Let Theresa May stay at No 10 for the summer, top Tories tell MPs

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • Senior Tories are urging MPs to back away from provoking an early leadership contest this summer, after claims that some want to see David Davis take charge.

Some MPs are keen to see Davis replace Theresa May, claiming that the prime minister is so wounded that she cannot continue in office for long and that the party should act after its disastrous election result.

However, senior figures in the party are now saying it would be a mistake to remove May too soon. Calmer heads are urging restraint, warning that it would be hard to engineer the coronation of Davis – and that unleashing a messy leadership contest could be disastrous for the party.

I can only assume that these Tories are intent on political suicide, losing an election and letting Labour take over to sort the mess out. They need to get behind May and start singing from the same hymn sheet if they want to get the best from Brexit. Not start squabbling about a new leader. If someone else takes over they will be divided anyway, just as they always were over the EU.

• I liked David Davis, but as per my comments in one of the Brexit threads, he seems to be a dove over Brexit compared to May, so I don't think I would be in the least bit keen on him becoming PM.

All the speculation among the media pundits is that May will be gone by the time the conference season comes around and I do think she is toast, but whether that will be in six months time, or whether she be allowed to see Brexit through, I am not so sure.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I never thought six months ago Jeremy Corbyn had a cat's in hell chance of becoming PM and I would've betted on that. Now, I reckon it's at least evens. The odds are getting better for him each day.

• More proof politics is a total joke in this country. The Tories won the election, why not just get on with government?

Labour had all this nonsense before with Corbyn, turned out he wasn't so bad after all. Maybe.

Truth is no one is perfect, and public opinion seems to waver on the most trivial things. Absolute monarchy is the way to go!

• Labour had all this nonsense before with Corbyn, turned out he wasn't so bad after all. Maybe

I wouldn't want to find out.

• I don't think it really matters who is in charge. If Brexit doesn't happen, or happens in name only then that will be confirmed for certain.

• I don't think it really matters who is in charge. If Brexit doesn't happen, or happens in name only then that will be confirmed for certain.

He certainly portrays himself as an avuncular figure.....but his history of friendship and support of terrorist groups, including the IRA, makes him a totally unsuitable individual to take up the the position of being British Prime Minister of the UK.

Unfortunately for the UK perhaps, this view is not seemingly shared by many of the British electorate.

• I think she's doing the right thing, at least for the foreseeable future. There isn't anyone else capable of showing the courage and determination necessary to get the best out of Brexit for the UK, and if she makes a success of that she'll be a national hero for years to come.

• Quote from Margaret Thatcher

Yes, I hope to go on and on

Mmm. Until the knives came out.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• I think the knives are already out, they just have to go in.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• I don't think they dare do anything until Brexit is done and dusted. But where is a possible alternative leader?

If Brexit is a success then I think David Davis would be emboldened enough to throw his hat into the ring as it were if and when a leadership election takes place.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• Lack of candidates seems to be plaguing politics worldwide.

• Mmm. Until the knives came out.

Exactly.

Although everyone forgets the Conservatives increased their share of the vote at the last election, May still lost the overall majority that Cameron had unexpectedly given to them. That won't be forgotten.

I don't think they dare do anything until Brexit is done and dusted. But where is a possible alternative leader?

If Brexit is a success then I think David Davis would be emboldened enough to throw his hat into the ring as it were if and when a leadership election takes place.

I think the same. Sort Brexit out, then do the knifing.

DD had a run for the top job before and lost out to Cameron, so whether he'd feel confident to try again, I'm not so sure.

• Some Conservative backbenchers have said they do not believe Theresa May will be able to fight the next general election as prime minister.

Their comments follow Mrs May's claim she was "here for the long term".

BBC article

=====

It didn't take long for some Conservative MPs to come out of the sidelines and disagree with Mrs May and her plans for the future. Unsurprising, most of them seem to be ex cabinet colleagues of hers, who will definitely have their knives sharpened.

• get on with it , Mrs May .

If you are standing in 2022 as leader, Ill vote for you. If you stand down after 2019, then Thank You for doing the business ?

Loon.

• I think she was just firing a warning gun, ming mong, as after the election, it was speculated that the Conservatives might choose to get rid of her by the time of their Autumn conference.

She is doing the opposite of Cameron. Rather saying when she'll step down, she is saying she ain't going nowhere without a fight.

