DOGs (Digital Onscreen Guides) aka channel logos. Why do we need them?

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • Before satellite tv, you could watch a tv channel and never see a on screen channel logo permanently showing the whole time including throughout the tv shows themselves, now its second nature and CH4 has joined this "revolution" according to to a516digital.

With modern tvs and freeview/satellite/cable boxes, these all come with built in tv guides, so do we really need to have DOGs permanently displayed on screen the whole time?

Do you find DOGs distracting if you are watching a tv show, or don't they matter to you?

BBC 1 and 2 are the only channels without them now.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I like them, if they're discreet, because then I know where the heck I am.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• 8| Noooo, they're horrible. Get rid of them, I say, all of them. Banish them forever and ever.

How can you not know where you are? Presumably you picked up the remote and selected a channel, so you must know which channel you're on?

• I can't say I notice them tucked away in the top corner of my screen, as LW says sometimes it's handy to be able to check which channel I am on when I have been channel hoping and find a programme I want to set up a series link for on the Tivo.

• No, No, No, be gone all of them I say!

What has happened to the world when these bloody things have become the accepted norm?

KILL THE DOGS, (not the noisy creatures with four legs:)), but the channel logos.

• I seem to remember a problem with such logos years ago when Plasma screens were first brought out. If left to fester in one place for too long the logo would be forever burnt on to the screen. Or maybe I am having a senior moment and that was just a myth that I believed in my innate gullibility. :D

• How can I say I don't know where I am? I sit there gazing at rubbish. Then along comes a whole lotta ads for future programs and other distracting long-winded stuff. I start going into a coma. I ask myself, "Where are we? What are we doing here? etc. It's like a meaning in life experience and if there is no little tag to place you again you drift like a bubble on the cosmic stream, not knowing what you were watching (so long ago since you were rudely snatched away) and unable to remember where you were in the story (if it has one).

• How can I say I don't know where I am? I sit there gazing at rubbish. Then along comes a whole lotta ads for future programs and other distracting long-winded stuff. I start going into a coma. I ask myself, "Where are we? What are we doing here? etc. It's like a meaning in life experience and if there is no little tag to place you again you drift like a bubble on the cosmic stream, not knowing what you were watching (so long ago since you were rudely snatched away) and unable to remember where you were in the story (if it has one).

Step back from the TV LW. I think it is exerting mind control over you. :D

How could I possibly disagree with you on that, when you put in such a good way.:)

• So long as the DOG is small, translucent and static I don't have a problem. It's when the channel decides to animate it, Kill, kill, kill!

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• I can't remember what channel it was, abc family, or perhaps one of the kids channels, but there was a DOG which not only was it solid and coloured, but spun around too. Totally distracted from the actual tv show.

I'm firmly in the kill the dog camp. Plus if you record the shows, why would you want on screen clutter on your recordings?

• If somethings worth recording we'll go for a download as that has no ads as well.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• I want them to be larger - maybe flash full screen every minute. (Actually I've never noticed them.)

What is annoying is when you get told what's coming next towards the end of what you are watching - particularly if it is in the middle of an emotional or dramatic climax to the programme...

• I want them to be larger - maybe flash full screen every minute. (Actually I've never noticed them.)

What is annoying is when you get told what's coming next towards the end of what you are watching - particularly if it is in the middle of an emotional or dramatic climax to the programme...

Now that is one of my pet hates, having the last moments of a programme spoilt just so that such "important information" can be given really grates my carrot, as a friend like to say.

• I'm not wealthy so I have the cheapest package and it has programs from hell on it. I drift about from the Food and Travel Channels to the BBCBrit and BBCLifestyle channels and occasionally we get a film that is watchable.

At the moment I''m enjoying reruns of "Open all Hours."

• The thing that annoys me far more than a logo in the corner of the screen is the sponsored by indents that we get at the beginning end and every advert break that and the adverts themselves of course.

Also the constant recapping and coming up next they insist on doing on some programs, do they think we are all doolally and can't remember what happened 5 mins ago or that we need to know what's going to happen next.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• I'm not wealthy so I have the cheapest package and it has programs from hell on it. I drift about from the Food and Travel Channels to the BBCBrit and BBCLifestyle channels and occasionally we get a film that is watchable.

At the moment I''m enjoying reruns of "Open all Hours."

Open All Hours was good in its day, but obviously past its sell by date now. A sequel was made recently with David Jason taking on the main shop keeper role.

BBCBrit? Is that a channel? Is it actually called that?

• The thing that annoys me far more than a logo in the corner of the screen is the sponsored by indents that we get at the beginning end and every advert break that and the adverts themselves of course.

Also the constant recapping and coming up next they insist on doing on some programs, do they think we are all doolally and can't remember what happened 5 mins ago or that we need to know what's going to happen next.

I don't mind the sponsorship messages, but I agree with the constant recaps, very American that.

• What is annoying is when you get told what's coming next towards the end of what you are watching - particularly if it is in the middle of an emotional or dramatic climax to the programme...

Agree and that's got worse over the last few decades. It used to be very gentle at first, but now just at the second the show ends, it split screens, you get promotions for other shows, what's coming next etc, your mind can't process the sudden change. One second you're in the programme and the next getting "shouted" towards the next programme.

• At least most of them are for programmes just about to come on on other affiliated stations. The BBC go and promote things that are days, weeks or even months away. Who's going to remember that?

4312-gwban-gif

• Open All Hours was good in its day, but obviously past its sell by date now. A sequel was made recently with David Jason taking on the main shop keeper role.

BBCBrit? Is that a channel? Is it actually called that?

Yes, and it is called that.

Open All Hours is classic now so I can watch it having watched it before, of course, but finding it better than some of the rubbish they make today. We also have a channel called BBC Lifestyle that is full of disgusting drunken people throwing up on Magaluf, skiing flesh pits and festivals. It's also full of cooking, chavs giving birth, and people with horrific body parts disorders.

Jo - can you see now why I often ask, "Where do we come from, what are we doing here? :S

• For the BBC specifically, they shouldn't do it. They get taxpayers money handed to them on a plate, so there is no commercial need to "guide" viewers onto the next problem with all these irritating split screen promos right over the end credits of shows.