In the 21st century, do we need a monarch?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51099102

Well, it looks like if you're Prince Harry and Ms Markle, you can have your cake and eat it.

We await the details, but when she eventually gets bored of Canada, as I believe she will, then as I said before it will be California where she will head and very nice it is too, especially if you have the amount of money they have. But by the time that happens, I wonder if Harry will still be with her?

Round One to them, but they've already broken the golden rule and it will come back to bite them hard eventually:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Very well said. Excellent post.

• The sickening cognitive dissonance from the leftie accusers citing racism but when asked to show real evidence of racism they can not do it. Shameful and moronic.

• Maybe the crowds at their wedding weren't large enough to satisfy their ego's, or enough of them faint with excitement at the sight of them? Did we boo and hiss at her for being a person of colour?

Was she deprived of a splendid wedding at the public's expense?

Was she deprived of a fantastic home, again using public money?

Maybe Meghan thinks it perfectly acceptable to describe the UK as 'toxic' while still sucking from the taxpayers teat.

Why do Harry and Meghan declare their wants and needs via an avalanche of publicity, while complaining about press intrusion?

Why do they have a website at all?

Why have they created over 100 patents?

Why are Hillary Clinton, Michelle Obama, Oprah Winfrey and other 'celebrities' now their best buddies? Has Meghan asked herself this question?

Why was a member of the Royal family (Meghan) allowed to choose who she wouldn't meet (ie. Trump)?

Why the hell did she marry into the Royal Family? She will always be ranked lower than Harry, but maybe she can mould him into becoming second fiddle.

Meghan strikes me as the worst kind of millennial! I can't see this marriage lasting, unless Harry becomes a complete doormat. She is already building up her network of wealthy and influential people, thanks to Harry and her Royal title, but I doubt Harry will get any credit. Do you think these people would be the friends of choice of our 'normal Royals'? Prince Andrew may 'court' them ... maybe.

These are not the actions of a couple that want a 'private' life. These are the actions of someone seeking fame, fortune and celebrity status. In other words, a typical actor/actress.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• This poor young couple... Imagine being in their position, struggling on which 30 room, 300 acre house to pick. Sitting in their new bank hoping to get a good account. I think it is a disgrace the number of people and MSM constantly pumping out crap about multi millionaire young couple going through a "crisis". They have not a clue what a crisis is. We did our xmas homeless pretend guilt thing... Now for the Royals.. BAFTAs.. OSCARS.. DISGRACEFUL.!!!

Oh, not forgetting ANDREW and the EPSTEIN SEX ABUSE ALLIGATIONS..... Come on UK MSM do your job and dig the dirt on ANDREW.

• The sickening cognitive dissonance from the leftie accusers citing racism but when asked to show real evidence of racism they can not do it. Shameful and moronic.

Translation please

• There is a part of me that admires Harry for standing up to the outdated institution of the monarchy, and then standing his ground

I bet this will win him much support in the long term

• These are not the actions of a couple that want a 'private' life. These are the actions of someone seeking fame, fortune and celebrity status. In other words, a typical actor/actress.

Great post and I'm sure everyone has asked themselves the same questions, except the royal couple themselves.

In many ways being a top Hollywood actor and being part of the Royal Family are very similar in nature. They seem to garner armies of slobbering sycophants who worship the ground (red carpets) they walk on which helps to mask their non-existent qualities in most cases.

After this latest tantrum, I was against Harry and Meghan, but I've changed my mind. If they carry on like they intend to do and if they're still members of the royal family, then ultimately the people will tire of all members of this particular family and that can't come soon for me.

• Great post and I'm sure everyone has asked themselves the same questions, except the royal couple themselves.

In many ways being a top Hollywood actor and being part of the Royal Family are very similar in nature. They seem to garner armies of slobbering sycophants who worship the ground (red carpets) they walk on which helps to mask their non-existent qualities in most cases.

After this latest tantrum, I was against Harry and Meghan, but I've changed my mind. If they carry on like they intend to do and if they're still members of the royal family, then ultimately the people will tire of all members of this particular family and that can't come soon for me.

Well said. This is how most people feel. I think.

• It seems from reading the posts on this thread that a number of people here would like to see the monarchy abolished.

But how many of you are members of "Republic" *, the political organisation dedicated to ending the monarchy and creating a republic in Britain...?

None, I suspect.

And yet.... how are you going to bring about a republic without political pressure..?

There is no chance of a referendum on the issue because none of the main parties support abolition. So as things stand there is no chance of achieving what you seem to want.

OK..... given that there is some dissatisfaction with the monarchy, but next door to no political support, influence or leverage for abolition.......

How do you intend to achieve the republic you seem to want...???

* Republic doesn't seem to have many followers. They fielded no candidates at the General Election and therefore have no MP's and so no voice in Parliament. In 2015 it had 2 full time employees and around 5000 members.

Wow, I bet that's got the Queen quaking in her boots.

• You have to understand that the bulk of the criticism and denigration of the Royal Family comes from an Irish immigrant

• The Canadians might start to think of Harry and Meghan living in their midst as a possible threat to their constitution according to this article:

https://nypost.com/2020/01/15/can…-arent-welcome/

Unfortunately, the Canadian paper itself is behind a paywall, so can't read the whole article, but that NY Post article gives a summary and most interesting it is too.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!