VM Routers hacking risk

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • Virgin Media has told 800,000 customers to change their passwords to protect against being hacked.

An investigation by Which? found that hackers could access the provider's Super Hub 2 router, allowing access to users' smart appliances

VM Routers Hacking Risk

=====

I wonder if we're getting the whole truth here...

Are they saying to change passwords to prevent a possible hacking attack, or, have they had a hacking attack and VM are covering it up and advising us customers to change passwords as a precaution after the event.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Good luck with finding out the answer to that!

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• I have the SH3 and always change the default password so hopefully I am safe.

I found the link to Which? quite interesting.

snippet.......In our hacking investigation, we targeted a real home that used the Virgin Media Super Hub 2 router for its cable broadband. The user had remained on the relatively weak default password – only eight characters long, using just lowercase letters from an A-Z alphabet, with two letters removed.
    Using publicly available hacking tools that can be found on the web, we were able to crack the router password in just a few days. We were also able to log in to the router’s configuration page, since the default password for doing so is shared across all Super Hub 2 devices.

Following our successful hack of the Virgin router, we were effectively inside the home network and could target other connected devices. In the age of smart devices and the ‘internet of things’, this sort of security vulnerability is particularly concerning. The good news is that since we made Virgin Media aware of the vulnerability, the company has been quick to respond. Its newer Super Hub 3.0 is far more secure (see more below), and Virgin Media is upgrading customers to this device. But in the meantime, it’s also advising Super Hub 2 owners to change their passwords.

Read more: http://www.which.co.uk/news/20…er-hub-2-password-change/ - Which?

So hopefully VM are not hiding an existing attack.

• That's interesting Jo, thanks.

So, its not something that has happened to VM, but Which routing (pardon the pun) around.

I will need to look at my passwords, as now that Which has publicised this, every hacker in the world is going to try and hack into out routers.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Emphasises again the advantages of putting their kit in modem mode and using your own routing / Wi-Fi equipment with comprehensive management options. My SH1 when I installed it was immediately put in modem mode as I've had my own routers, network and switches since we had the 256Kbs ("Broadband") service though the Pace 4000 STB. Currently on 70Mbs.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• I feel as though this thread is being conducted in Japanese.

• Gomen Wing San.^^

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• No problem, I'm just sayin'. ^^

I'll get into some hefty literary analysis one day and see if you digi-peasants don't think that's Martian. :evil: