The Endless thread

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • The one downside of being on the coast is that it can be very windy. It's the same wind that keeps the clouds inland so we often get sunshine when the rest of the country is shrouded in cloud like today. Hence "Sunny Worthing"

If you can get out of the wind it can be surprisingly warm even in the middle of winter. There's been times when we can sit out in the locals beer garden even in January - Jeans and T-shirts. By the same token you can be lashed by gales and rain.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• That's quite similar to London weather actually. Being in the Thames valley, we are sheltered from the worst that the weather can throw at us and overall it is much warmer than most of the country, well that is, with the exception of this summer!

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Meds changed and brain back in gear at last. Looking forward to staying awake for more than a couple of hours at a stretch and not having to make endless notes to ensure that I know what is happening from one hour to the next.

Oh and it's raining and grey in Manchester for a change. < sigh>

• Glad to hear you're feeling better Jo. No rain at the moment here just dull, grey and damp.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• Our cold snap is leaving and today everything came back and Mother Nature turned up her lamp. A stack of sparrows are arguing in a tree. I think it's time for the offspring to leave and they don't want to go.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• Meds changed and brain back in gear at last. Looking forward to staying awake for more than a couple of hours at a stretch and not having to make endless notes to ensure that I know what is happening from one hour to the next.

Oh and it's raining and grey in Manchester for a change. < sigh>

I read on Cable Forum you were unwell Jo, but didn't realise it was that bad. I hope its not too serious.

Get well.:thumbup:

• After about page 7 of the first Brexit document, I gave up yesterday! It's not like reading an exciting novel. Will try again later, but the negotiations resume next week, so all the info will become quickly redundant.

Without spoiling it, that episode of Game of Thrones yesterday, was superb. I thought, sod Brexit, I watched that episode three times.:)

• Out in my garden this afternoon and doing various other things too. It's been nice and warm and STILL neighbour free.:) The neighbour does work, but he works on the railways and because its still highly unionised, he can pretty much do as he pleases, which he does.

I have my trip to Curry's in a few days, I'm taking deep breaths.. I am sure I'll be met with warm sunny smilies from the assistants and will bask in their helpfulness.:)

• I have my trip to Curry's in a few days, I'm taking deep breaths.. I am sure I'll be met with warm sunny smilies from the assistants and will bask in their helpfulness.

That's why I prefer to buy on-line. I don't have to deal with the spotty oiks who desperately want to sell you product insurance and know f all about what they're selling.

The last tube telly I bought came from a local independent dealer as Currys didn't have the model I wanted. The spotty oik tried to fob me off with a Goodmans. I wanted a top of the range Philips 28" 100Hz Matchline and eventually paid £1100 to a local dealer who delivered and set up free the same day. The set still runs fine but has been superseded by a Sony Bravia 42" 1080p smart TV

I did buy my recent washing machine from Currys, but on line, and even booked them to remove the old machine for recycling. I had seen the machine in action (1400 spin was impressive) as it was one that my younger sister had got for my mother when her old machine died. Currys were still knocking them out at sub £200.

4312-gwban-gif

• I've got to see what the fridge freezers are actually like Heero, otherwise I would go online.

The worst store is PC World and lo and behold, I am told that the Currys and PC World in Lakeside are now one store, both owned by the same owner.

PC World was always absolutely diabolical. You would go in there and ask the staff for advice and they would just stare at you as if speaking an alien language, then go back to their gaming. Hated that place.

I am sure it will be okay. I am sure it will be okay. I am sure it will be okay. I am sure it will be okay.

If I say it enough times, it will be so.:)

• I might watch the last few episodes of Game of Thrones again, this evening. This series has been superb. You will love it Heero, when you catch up with them.

• I am sure it will be okay. I am sure it will be okay. I am sure it will be okay. I am sure it will be okay.

If I say it enough times, it will be so.

I'm sure that with enough testicular fortitude you'll be OK.;)

I'd spy out which model is the one you want and then skedaddle before you get pinned down by a spotty oik.

Then get it on-line from the cheapest source.

4312-gwban-gif

• I need it, because I lost all that food a week or two back and I need to restock. Their website says they do next day delivery. We'll see...

• A bit of politics news, but Andew Neil is stepping down as presenter of the Sunday Politics, he's still doing the other shows, but obviously had enough of working on Sundays.

Although he has an ego bigger than the Blackwall Tunnel, he is the best political interrogator on TV, so it is a loss.

Noticed Nick Ferrari doing Newsnight, I wonder if that's what's pissed Neil off. He always wanted that job.

