In the 21st century, do we need a monarch?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • .... I want my baby back ....

I am going on past posts where you get things wrong .... and never admit you're wrong. You reap what you sow.

It was a funeral, what colour should she wear?

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• .... I want my baby back ....

I am going on past posts where you get things wrong .... and never admit you're wrong. You reap what you sow.

It was a funeral, what colour should she wear?

Have you seen the royals at the Cenotaph ceremony in November, black from head to toe for a solemn occasion? Ever seen them with white scarves or trim to their outfits?

Whatever, anyway the point is that somebody was moaning that Megan appeared in a black frock against some supposed rule that she shouldn't. Nonsense

No, I won't admit to being wrong when I'm not

• I cannot remember the Queen ever wearing black, except at solemn occasions.

Whatever .... some of us were discussing normal day wear, not funeral garb.

I did say the Queen wore black for solemn occasions, but it obviously passed you by. (in post #291).

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• I noticed Meghan wearing black or dark colours nearing this after the "Me Too" brigade began turning up in black at every opportunity. It's a feminist anti-man thing mostly and if it's good for business and heightens the profile, they all start doing it.

• Helloooooo ....... any investigative journalists out there?? You know, like we had a couple of decades ago ---- when the reports on Prince Andy pandy, an alleged sexual abuser of young girls, residing with KNOWN convicted pedophile and trafficker of young girls .. Epstein, would be fully investigated. Probably a few dead bodies on the way.

Anyways.... back to the .. "queen wears black dress" story.............

• I wonder where this request from Harry to step out of the golden glow and become financially independent

It could set a precedent, Phillip doing Go Compare car crash adverts, Beatrice or Eugenie doing Strictly or Camilla arvertising beds

• Would you have President Boris, or Jeremy instead?

Change the word Prime Minister for President and that's what we have. It's the actions that are of importance. The royals have zero say in what happens in Parliament and are simply a figurehead and someone to sign off papers as head of state. At most they can voice an opinion.

What's all this Black stuff. Black is neutral and fits in with any surroundings. It's the simple choice and will never clash with others. I don't get it, maybe the Queen should wear DPM, woodland or dessert.

• We have had days of this megan rich couple travelling from posh hotel to posher friends mansion... and all because the Yellow Vests - Iran plane disaster - and other serious issues are not properly reported.

bring back the invented Antisemitism yarns...those were the days.

I even heard a radio presenter say this morning: "this poor lad Harry even had to deal with his mothers death"!!!! The world has gone bonkers.

You can bet your socks something big is coming and this load of crap Megharry Gate is an MSM cover story.

• I cannot believe that there is not any friction between William and Harry. They were always clearly "together" but recent photographs of them shows their body language of a distance

Even back to the Christmas before this one when they were at Sandringham showed William glancing at Meghan almost with disdain

William apparently cautioned Harry not to rush into marriage with her and I guess the rift stems from that

• Whatever made Britain think Meghan and Harry would opt for the gilded cage of 20th century British Royalty one fifth into the 21st century?

In referring to “sources”, either the Times is fabricating news or it is collaborating with spiteful snipers. Either way, it is unwittingly killing the already iffy image of the Royal family by reinforcing the gutsy wise decision of Meghan and Harry to move away from this malignant nation.

Clearly Meghan seriously underestimated the full consequence of marrying into British Royalty, in particular, finding that she had joined a public relations empire rather than just a sparklingly illustrious family. Meghan can surely be forgiven for not fully appreciating how her life would be placed under a grubby magnifying glass (aka the British media), where endless gossip, innuendo, spite and unsupportable or fabricated truths from so-called "sources" would trigger an unceasing massive percentage of British citizens to let loose their malicious glee in the distress this causes, presumably as a justified sour-grape retribution against a perceived life of barely-earned enormous privilege.

