John Bercow: MPs don't need to wear ties

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • Male MPs do not need to wear ties in the House of Commons chamber, Speaker John Bercow has said.

In a break with tradition, Mr Bercow said MPs should wear "businesslike attire" but that it was not essential for this to include ties.

Parliamentary custom is for male MPs to wear jackets and ties in the chamber.

Mr Bercow was speaking after Tory backbencher Peter Bone said he had spotted an MP - who was Lib Dem Tom Brake - asking a question tieless.

.............. "I think the general expectation is that members should dress in businesslike attire," Mr Bercow replied. "So far as the chair is concerned... it seems to me that as long as a member arrives in the House in what might be thought to be businesslike attire, the question of whether that member is wearing a tie is not absolutely front and centre stage."

MPs should not be disrespectful towards their colleagues or the House of Commons, he said, but added: "Do I think it's essential that a member wears a tie? No."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40446102

I may be old fashioned but to me this seems to be yet another erosion of standards. Before we know where we are we'll have MPs appearing with 3 days growth of beard which also seems to acceptable nowadays.

• Your not going to like Me, Morgan.

At my ex employer (PwC) the departments I last worked for were VERY conservative with a capital C, they were all primarily legal based, so pin striped suits were the order of the day. Except me. I took my tie off in the end and it stayed off. It did get some remarks, but there was nothing in the dress code to say I couldn't and besides, there were countless others in different departments who didn't wear ties either.

I do agree, in part, about your concerns surrounding slipping of standards. If the men start coming in unshaven, shirts half unbuttoned exposing hairy chests and golden medallions ...lol...then yes, that would be a step too far.

My problem, well actually there are several, but for now, my main problem in the chamber is Bercow himself. A total idiot. Unprofessional, smug, always looking for the catchphrase. Attention should be on him specifically, rather than what MPs wear. Talking of which, have you ever seen coverage of the Scottish Parliament Morgan? What do you think of it? Lots of no tie wearers there?:)

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Last time I wore a tie was to my brother-in-laws funeral several years ago. I'm a T-shirt, jeans/shorts and trainers type guy. I think the tie is on the way out anyway as a requirement of dress code except for very formal occasions and who these days wears a V-neck sweater? I ceratinly don't judge a man's ability to do his job on whether he wears a tie or not.

However I do agree with H that scruffyness is to be abhored especially the current trend of half shaven young men in baggy, ill-fitting clothes. To me that's just lazy.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• I'm a girl, so ties don't bother me, but when I had to wear one for the school uniform at my first school I learned to detest them with a passion.

I dress like a water gypsy and will never be a politician, so I can't comment, but do think those in the public eye in certain occupations, should look well turned out.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• I don't really care either way what other people wear but in my last firm we had company shirts and jumpers. Much preferred that to having to choose for myself what to wear everyday.

• When I first started work at just barely 16 in a office, some people got the "brilliant" idea that staff members, especially the junior ones, should wear a uniform. I objected and won.:)

That was my first official protest and pretty much last.

• I am a detester of uniforms.

But Hox has a point about comfortable work wear that gives you something to put on every day that isn't going to strangle you or cut off your circulation.

• Wonder what his informal onesie is like? ^^

• ....I could say something naughty there, but I'll restrain myself.;)

I would like there to be more choice for men as to what to wear beyond the traditional suit and I'm not talking about dresses! But if you look at how Therese May dresses for PMQs, she is smart but the female suit/clothing is far more interesting that the male one. I particularly like the little scarf things (not sure what you call them) that she wears around her neck. Much better than ties.

So, something like these, minus the dress:

And another PM wore similar clothing:

Ditch the ties forever!

• The 'suit and tie at all costs' attitude to formal or professional dress is reflective of the days when positions of authority were almost exclusively held by white, middle and upper class men. This is no longer the case. As a reflection of the electorate, Parliament should move with the times.

• Been trying to get this achieved since the seventies! :)

• The 'suit and tie at all costs' attitude to formal or professional dress is reflective of the days when positions of authority were almost exclusively held by white, middle and upper class men. This is no longer the case. As a reflection of the electorate, Parliament should move with the times.

What would you like to see MPs wear?