• Cameron was dead man walking when he came back from the EU waving his Chamberlain paper. Claiming he had a deal when in reality they'd stuck a broom handle up his backside.

As for May it all depends on the Brexit deal.

4312-gwban-gif

• I was disappointed in the speech. It was by no means 'Churchillian ' enough but I have every sympathy with her coughing problems. I'm surprised she didn't take a 10 minute break to get over the fit. The stewardship in letting that 'comedian' get so close was appalling.

Even without the interruptions, this was not the speech of a strong and stable leader.

• I think if there was a power person to take her place he, or she, would already have done so. Political parties today seem to suffer from a chronic dearth of leadership material. Possibly because leaders are considered to be tall poppies and all tall poppies must be cut down and everyone must be "the same", etc. It has led to catastrophe when nations most need strength, direction and sheer bollocks.

• Even without the interruptions, this was not the speech of a strong and stable leader.

Seems to have been yet another self inflicted wound. At this rate Corbyn's rabble will get in and destroy this country. If that happens I'm taking all my cash/investments out and buying gold.

4312-gwban-gif

• Didn't all the interruptions garner a bit of sympathy? Seems to have done.

Only from those areas of the media who were already sympathetic.

Myself, I reserve sympathy for those denied work or a living wage by this Tory government, those on housing lists and the terminal and incurable, forced to go through humiliating 'fit for work' tests, not someone with a sore throat.

• Seems to have been yet another self inflicted wound. At this rate Corbyn's rabble will get in and destroy this country. If that happens I'm taking all my cash/investments out and buying gold.

I've been doing that for a while, but not because of Corbyn.

Didn't all the interruptions garner a bit of sympathy? Seems to have done.

I'm sure all the sympathy will last right up to the moment she's knifed in the back.

• Only from those areas of the media who were already sympathetic.

Myself, I reserve sympathy for those denied work or a living wage by this Tory government, those on housing lists and the terminal and incurable, forced to go through humiliating 'fit for work' tests, not someone with a sore throat.

If only it were just Tory governments that were shit! In my experience Labour are as bad. It's a shame we don't have real right wing economics here to boost the economy. Better than your sympathy.

• If only the Labour Party were given the same scrutiny over everything they say and do as the Tories were getting, then it would be more a level playing field. It's like the media is running the country now. They decide what people must like and must dislike. May made a speech, not a brilliant speech, not a speech that made you go "Wow" but a decent enough speech with decent enough content. But that idiot (I'm not sure if you allow the word prick on these threads, because that's what he was) should have done some research before trying to be clever.

May is a Type 2 Diabetes Sufferer. When you get a jolt of adrenaline, either through being unnerved, scared, worried, nervous or alarmed, your adrenaline levels increase and cause fits and seizures. One way to control the seizure is through exhaling the anxiety by coughing. Sure, she had a cold. She had done 28 interviews which got hardly any coverage on television, but when you get interrupted by a cretin, that obviously left her shaken (yes, shock horror, May is a human being) and when you suffer from a potentially fatal illness, then you are going to be affected. That idiot, numbskull, prick, whatever, could have actually caused her far more harm than she actually experienced. I felt for her. And the negativity, the disgusting back stabbing, the constant media bullying is sick and perverse. I have never encountered it before. And to prove that there is cruel and biased hypocrisy in the media today, the centre left, republican journalist Brendan O'Neill is defending May big time. Take a look at what he says:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DLXzBgBWkAARCGe.jpg:large

That is pretty damn hard to disagree with. I am starting to hate this country which is something I never thought I'd say. It has become cruel, self obsessed, self righteous, intolerant (although the intolerance is coming from the side that advocates a kinder, gentler form of politics - yeah right!) and bullying. It's like they see May as a wounded animal and just want to kick it, and kick it and kick it until it is dead. Then they laugh about it! How can people find a woman struggling to speak through having a terrible cough, probably triggered by some plank startling her, funny? But then I remember it's the same people who get upset when people dare to bring up their Comrade's links with terror groups, and the same, kind, tolerant people who danced in the streets with joy and euphoria when Margaret Thatcher, a fellow human being simply with different ideas, died. The same people who are getting angry over May's policy of making organ donation the normality after death unless you opt out. Some say they wouldn't want their organs to go towards saving the life of a Tory. It's true. Even though they fail to acknowledge that this policy was also on Labour's manifesto promises list!

