Happy anniversay to us and still standing.

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
    • Staff Notice

Oh, I missed out the tune for our birthday. Here we go, another 80s power ballad and what I'm wishing for Facebook!:D:D:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Happy anniversary! That all sounds fab, H, especially the video uploads. Now I can let you hear my garden birds ^^.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• Staff Notice

Doesn't it just, except unlike last year, no changes of software. It was FOUR changes between January and June, I shan't be doing that again!:)

A huge well done for all your work Horizon, looking at the other, appalling DS forum where many of us were banned from for frankly ludicrous reasons ,really validates your efforts.

I was banned from DS because I was promoting this site there. It's still the UK's number one forum, just a shame about all the clickbait crap on their front page.

I need to get someone to design me a nice home page for here which is simple and elegant and no clickbait. Who knows what it will look like, but as I currently have puzzles on the mind, who knows...;)

• Staff Notice

I've been busy the past few weeks, but I hope to be back on the site more now and will be on as much as I can.

As I mentioned elsewhere, I expected to have a lot of time on my hands when I created this site in January 2017. That was four months after my dad's death where I'd spent the better part of 15 years looking after him. He had dementia and Parkinson's.

What I didn't know then, was that dementia had dug itself deep into my mum too. Over the course of the year she has rapidly declined and we finally got the official diagnosis last week.

As said, I will try to be on here as much as I can, but anyone who has looked after someone with dementia will know, it becomes a time intensive exercise. As but one example, it took 40 minutes to put a pair of shoes on my mum last Thursday. At least the kicking and punching hasn't started yet. I still have the bruises from my dad's time...Anyway enough of me, you don't want to read depressing crap, but I thought I'd just update everyone on my immediate situation.

=====

The new software version should get installed sometime next week and after that I'll restart my promotion of this site on Twitter and I shall venture onto Facebook too for the first real time and start promoting this site over there too.

This site is gradually rising in Google's rankings. I've employed no tricks over the last year and just let things take its natural course. Hopefully, they'll come a "break out" point for this site where both Google loves us and simultaneously we start to get noticed by other people and hopefully at that point some new people will come and join us.

Here's to another year!

:):thumbup:

• Staff Notice

Sorry about your mum. I know some of what dementia gets like with my mother, I could see the deterioration in the number of tasks she could do on her own. Eventually she couldn't even work the kettle. In some ways her fall, hospitalisation and then final stroke was something of a mercy both for her, my sisters and me.

As LW says here's to a bright future for the forum. :thumbup:

• Staff Notice

Thanks Heero.

As part of the "activities" last week, there was a fall.... Which is why every 10 minutes or so I have to check what she's doing. Try reading a book, watching a film, or finding stories for a forum when you only have 10 minute windows to do it in.

When we had all that snow and ice a couple of weeks before Christmas, one evening I was spending a few hours here and on other forums so wasn't checking on her. When I eventually did check, I found out she had left the back door open. The temperatures outside were -2C... Luckily she was in a room with a fire and heating on, but still very cold.

• Staff Notice

Well, I'm one day late, but it's our two year anniversary now.

As mentioned last year, the site has had to take a back foot for me as personal events have taken over. My mum's dementia has accelerated beyond my wildest nightmare and in conjunction with her other health issues, she doesn't have much time to live now. She almost died a month ago and I don't expect her to see summer, but luckily she got to Christmas.:)

My future then will be very uncertain and so this really will be a year of change for me. I was hoping to have grown this site by now, but the personal stuff has just taken over. I really wanted to watch all this Brexit related stuff over the next few days, but that is just not possible.

On a positive note, we're still here, despite the worldwide domination of Facebook and Twitter and I am determined in the future, to make this site a viable forum with enough members to keep it going, I just simply do not have the time to promote it at the moment, but that will change.

I would like to thanks all our members past, present and future for making the site what it is and with that, I wish us a Happy Birthday.:)

Time for a little song and very apt for my current situation:

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Staff Notice

It's out third birthday today.8)

I'll leave out the personal stuff now, as I've gradually become like some Facebook blabbering teenager and have gotten more personal over time and that is not something I'm keen on. Suffice to say, the dark clouds have gone away for the moment and Christmas was nice, I was expecting the exact opposite.

As some of you know, in the run up to Christmas there were a few "glitches" with the site. I knew that our current hosting plan with Siteground was going to end at the beginning of January and I needed to move the site to a new provider. So, I migrated the site over to a new host, but unfortunately that didn't work so well, so I temporarily moved the site back to Siteground. I (well, not actually me, as I have the tech knowledge of a donkey) then moved the site over to another provider, our current host. Like back in 2017 with the software changes, I like to do things in batches...:S^^

I have not completed tweaking this site yet as all the configuration settings for the site were dumped in favour of a clean install, but I will get things as close to as they were, as soon as I can. Lots of white again at the moment... plus, we've just had a major software upgrade too as mentioned here. I will, when I get the time, highlight some other new features of the upgrade. For new members who have joined in the last year or two, please read back in this thread for info about previous software enhancements.

Normally, I would go for one of the 80s power ballads as our birthday song, but this year I have chosen something different instead which reflects my current mood:

Our site was like a nice little village back in 2017, which in many ways I miss, but now we're becoming the equivalent of a bustling little market town instead. I don't really plan on promoting this site to city status, but who knows what the future may hold for us.;) Baby steps...:)

Thanks to all members past, present and future for paying our little site a visit and please, please, try and be nice to each other.:thumbup:

• Staff Notice

Now I've got a new laptop and can be here a bit more, hopefully I can get back to some non-political topics as well, starting with one to do with brains in a minute.

Hopefully that makes your life a little easier being able to keep an eye on your charge.

Gosh has it really been three years. Happy birthday to us.

• Staff Notice

Thanks Heero and yes, it really has been three years. I didn't think the site would exist beyond six months, so hey ho. Facebook can have their billions of users, who can speak to billions of people at once anyway. It only takes two to have a chat.:)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!