The Royal Family. Past its sell by date?

Please treat other members in a friendly and respectful manner: Our Community Guidelines.

• I am probably the exception to the rule, but I think Diana was more of an attention seeker than any other Royal.

My mother was a welfare assistant at a special needs school when Diana had a royal visit there. While the cameras were rolling she was attentive to the children but the moment they stopped she then ignored them. What the public saw was a specially crafted version of reality.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Have just watched the State Opening of Parliament

What a load of nonsense and as my father would have said "load of madam"

What a waste of money and use of service personnel, endless horses, and hours of rehearsal, all tying down parts of London for the day and days previous for rehearsal

They show clips of the Queen previously opening Parliament dressed in a coat and hat, and arriving in a car. A bit more modern

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• If we abandon the monarchy what model do we put in its place? We still need a head of state, directly elected perhaps or even a (gulp) president.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• If we abandon the monarchy what model do we put in its place? We still need a head of state, directly elected perhaps or even a (gulp) president.

Yes, a president and if they did not toe the line we could vote them out

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

In Iran we got rid of monarchy in 1979. I think you should get rid of yours too. Your queen is old. When she dies you could end this system

• My mother was a welfare assistant at a special needs school when Diana had a royal visit there. While the cameras were rolling she was attentive to the children but the moment they stopped she then ignored them. What the public saw was a specially crafted version of reality.

Yeah, I remember you saying that before.

I was a fan of Diana, but I don't doubt she manipulated the media for her own ends. There's no way they could find her on some distant desert island, unless she told them her exact location.

But I do think she was a victim of the Royal Family though. Ensnared by them just to become their breeding machine.

---

Lots of other good posts over the last few days, will reply to them when I can.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Ensnared? If she didn't realise her purpose then she had less brains than I credit her for!

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• She thought she was marrying a Prince and would live happily ever after, like a fairy tale

Sadly that Prince was getting his oats elsewhere with a mistress who the Palace PR machine is trying to prepare us for her to become Queen

Notice this week her prominence with the Queen

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• Charles should have been allowed to marry Camilla right from the start. Diana was not the right stuff for life with the Windsors and although she tried, she failed at her most important challenge - living with the Windsors. She succeeded magnificently with the public as the people's Princess. She was a disaster at keeping her emotions to herself and walking tall in a world of midgets. She could have learned this from the Queen but she was not made of that kind of stuff. The Queen is a traditional monarch and although she had this thrust upon her at the time, she stepped up to the plate with such amazing courage and has been admired and respected for this ever since.

Harry is showing the Diana weakness unfortunately and I suspect that he is being manipulated by the soap star into her personal agendas which seem to involve American style feminism and the promotion of black women. The sooner they ship them both off to the USA where they can have TV shows of their own the better. They represent their times as clearly as Diana represented the eighties.

Catherine is a completely different kettle of fish. I like her. She has the regal factor and she will make a good and and patriotic Queen. Queen Catherine the Great. 8)

You only live twice, or so it seems

One life for yourself, and one for your dreams

• The sooner they ship them both off to the USA where they can have TV shows of their own the better

They can join Auntie Fergie on Oprah.^^

Charles should have been allowed to marry Camilla right from the start. Diana was not the right stuff for life with the Windsors and although she tried, she failed at her most important challenge - living with the Windsors.

Agree about Charles, but no so much about Diana. She never had a chance to succeed with Charles having it off with Camilla and The Firm always giving Diana a cold shoulder. She was hardly a peasant girl, but they treated her as such.

• Ensnared? If she didn't realise her purpose then she had less brains than I credit her for!

How old was she when she met Charles, 18, 19. Very young. He was a pig then and still is today.

You might guess from my comments, I'm not exactly a fan of the Royal Family.

My nan was a kitchen servant to the Queen mum many, many years ago and she was treated like crap by them. Nothing ever changes with this bunch of leaches. Perhaps the Firm should work for the same wages.:whistling:

• In Iran we got rid of monarchy in 1979. I think you should get rid of yours too. Your queen is old. When she dies you could end this system

I'd welcome that very much.

If we abandon the monarchy what model do we put in its place? We still need a head of state, directly elected perhaps or even a (gulp) president.

But do we even need a head of state now? It seems past its sell by date to me in the modern world/

• I agree about Diana, H. I think if she'd had any inkling of what was to come she would have run a mile. In fact, both confessed to being sorry about the marriage but were pressured into it by elders.