I think May was weakened after the election, no doubt about that, but currently who the hell is there to take her place? I don't want any of the cabinet. They are all as uninspiring as each other. I quite like Andy Coulson's idea of refreshing the cabinet and bringing in new faces. The Tobias Elwood's, the Dominic Raab's, the James Cleverley's and the awesome Jacob Rees-Mogg. There is no doubt that the Tory Party is in need of an overhaul, but let's not pretend that Labour are all united and living in a warm cosy commune singing Kumbaya while eating lentil soup and farting joyously. The only reason Labour is doing better than normal, is because currently, nobody, no organisation, no media outlet, is scrutinising it. At all.

Sorry for my rant, but May should stay for the time being. There really is no alternative to take over, and the alternative, should it take over, is unthinkable.

• Only from those areas of the media who were already sympathetic.

Who has been denied work? Would you care to elaborate? Who has been denied a living wage? Was it not the Conservatives who increased the minimum wage by over £1 per hour? Housing lists? I started on the housing list in 2002. I got a flat in 2013 under a Tory-led administration. My mother died of neglect and poor treatment after developing multiple sclerosis and in 2001 was made to physically stand and move her arms when it was clear she couldn't by assessors recruited by a Labour Government. My mother was so upset and terrified that she wet herself in front of those assessing her. She died in Battle Hospital Reading on New Year's Day 2003, under a Labour Government.

I get totally and utterly infuriated by those who blame all the woes on folk on the Tories. We live in Britain. We are not a third world country. If you want something in life, get off your arse and get it. You have the ability. If you don't have the ability then try and achieve it by asking the right questions and doing what you can. Somehow we have all become vulnerable and needy and frankly it's pathetic. The welfare state should be a lifeline, not a life choice. If you can't afford luxuries, it isn't the states place to provide them for you. Nobody is denied anything in this country. We all have to be responsible for our own destiny. If you can't afford things, then buy cheaper, go without or save up. But, if you genuinely can't, or are genuinely unable, then that's where the state should step in. What sort of society have we become? Well, in my view we've become a pitiful, self entitled and downright lazy society. It's about time everyone stopped playing the "I want I want me me me" game. We are entitled to just one thing in life. Fresh air. The rest we must get for ourselves.

• Great post wizzywick, with record employment ,who is being denied a living wage?, there is always cries of nasty Tories but who gave pensioners 75p a week increase?, who failed to increase the minimum wage to a decent level in power?, who now wants to bankrupt the country. , LABOUR!

• Great post wizzywick, with record employment ,who is being denied a living wage?, there is always cries of nasty Tories but who gave pensioners 75p a week increase?, who failed to increase the minimum wage to a decent level in power?, who now wants to bankrupt the country. , LABOUR!

I'm a realist. I live in a country where Governments come and go, politics change every so often, but by and large most of us hardly ever notice the difference, simply because we have accustomed our lives to the way that suits us, to the lifestyle we can afford and maintain. The Tories are not perfect, they have some bonkers policies for the sake of it sometimes, but Labour isn't perfect either. No party sets out to kill people, make lives harder, make people so reliant on state intervention that we become puppets to the establishment. We can not and will not ever eradicate the problems a society creates. Whilst there is democracy there will always be those who are poorer, who are deemed vulnerable or think they are not getting enough or are simply being forgotten. These problems never disappeared under any Labour Government, nor will they.

The simple truth is, people are being conditioned to think these days. They are told "Labour are fairy Godmothers" Tories are evil bastards" and that's how their mindset works. I am almost 50 years old and I have noticed over the past 20 years how so many people have become so naive they have more or less become thick. Where do they genuinely believe all these billions of pounds are coming from under Labour's plans? The wealthy who have up shipped and buggered off where they're not penalised, and possibly taking thousands of jobs with them? Borrowing? Who'll lend to a country with such extravagant spending plans it bankrupts the country and makes paying back loans difficult?

Will the public tolerate strike after strike in this day and age? As someone said, why is it those on decent wages who always go on strike wanting more? What if those on NLW all went on strike? The country would come to a standstill. And nurses on foodbanks? Give me strength. If a person on £30,000 a year can not budget their finances better, that's their problem. I work in a shop and myself and partner earn around £23K per year. We don't rely on handouts because we don't need to. It's called living within your means.

So, yes, the Tories are not some kind of satanistic cult from hell. They are just an alternative viewpoint to Labour. But the current Labour lot would drive this country into an existential crisis, the sad thing is, the idiots worshipping the Corbyn cult, are too thick or too brainwashed to realise it.