Trump and the Russians

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Top Republicans are urging Attorney General Jeff Sessions to remove himself from an FBI probe into alleged Russian interference in the US election.

He is under fire after it emerged he met Russia's envoy during the election - despite claiming he had had "no communications with the Russians".

What is going on with Trump's people? No wonder Putin was so happy when Trump got elected....

Are Trump's people all ruskies?

• Something of a slim association this one but bizarre why he didn't admit to it when the whole issue came up.

• The association may be "slim" but the fact he lied about it, is not. Which makes you wonder whether he has had any other contacts with the Russians.

It's actually worse that the association was slim - there's not much to cover up but that is just how these people operate. It shows the same contempt for the US public as there always is with politicians. I thought Trump was supposed to be different?

• Britain’s spy agencies played a crucial role in alerting their counterparts in Washington to contacts between members of Donald Trump’s campaign team and Russian intelligence operatives, the Guardian has been told.

GCHQ first became aware in late 2015 of suspicious “interactions” between figures connected to Trump and known or suspected Russian agents, a source close to UK intelligence said. This intelligence was passed to the US as part of a routine exchange of information, they added.

Over the next six months, until summer 2016, a number of western agencies shared further information on contacts between Trump’s inner circle and Russians, sources said.

...............It is understood that GCHQ was at no point carrying out a targeted operation against Trump or his team or proactively seeking information. The alleged conversations were picked up by chance as part of routine surveillance of Russian intelligence assets. Over several months, different agencies targeting the same people began to see a pattern of connections that were flagged to intelligence officials in the US.

The issue of GCHQ’s role in the FBI’s ongoing investigation into possible cooperation between the Trump campaign and Moscow is highly sensitive. In March Trump tweeted that Barack Obama had illegally “wiretapped” him in Trump Tower.

Now you can call me a cynic but quite frankly this stinks. We are being asked to believe that GCHQ and other intelligence agencies were all monitoring the same information but not targeting Trump. This was passed by GCHQ to the USA. Is anyone seriously going to suggest that Obama wasn't notified of these communications? He might not have been wiretapping Trump Tower but he would have had no need to since the information was being given by GCHQ and possibly other intelligence agencies.

This is beginning to stink. If the intelligence agencies were getting this information and passing it onto the USA, it wouldn't make sense not to target Trump. There are only two possible explanations for this, either Trump has a lot to hide ( Which he's not doing very successfully.) or this whole story of Trump connections to Russia is hogwash and GCHQ is involved in blackening his name and attempting to undermine him.
    The story mentions the Estonian intelligence services which seems to be a bit 'Cold War' to me and don't seem to have a lot to recommend them according to Wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inform...Board_(Estonia)

I wish I had the time ( And the brains.) to investigate the Guardian story in depth.

• They weren't targetting Trump or wiretapping him, they were targeting the Russians. But when the Russians phoned Trump's people, then GCHQ, or whoever, knew about it.

You may be right and I could just have a very suspicious nature but I would have thought that in the business of espionage it would have made sense to follow any trail to its end. If Russian agents contact members of Trump's team or vice versa then what else could be going on. We are talking about people close to the president who may have had some influence over him.

• President Donald Trump has fired the director of the FBI over his handling of the inquiry into Hillary Clinton's emails, the administration says.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39866170
    =====

Trump's at it again, this time sacking the director of the FBI for misleading congress over the quantity of classified emails that Hilary Clinton sent to Bill which turned out to be only a few in the end. So, what's Trump's game here? Is he being purely a good and fair leader, or is there a ulterior motive? The FBI is investigating links between Trump's team and the Russians. Could this be a warning to the FBI to back off?

Perhaps The Donald has warmed back up to Hilary, they used to move in similar circles. Perhaps so much so, that he might make her vice president if the position were to become vacant, which at the rate that Trump gets rid of people, is a not entirely out of the world, or is it?

• I like his style though, finding an excuse to sack him and a little twist of the knife at the end.

Donald Trump has fired James Comey, the FBI director, over his handling of the investigation into Hillary Clinton’s emails, a dramatic dismissal of the man in charge of investigating the Trump campaign's connections with Russia.

