in triple bypass. I nearly died of fright when they brought him home. He was in intensive care as well. Yet at the time, these operations were saving lives and the most advanced there was.

The thing I like most about modern civilization is the advances in medical procedures and dentistry. If one could go back to a nicer age and take cell phones, personal computers and medical procedures of today with one, I'd get in that time machine now.

• When I was in hospital a young man was admitted who had suffered a heart attack whilst here on holiday. They starved him overnight, and told him he would have surgery in the morning. He was absolutely terrified and had a sleepless night, the rest of us on the ward tried to reassure him but to no avail

Off he went first thing, returning at around 10am having had stents fitted, and in the afternoon the consultant arrived and told him to go and carry on with his holiday. To say he was relieved would be an understatement. He popped back in before returning home to bring cream cakes for all his friends on the ward who had "carried him" through the op

• I've been there. :( And I don't mean parents.

I think this forum is new, so if more quality members join it'll become more active.

Hope so, but its managed to chug along quite nicely, so I'm pretty happy with things.:)

Sorry to hear you've had experience of dementia yourself.

This site was created, in part, to talk about my experiences of looking after my Dad which I did for over ten years. He died in 2016. Unfortunately, my experiences with dementia weren't to remain in the past and I pretty much say zero on the subject, as it essentially my life 24/7. Apart from here, I have no other outlet, so it's the last thing I want to talk about.

People who think it's all about just forgetting a few things, haven't got a clue.

It was a longish tear. He had open surgery. He was in agony for a while after he came home and then it seemed to settle into the usual discomfort from a surgery incision. He has to get the stitches out on Tuesday. He lifts heavy stuff a lot in his home workshop so I have to watch him but as he doesn't want to have that done all over again (and pay for it all himself) he will be careful not to stuff the works. ... I hope.

Sorry to hear of his accident. Wish him well from me LW, glad he's okay.:):thumbup:

I could right a book on the subject of hernias, but like many things, it's still a "live" issue at the moment with devastating consequences.

A walk in the park if it's only a small one, which given the circumstance is sounds as if it is. I had an inguinal one, caused by constant lifting of my 'patient'; it was done laparoscopically and I experienced no pain whatever. Just an overnight observation stay because I had nobody at home to phone 999 if something went wrong, and I was out and about the very next day.

Glad you're okay now.:thumbup:

• "People who think it's all about just forgetting a few things, haven't got a clue."

For seven years when I was working I had an Alzheimers patient, four times a day. Initially he was "on his legs" until he fell down the stairs and was hospitalised for a few weeks, He never walked a gain which in a way was a relief because his wife knew where he was

In the latter years he progressed to the very violent stage and would strike out at anybody, his right arm and fist were dangerous. This included his wife and any carer who was working with him

I have to say that I was happy to retire, and not have to visit him anymore, It was very vert stressful

He died not long afterwards, and his wife had to be persuaded to let his body leave the house

• Not see that one Heero, perhaps you might post a review here when you've seen it.;)

"People who think it's all about just forgetting a few things, haven't got a clue."

For seven years when I was working I had an Alzheimers patient, four times a day. Initially he was "on his legs" until he fell down the stairs and was hospitalised for a few weeks, He never walked a gain which in a way was a relief because his wife knew where he was

In the latter years he progressed to the very violent stage and would strike out at anybody, his right arm and fist were dangerous. This included his wife and any carer who was working with him

I have to say that I was happy to retire, and not have to visit him anymore, It was very vert stressful

He died not long afterwards, and his wife had to be persuaded to let his body leave the house

I might talk about my current experiences in the future (and depress everyone...), but unlike my dealing with my Dad which was a slow progression of his diseases over many years, this time around it's the complete opposite. Everything and I mean everything, is happening all at the same time.

• I think it's a good thing to let people know exactly what is involved

If you believed the TV portrayal you would expect to sit around smiling and joining in singing "We''ll meet again"

• I do get more than a little annoyed when I see all the charities on tv ads, or people being interviewed from the charities (by the way, the charities are utter crap, but I get onto that another time) and they always talk about the earliest stages of dementia, as you say when people are laughing and joking.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!