BT cunning.

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • I think if you've got a new PC, its fine. It just becomes an issue with older computers.

No my first experience with it was with an old PC - it definitely improved it.

• Win 10 was behaving at last until the latest upgrade. People worldwide are complaining. The damn thing now switches off the display and hibernates the PC after one minute and you can't stop it. I even did a registry change for it to drop the screen after 5 minutes and it ignores this. People are at their wits' end on this issue. It's enough to drive a plaster saint up a gum tree.

The other problem I encountered was/is the almost complete stuffing of my internet connection after the upgrade.

I agree, Hox, that Win 8 was horrible.

• We have had problems with BT but it seems better to stay with them, there are endless problems down here - shared on a local radio consumer problems show. BT of course own all the infrastructure and people who use another provider and have problems face an endless battle with each blaming the other

We had fibre laid in our road years back but BT could not offer the service as the exchanges needed up dating. Eventually it was available, so we signed up. No apparent difference except their equipment showed that we were getting super speed something or others per something or other. Following endless conversations and tests they offered their super new fast fibre, so we signed up for that. Again no difference but now they claimed that I did not have fibre

This time I contacted their CEO asking how come I had been paying for fibre for those years if I did not have it, and demanding a refund. That all came down to Open Reach failing to correctly log information

Still without this so called super speed I really kicked off, and told them I was leaving. Passed from pillar to post eventually a man told me that the problem was wifi, despite their adverts promoting wifi. He gave me a refund and put me back on the original contract with no cancellation fee. I have the wires to try connecting the laptop direct to the Hub and bypass the wifi to test this out

Considered switching to Sky who are the only others now to offer Sky Sports bit they tell me that there is no fibre in this area ;(

• Everything will still be going down BT's lines then, whether you get Sky or not.

Have you actually got fibre going straight into your home aka FTTP (fibre to the premises) because it sounds like you're on a FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) service to me.

Edit:

If you've got FTTP, the boxes will look like these on this page:

https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Fibre-br…lt/td-p/1555679

• It's just like your link, I remember when the engineer installed it and showed us the fibre. I was the size of a human hair but he assured us that it could cope

• You should've got proper fibre speeds then and the fact they installed it in the first place, I would've assumed that the exchange would've been sorted out too.

Double check on Openreach's site that it is enabled for your area. Just stick in your postcode here:

https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband

Don't forget that the up to 80mb speeds is what most people get and that's the FTTC service. But, if you reckon you should get the FTTP speeds aka ultrafast speeds of 200mb+, then see what that checker says.

• According to them it's 149.2 to my hub but their expert reckoned this is reduced at laptop because we use wifi

Must connect these cables up and by pass wifi to see if that improves things

• Yeah, connect the laptop straight to the router with a ethernet cable (there should've been one supplied with your router) and see if you get the fast speeds.

If your laptop is old, the wifi card in that might need replacing, but it could be the router's wifi that's the problem. It may even simply need a tweak in the routings software settings to sort things out, like changing the wifi channel that is used. The BT installer should've sorted this out for you and personally I'd be inclined to phone them up and see if they come back and sort it out for you, if you can't figure it out.

What speed are you paying for?

Is there another internet enabled device you can check the wifi speeds on?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!