Diana will always be the girl who was used. That is the tragedy of her existence. She tried but she wanted to do it as a team with her husband and he only wanted to bonk Camilla. Fair enough, but there is a lesson in there for those who put more significance on protocol than on human reality.

Harry has a problem with wanting to be one of the emotive masses whilst still living on a royal demesne. Having his bread buttered on both sides at the moment, with Meghan standing by to slap him if he falters. The last thing she might want is a collapse of the social power and esteem that came with marriage to a Prince. It's something no genuine feminist would ever do, give up her job and marry a royal. So I think they would both be better off in the USA with Fergie, as you mentioned. Another unsuitable match and now Andrew has got himself in a tangle and the British monarchy is being scrutinised by yet another scandal. Dump 'em. X/

• I agree about Diana, H. I think if she'd had any inkling of what was to come she would have run a mile. In fact, both confessed to being sorry about the marriage but were pressured into it by elders.

Diana will always be the girl who was used. That is the tragedy of her existence. She tried but she wanted to do it as a team with her husband and he only wanted to bonk Camilla. Fair enough, but there is a lesson in there for those who put more significance on protocol than on human reality.

Harry has a problem with wanting to be one of the emotive masses whilst still living on a royal demesne. Having his bread buttered on both sides at the moment, with Meghan standing by to slap him if he falters. The last thing she might want is a collapse of the social power and esteem that came with marriage to a Prince. It's something no genuine feminist would ever do, give up her job and marry a royal. So I think they would both be better off in the USA with Fergie, as you mentioned. Another unsuitable match and now Andrew has got himself in a tangle and the British monarchy is being scrutinised by yet another scandal. Dump 'em. X/

I must admit though your monarchy lacks the pomp and glitter of ours ha ha

iran-4-1547447299.jpg

• Has Charles ever talked about his marriage to Diana? We heard Diana's side, but I cannot recall hearing anything from Charles. If he has any sense he would never criticise her, even privately, for the sake of his sons. Diana made a big mistake by publicly slagging Charles off to all and sundry. It just makes the kids 'take sides', which was probably the intention anyway, but ruins many lives.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• Charles did a book recently I think where he put the record straight.

I agree that Diana did the unthinkable when she was apparently going to get a film financed trashing the Windsors. This was just before she met her end in the tunnel. She had become enraged and couldn't find enough places to dump her anger.

Whatever their private squabbles, the people need calm, reassuring, strong, patriotic regents or regents may as well be disposed with and a Republic installed. ( I am a Republican in these matters. People can't go round bending the knee to soap stars and celebrities in the 21st century. If Monarchy can't stick to its allotted place and task then Monarchy needs to take a hike.)

Just my opinion :)

• Typical snowflake. Poor luvvy! Life must be a bitch! She'll be a big asset to those wanting rid of the monarchy.

• Charles made his views known by leaks from his close friends. Nicholas Soames for instance describing Diana as "mad"

Indeed he did.

Diana never knew her place which was to be a subordinate to Charles. If you look at old footage of them going to various events, it was always Diana that got the attention and he hated her for that, which brings me onto to:

Catherine is a completely different kettle of fish. I like her. She has the regal factor and she will make a good and and patriotic Queen. Queen Catherine the Great.

Willian was careful not to marry her too quickly. He wanted to see whether she would toe the line, unlike his mother, and apart from their brief separation, Catherine has

• Katherine was groomed by her mother who was obsessed by the thought of her daughter marrying Charles

A Hand Up Not A Hand Out

• Kate is making her mark. She is the right stuff. The Pakistan tour was a feather in her cap. She knows how to behave. She will do her duty.

It should be borne in mind that monarchy and feminism, the modern world and various idiot ideas about how to be a maverick whilst still being a royal are not the way it's done. Monarchy is a traditionalist very old world affair and if you can't keep it that way in its most important aspects, you need to be shipped out.

Kate is going to save Britain from yet another embarrassing failed attempt at bringing the "Me" factor into the duty business. Kate is going to succeed in the way in which monarchy is able to sustain itself with an increasingly disenchanted public.

Meghan will eventually get bored with not being able to change the world by stuffing it up and Harry will just get more and more embarrassing if some kind person doesn't ship both of them off to America before Megan's fashionable feminist ambitions clash with something she isn't related to and doesn't seem to comprehend.