• PC World and Currys have had the same owner for ages, they are just now combining their stores. I prefer to go in and look but just ignore the salespeople. They're earning shit money and get treated like shit so I find it tough to moan about them, I just politely but firmly avoid them.

• I'll be nice to them, Hoxton. :) But will they be nice to me?

• heero ; I had a Philips 100hz matchline tv from 1999 until 2014 when I bought this flat one we watch now. The Philips sound & picture were awesome. It went to the tip fully working-I couldnt give it away!

Loon.

• I am ashamed to say, I had one of the old CRT widescreen tvs that also went to the tip fully working too. The picture on it was great. I did try to sell it, then give it away, but no one was interested.

• horizon ; if you are looking at televisions I can recommend this one we have, Philips 8000.

Fridge Freezers, ming mong. Food is top priority for me, even above that of tv.:)

I have a 2013 Samsung smart tv, that isn't smart, but is still pretty good. Plus, it has the world's best app on it, Plex, so will only get rid of that once it goes wrong.

• Out in my garden this afternoon and doing various other things too. It's been nice and warm and STILL neighbour free.:) The neighbour does work, but he works on the railways and because its still highly unionised, he can pretty much do as he pleases, which he does.

That reminds me of the time I had a neighbour who worked on the railways. We were quite friendly until one day, as I was getting the car out of the garage, he walked up, I said ' Hello Ray.' whereupon he opened the car door and punched me straight in the face!

It turned out that he was a manic depressive or something and had a tendency to attack people just like that. Apparently he moved from his last house because he'd done the same thing to one of his neighbours and lost jobs as well because he'd attacked colleagues, but his wife had never told anybody. Fortunately he moved soon after. Much to my relief.

• heero ; I had a Philips 100hz matchline tv from 1999 until 2014 when I bought this flat one we watch now. The Philips sound & picture were awesome. It went to the tip fully working-I couldnt give it away!

Yes picture and sound are fantastic especially the built in sub woofer. I particularly liked that you could have different settings on each channel and source. For the VCR having the frame filter cranked up got rid of all the tape noise in the picture.

I'd like to put it in our bedroom but it's just so damn heavy to try and get up the stairs.

I'd checked with friends in the TV trade as to which was the most reliable chassies and they universally said the Matchline 100Hz series. Fault free throughout and apart from a slight tweak to the focus as the tube aged needed no other attention.

The Sony Bravia also has a great picture and features. With the thin silver bezel the picture just "floats" in space but even with a 100 Watt subwoofer added the sound still is not a patch on the Philips.

4312-gwban-gif

• That reminds me of the time I had a neighbour who worked on the railways. We were quite friendly until one day, as I was getting the car out of the garage, he walked up, I said ' Hello Ray.' whereupon he opened the car door and punched me straight in the face!

It turned out that he was a manic depressive or something and had a tendency to attack people just like that. Apparently he moved from his last house because he'd done the same thing to one of his neighbours and lost jobs as well because he'd attacked colleagues, but his wife had never told anybody. Fortunately he moved soon after. Much to my relief.

I've a lot to say about neighbours, although thankfully, the worst part of it is history now. But look out for my neighbours from hell thread at some point in the future.

• The Sony Bravia also has a great picture and features. With the thin silver bezel the picture just "floats" in space but even with a 100 Watt subwoofer added the sound still is not a patch on the Philips.

When I'm in Currys, I will have a quick look at the 4k tvs as they're meant to have that same floating/2d quality to them. My current tv is perfectly adequate, but when it does come to replacement, it wll be a 4k or 8k (if they're around then) which I'll be looking at.

• I've a lot to say about neighbours, although thankfully, the worst part of it is history now. But look out for my neighbours from hell thread at some point in the future.

We're lucky to have nice neighbours.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• the best set weve ever had. The Philips we have now sounds good for a flatscreen but now we have a pair of wharfdale speakers hanging either side of it on the wall. These were wired up to the speaker terminals inside ( once the 2 year guarantee had ran out I unscrewed the back to do it ? ) and the sound is great with about the 5 watts a channel the tv puts out.

Loon.

• We're lucky to have nice neighbours.

I've had some good neighbours too I'm pleased to say. One so much so that she offered to sell us her house at 60% of the market value ( We rented when we first got married.) because she was so grateful that we'd helped her out on some personal matters.

• Well, went to Currys today...It's a massive store in Lakeside (West Thurrock).

