What's your favourite TV themes?

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • We used to be spoilt for choice as far as television theme music was concerned as pretty much every programme had a good theme tune before the era of on demand and binge watching cut out the need for programme makers to bother with theme songs. Some shows even had two themes, one for the beginning of the programme and another for the end. Some long running shows had different theme music throughout their lives or different versions of the same theme song were used.

TV also had some great in-show, instrumental music too and these were often quite separate from their main theme songs, or were adaptions of their main theme song.

So, what is your favourite TV theme song(s), or your favourite versions of theme songs? And what is your favourite instrumental or other music played in the programme(s)?

Link to a TV themes site.

=====

To start things off, how about a classic 1980s power tune from a popular American police show written by John Parker. The theme song features a great drum beat, blasting horns and synthesiser music throughout. (bring back the 80s, well the music and tv, some things can be left in the past!):

CHiPs

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• The recent BBC Drama Broken starring Sean Bean had Nina Simone singing "I think it's going to rain today"

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• Never really seen Friends, but know and love that tune. Very catchy.

Used to watch a bit of Cheers and have visited the actual Boston Bar, again love that tune.

Not seen Broken yet. As I said on another thread, I don't watch much linear tv these days, so take no notice to what's on the tv channelks on any given day, but I'll definitely add that show to my watch list. I like Sean Bean.

• Classic:

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• I never liked the actual music for that opening sequence, but the visuals are brilliant. It just tells a very clear story about what the show is about. It's very creative, especially like the sequence with the filing cabinet.

I once visited the set of The Prisoner about 30 years ago, a real village called Portmeirion in Wales. Very nice it was too, it looked the same (then) as it did on the show.

• The Dr Who theme tune would always bring me running to watch the TV (sad I know) and after years of watching the show the music still gets to me.

• I like the Dr Who theme, not the first 2 or 3 versions as they are just a bit too painful on the ear, but most of the versions since. I especially liked it when we got the extended theme in the 80s.

Do you still watch Dr Who, Jo?

• Yup.

I like to record all the episodes and then we binge on them in one go. I studiously avoid reading anything Dr Who related until we have had our fix?

I can't wait to see who is the next Dr. I would love it to be Kris Marshall, I have enjoyed him in Death in Paradise and think he could carry off the role.

• I used to love Dr Who, and even enjoyed the Paul McGann film version. I would've liked McGann to have done more of them.

As for the rebooted series', not keen on them at all and that's coming from a huge sci-fi fan. There was one or two episodes from the Christopher Eccleston version, that was quite good with zombie kids going around, but otherwise, it's a no go show for me. Have not seen any of the more recent series' at all. Once I tire of something, that's it!

There were a lot of British scifi series' from the 70s and 80s that could be remade and I hope some of them get done at some point.

• On the subject of remaking some of the older sci-fi i really do agree. So many that could be done. I loved Blakes Seven and I would also love seeing how the original Quatermass series could be redone using all the bells and whistles we are now so used to. I remember peeping though my fingers and at times squeezing my eyes shut whilst humming loudly to try to hide from the really scary bits of that series.

• There's a lot of stuff out there that could be redone. Unfortunately, even more "recent" stuff from the 80s and 90s looks so old as it was made pre-digital and pre-widescreen.

I think this discussion has given me a idea for a future thread or two. I'll just pump out one or two a day, to keep people's interest up a bit throughout the summer months, so always on the lookout for new ideas.

• The original Dr Who theme was made by the BBC Radiophonic workshop and totally electronic hence it's jarring nature. Incidentally the visuals were done by using video feedback: A camera was aimed at a monitor fed by the same camera. Then a light was flashed onto the screen and the result was the wave type effect that was used as the intro.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Ive always loved the music from The Sweeney ; Minder & Secret Army ( very stirring piece) .

The 2 original Auf Weidersehen, Pet themes in the 1980s I loved too

Loon.

• I certainly remember the Sweeney and Minder. Don't recall Secret Army at all, can't even remember the show.

Loved Auf Weidersehen,Pet, but can't remember the themes at all either.

Why don't you stick the themes from youtube here, ming mong? Just copy the links straight into the post and the forum software will embed them automatically for all of us to enjoy.

• I remember the tune to Secret Army, but not the show. Isn't it strange how you can remember the music but not the actual show itself, although I'm like that with films too?

That said, I remember watching Auf Weidersehen Pet with my Dad, we loved all that kind of stuff, Boon etc. But I don't recall the themes at all. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

• The theme to the new Battlestar Galactica has to be right up there

It's very different to the usual sci-themes, something Game of Thrones carried on with. More adult sounding., less gimmicky.

A very cathartic tune. The problem I have with it, is that I loved the theme from the old version so much, it blurs my opinion on it.

I'll come back to this in the future.:)

All the music was pretty epic on that show

Indeed:!::)

• ....a serious tune for a serous programme when current affairs shows were about investigating the rights and wrongs rather than all being entertainment based, as now.

Just read the first youtube comment, oh dear. Perhaps that's why we don't have many decent programmes now with decent theme music, as the creators of such material, get shafted, to use his words. He is seriously pissed off. Think of the amount of times that tune was played on tv. He should have been paid each time it aired.

Great tune.

• As for Shaft, even if people are not familiar with the programmes or theme, they should recognise a classic American cop show from the 70s. They all had that distinctive sound to them which then turned into the "ChiPs" like themes of the 80s.

• Bloody hell, it's been almost a year since I lasted posted in here and I love tv themes!

As Whicker's World was just mentioned in the jokes thread, he's the theme. Took a bit of work to find it though. This is the 1983 version featuring great synths. Love it!

• Came across this on youtube and it's probably the best thing I've ever seen and the chap does loads more of these things on his channel and does original songs too:

• For a long time I thought the theme tune to Ski Sunday must have been taken from some Alpine country but apparently it isn't.

It was written by British composer Sam Fonteyn on piano an adapted to have a Tyrolean feel to it. It's called "Pop Goes Bach" so called because it contains elements of Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor.

My mum and dad were keen skiers and watched the programme every week so it came into my consciousness from an early age. Going on ski holidays with my family I learned to love skiing and the snow and the Alpine resorts we stayed at.

Just to hear the theme tune now brings a feeling of wanting to get out on the slopes. I love it.

Some of the images in the video might be inclined to deter people from taking up skiing rather than encouraging it.