Is anyone watching the tennis?

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • Having not had a opportunity to watch a game of tennis on tv for at least 6-7 years, I was looking forward to this year's coverage of Wimbledon. But although the coverage seems to be fine, as supplied by the BBC, the tennis is not.

Is it just me, or has the game become boring?:sleeping::sleeping:

The men just hit aces at 500mph. Yawn. And the women just seem to hit the balls back and forwards directly at each other, with no attempt to try and get the balls in the corners or trick their opponents in some other way.

Where are the personalties? I don't consider Andy (I want a independent Scotland) Murray to be a personality. In fact, I don't even consider him a fellow countrymen now.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I gave up watching a decade ago. The men's game is who can smash a ball the hardest whereas the women's game is to stand on the base line and whack it back and forth. Just too boring. If the women want equality of prize money then they need to play a full 5 sets.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• I used to watch but stopped at the end of the 1980s. My father was an avid watcher but complained about the same things mentioned by others here. Plus, the playas are all so precious today. No more sweaty, obnoxious, ego-driven gladiators . :(

Same thing happened to Formula 1 racing.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• I have always found tennis extremely boring apart from when McEnroe was having a rant. :D

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• Yes, McEnroe lit the courts up there for awhile. :)

• He was a spoilt yank brat, but he did liven things up.

I was going to try and watch a bit of tennis today, but it was too hot, so went into the garden instead.

On the news, it said one of the lady players had hurt her leg badly, so that's a bit different from the norm and some other players got fined for "ungentlemanly" behaviour.

• As no one is a gentleman, as such, anymore it must be very difficult to accuse anyone in particular among the galaxy of popular celeb stars of ungentlemanly behaviour. I think McEnroe put the final nail in the coffin of ungentlemanly behaviour. And Agassi blasted the dress code to bits by wearing long non-chafe spandex under his shorts. ^^

• As the weather is cooler now, decided to flick the TV on and watch some tennis, even though the "Brit" Andy Murray is playing. I guess I can tolerate him for a few hours.

I don't really like supporting people who voted to rip the country to pieces, but I'll leave that aside for this afternoon.

• Nope. Had enough.

Can't support him, he doesn't want to be British, so I don't see why he warrants 2-3 hours of my time.

It's nice and sunny, warm but not hot, so going for a walk instead.

• Not watching. I am an evil renegade like Andy and want a free England. :evil:

• As a totally non-sports person, you can say what you like about sports.

I guess if you play certain sports and have a interest in them, then its more interesting to watch on tv.

I was looking forward to watching Wimbledon this year, which was my first opportunity to do so in years. But with the hot weather last week and this week, what I've seen of it has been boring, watching paint drying would be better. Although in my case, for paint to dry, it would have to get onto the walls in the first place...;):)

I find F1 the most tedious thing ever to watch on tv. Cars going round and round in circles, though many seem to enjoy it the same as they like to watch grown men in shorts kick a ball around, something many of us got bored with past the age of 11-12.

• Am I allowed to say that I find watching tennis something akin to watching paint dry?

Absolutely, it's still on topic. :thumbup:

There was a time in the Borg and McEnroe era that it was interesting. If only to see what new insult John could come up with.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• It could be argued that players like Peter Sampras and Roger Federer are the greatest tennis players ever and all round sportsmen too. But, they're boring as hell, especially when Sampras used to play.

Sports need some personalties.

• But, H, personalities are not allowed any more. They're offensive and nasty and they portray individualism and other disgraceful aspects of the evil, non-huggie social outcast. They are all children of the Big Bubble now. Rich, famous, and filled with liberal humanism and an enthusiasm for good works. Many go on to become United Nations representatives. Some write books about wussy wizards. Others suggest people should assassinate their democratically elected leaders. It's all good. Apparently.

• I've not had much time this week to watch tv, but I'm currently enjoying a men's double match on the cable red button service. It's pretty good.

Anyone watching the tennis this year? Has anyone actually ever been to Wimbledon to see the tennis in person?