It all seemed so bright and hopeful at the wedding. Granted, she was a commoner, just like Kate and Di, and her marrying into the Royal family raised hopeful expectations of yet-another "breath of fresh air" (a euphemism for injecting some extra IQ, personality and modernity to top up these deficits from so much inbreeding). But world-famous British hypocrisy ensured that this breath of fresh air should be mostly an image fantasy and underpinned by the reality of the same old conformity to Royal Family strictures, known as “teamwork”.

Sin of sins, Meghan turned out to be her own person, uttering some well-meaning viewpoints (but not political). For feral Britain, egged on by the media, this rapidly translated into a perception of an impostor "on the make" (“who does she think she is?”). From that lowly point it was an easy downslide to take a closer look at the family tree and speculate upon a complexion that suggests more than just a high quality suntan lotion. Surprise, surprise, racism raised its ugly head and, more surprise surprise, the media fanned those flames by the brilliant expedient of never missing an opportunity to espouse how terrible it is that some people hold racist views. In an attempt to bring Britain’s Royal master race of gentiles back on track, Goebbels couldn’t have done it better.

The inevitable result is that Meghan has discovered that Britain is a hybrid, mongrel or feral nation and, to cap it all, she doesn’t make even that grade. She probably already held those suspicions but she took a more optimistic view through romance-tinted glasses. I'm pretty sure Harry shares her ambivalence. She could of course have been a Kate Me-too, projecting country life glamour, signing in for a crash course in no-prisoners-taken girls’ hockey and keeping her worldly metropolitan mouth shut. I mean “who does she think she is?”

My feeling is that the couple and their child should, for their own sake, spend a considerable, even major chunk of their lives at arm's length from "Not-So-Great-After-All Britain”. To expedite that, there might be two options for Meghan and Harry them to consider:

a) use their faded/second-class/demoted Royal credentials to make as much money as possible, before the gloss fades. That should ensure they can live comfortably and happily ever after. I have no doubt that Meghan’s former career plus her “smarts” will ensure she will more than earn her keep.

or

b) win the unstinting ungrudging financial and political support of the Royal Establishment and HM Government to promote the internationalism of British Royalty. It sure needs it. Sanity might just prevail. By injecting more substance into the same old froth of pomp & circumstance, the deeper lasting meaning of Royalty in the United Kingdom in the 21st century ought surely to rise above anything which Disneyland could cheaply and easily concoct

If sanity doesn’t prevail, if the lunatics have taken over the asylum (ie the courtiers and advisers hold sway), then option (b) might not be Meghan & Harry's choice to make. If that proves to be the case I would not be at all surprised if Meghan & Harry's well-considered response to the Establishment's advisers and courtiers would be to tell them to be fruitful, go forth and multiply (although not in so many words). After all, as the saying goes: you can choose your friends but you can't choose your relatives. And Meghan already knows that on her side of the pond. Which makes it extra ironic

• It's a pity Meghan courted the press, instead of telling them to naff off like Princess Anne. Once invited in, the press never go away.

• Beneficiaries of this Sandringham summit are the game birds on the estate

Peter Phillips was hosting a jolly of a shooting party with his chums but they had to leave early to make way for the summit

• External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• we live in 21st century. Why do you celebrate such a laughable thing as minarchy? How much does this theatre cost?

• I cannot believe that there is not any friction between William and Harry. They were always clearly "together" but recent photographs of them shows their body language of a distance

Even back to the Christmas before this one when they were at Sandringham showed William glancing at Meghan almost with disdain

William apparently cautioned Harry not to rush into marriage with her and I guess the rift stems from that

Indeed. They made have released their statement that all is okay, but I don't believe it. They were close until Ms Markle came on the scene.

I don't suppose that this has helped their cause

"July: Prince Harry touts Meghan for Disney job "

https://news.sky.com/video/is-harry…ey-job-11907588

This is what will happen in the future, more like that. How many of us can pimp ourselves to the boss of the world's largest media company?

They say they want to leave their privilege behind, yet will exploit it at every chance they get.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!