Last time I was in a Currys store was several years ago and as I said earlier in the thread, the Currys and PC World stores have been combined. This new store was actually next to the old one, but it's about four times the size, spread over two floors. Huge.

It started well. Went into the entrance to be met with gorgeous 4k tvs, so looked at them for a while. Could see a load of staff around, another good sign, although they looked their usual bored self. Nothing changes.

As my leg is still playing up and I wanted to spend at least a few hours looking around the fridge freezers, didn't really look at anything else in the store apart from the drones. Another thing that didn't exist the last time I visited Currys.

The fridge freezers were upstairs, so I mounted the escalators with enthusiasm as so far the experience had been good, but that quickly evaporated as I entered the first floor.

Only three staff around that we could see and on getting of the escalators and seeing my brother and I, two of the staff seemingly teleported instantaneously somewhere else. OK, I thought, no matter, I want to look around for a few hours, which we did.

As with all electronics, the quality of stuff deteriorates with each year. We looked at every fridge freezer there and as Hoxton highlighted earlier, some of them do have screens and cameras in too. Actually, I thought the huge American style fridge freezers were awful. You open one side of a fridge or freezer and expose the whole unit to room temperature air. Very inefficient, but they were beyond my price range anyway. I only needed something to stick in the garage.

I didn't need a drinks dispenser unit and it wasn't going to be plumbed in, so that ruled out about half the units. The drinks dispensers really take up a lot of room in the fridge, so really did dislike them.

I am glad I physically looked around everything rather than buying online as it became immediately apparent that the size of the freezer compartments/doors as compared to fridge freezers when I last looked at them, had shrunk considerably. I wanted frost free, so naturally they were all smaller than manual units.

We measured the size of the freezer compartments and they were about half the depth of the actual fridge freezers themselves, really tiny. In the end it only came down to a choice of 2 units which had big enough compartments, so that makes the buying decision easier.

Then the fun started...

We decided on a Hotpoint unit and were standing right next to a till. A staff member was there, but she was serving other people, so, we though we'd wait. After she served them, she told us she'd be back in a minute and we never saw her again.

So, we went hunting for staff. Nowhere to be seen. Ten minutes later, I found one hiding behind a washing machine and said I would like do buy a fridge freezer. He asked which one it was and I said it was Hotpoint unit and he said, "I don't do Hotpoint."

I didn't want him to have sex with the Hotpoint fridge freezer, but as I remembered I was in Essex proper and the use of language by the locals is even worse than my own, so I asked him to clarify. His reply was, "I don't do Hotpoint, I do Samsung." My reply using his lingo was, "I don't want Samsung, I want Hotpoint." He said he would get the Hotpoint guy.

Five minutes later the Hotpoint bloke arrived. He looked quite chirpy, so I thought finally, I'll get to buy this thing now and get the hell out of here as my patience was starting to crack.

I said I wanted to buy the Hotpoint fridge freezer we were all standing by, he asked if we wanted information on the unit we were buying, I said no. He looked puzzled... I repeated my request, he repeated his reply. My brother at this point was about to explode, so I tried one last time and said I wanted to buy the fridge freezer, his reply was, "I can't do that."

As I could feel my blood pressure rising, I did just walk away for a bit, but I gathered later on from my brother that the man worked for Hotpoint and not Currys and was only there to promote Hotpoint products, not sell them...

A few minutes later I came back to my brother ranting and lecturing the Hotpoint man on sales. My brother has worked in a retail environment and was not impressed. By this time, the Hotpoint man was starting to squirm being on the receiving end of my brother's rant/lecture.

I interrupted both of them to remind them I wanted to buy a fridge freezer. The Hotpoint man said he would get someone. At this point, there was another staff member nearby, but as soon as the Hotpoint man turned round and spotted him, he scarped off.

Five minutes later another staff member arrived. We asked her if she was capable of using a till and she said she was. She was actually very efficient and did it the transaction in two minutes and asked if we wanted delivery tomorrow and I said yes.

My leg was starting to kill me by this point and I wanted to get the hell out of there. I hobbled over to the escalators, but they weren't working. I spotted a lift around the corner, but it had ticker tape around it blocking it off, as if there had been a murder in the lift. I felt like homicide myself at this point, so wasn't surprised if someone had taken some of the Jamie Oliver range of knives to one of the staff member's throats.

Found the stairs, hobbled down them, past the 4k tvs on the ground floor and got the hell out of there. Supposedly, the fridge freezer is coming tomorrow, we'll see.

It will be another seven years before I set foot in that bloody store again.:)

Part 2 tomorrow.