......"While I greatly appreciate you informing me, on three separate occasions, that I am not under investigation, I nevertheless concur with the judgment of the Department of Justice that you are not able to effectively lead the bureau," Mr Trump said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/0…r-james-comey1/

Brilliant stuff. ;)

• I still can't work Trump out. You call him brilliant Morgan, but is he? His "reign" so far, has been one of chaos and confusion.

It's more the almost farcical situation I was referring to. Blame my odd sense of humour. ;) I'm beginning to wonder what Comey was up to if he actually did assure Trump that he wasn't under investigation but didn't say so publicly. But sooner or later I think they'll get Trump on something. The question is, will it be a set up. I don't doubt at all that the political establishment is desperate to get rid of him. One would have thought that since there are apparently so many skeletons in Trump's Russian cupboard, there would be some evidence by now.

As it is, we've only had the ex spy revealing information allegedly given to him by anonymous Russians about prostitutes in a hotel room.

• It's more the almost farcical situation I was referring to. Blame my odd sense of humour. ;) I'm beginning to wonder what Comey was up to if he actually did assure Trump that he wasn't under investigation but didn't say so publicly. But sooner or later I think they'll get Trump on something. The question is, will it be a set up. I don't doubt at all that the political establishment is desperate to get rid of him. One would have thought that since there are apparently so many skeletons in Trump's Russian cupboard, there would be some evidence by now.

As it is, we've only had the ex spy revealing information allegedly given to him by anonymous Russians about prostitutes in a hotel room.

Salacious maybe but it's hardly Watergate. I have no doubt that the Clintonista's are frantically digging to find something that will stick but Trump's a canny operator. I'm sure he's got his backside covered.

Whether it's prostitutes in a hotel room, or whether he is under some kind of Russian influence, we just don't know with Trump yet. It may be Watergate x10 if he is working for the Ruskies.

• President Trump revealed highly classified information to the Russian foreign minister and ambassador in a White House meeting last week, according to current and former U.S. officials, who said Trump’s disclosures jeopardized a critical source of intelligence on the Islamic State.

The information the president relayed had been provided by a U.S. partner through an intelligence-sharing arrangement considered so sensitive that details have been withheld from allies and tightly restricted even within the U.S. government, officials said.

No wonder Putin said lots of good things about Trump leading up to the American election... it's not because that Trump would become a stooge of the Russians, I suggest, but rather that Trump is naive at best and at worst, just plain stupid and ignorant.

If this information provided by the ally is so sensitive, the ally might not share any more info again with America if it gets leaked to the Russians.

Of course the message coming out of the White House tonight is the usual, "its fake news."

A prediction here, Trump will not last out his presidency and may not last out the year at this rate.

• The media are reporting tonight that Trump asked the now former FBI director, James Comey, in February to drop the FBI's investigation into Trump's National Security Adviser, General Michael Flynn, over his alleged links to the Russians.

The pyre is growing and at some point Trump will be thrown on it. He can't last, there's just too many issues with him.

What is it with Trump and the Russians? When he was on the campaign trail he was very pro Putin despite everything that the repressed psycho has done, It's Putin that I refer to here...

Now, where's that box of matches? ;)

• Here's the BBC article/link on this:

President Donald Trump asked FBI chief James Comey to end an inquiry into links between his ex-national security adviser and Russia, US media report.

"I hope you can let this go," Mr Trump reportedly told Mr Comey after a White House meeting in February, according to a memo written by the ex-FBI director.

The memo was written immediately after the meeting, a day after Michael Flynn resigned, according to US media.

The White House has denied the report in a statement.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39944520

• Does anyone have any concrete evidence or even any information on how Russia is supposed to have influenced the Trump election? It appears to have been a choice by the American people and not by the Russians, who didn't vote in it. :S

When Obama suddenly appeared and was surprisingly elected, no one seemed to think anyone had caused this, so why, when another surprise hits the dome of power, is there this continuous carrying on about Russians.

I feel as though we have gone back to the sixties when everyone used to joke that "the Russians are coming".

Well, are they?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!