Dr Who

Please treat other members in a constructive manner and abide by our Forum Rules at all times.
  • Please let it not be a woman. This sort of reflex action is ruining every story known and loved and is a function of reverse male chauvinism.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• The BBC are saying that they will announce the next time lord right after the men's tennis final is finished.

Will it be a woman?

Who liked Peter Capaldi's doctor?

I never liked Peter Capaldi before but, apart from the bits when he played guitar (!), I quickly started to like him as the Doctor. It was occasionally a bit pc but they just about kept a lid on it.

May well be a woman - they've set a precedent with the Master having a female incarnation. I don't think that in itself will bother me, it's all about the story line. The gender of the doctor should be incidental.

• Gender is not incidental, it's very significant in the character of characters, and switching, especially in cases such as the one where a comic company recently turned the Norse God Thor into a woman, is typical of the trendy habit of turning everything on its head. Creative laziness is a good reason why they do it.

If people want to mess up someone's character or story, they should be prevented by law and new writers with half a brain cell functioning (good luck with that in today's world!) will need to apply their imagination (ooh, ditto!) to create new characters and new stories.

Leave our extant narratives and myths alone. "Based on" can be fine, provided it isn't just a reworking for trendy purposes and cash generation.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• Staff Notice

Please let it not be a woman. This sort of reflex action is ruining every story known and loved and is a function of reverse male chauvinism.

You're so 18th century LW.;)

About time we have a woman as the doctor, or how about a black doctor, or how about a gay doctor?

Why not do the whole thing and have a black, gay, woman (who voted to remain in the EU) as The Doctor?8o

• Staff Notice

Gender is not incidental, it's very significant in the character of characters

I agree.

If the Doctor did become a woman, I wonder if future storylines would than have the Doctor getting pregnant and having kids.

As you say not incidental and would fundamentally change the narrative of the story which is of timelord wondering around the universe of space and time by himself.

• Staff Notice

May well be a woman - they've set a precedent with the Master having a female incarnation. I don't think that in itself will bother me, it's all about the story line. The gender of the doctor should be incidental.

Having not actually watched Dr Who for 3-4 years, I didn't know that.:)

I think that pretty much confirms we'll get a female doctor, as you say the precedent has been set. Perhaps we'll get some nice daleks next, oh, that's already been done!

• I agree.

If the Doctor did become a woman, I wonder if future storylines would than have the Doctor getting pregnant and having kids.

As you say not incidental and would fundamentally change the narrative of the story which is of timelord wondering around the universe of space and time by himself.

Why on earth would they do a story line like that? Where is it defined what a timelord is? I don't mean what you've decided they are by the way!

• It's not defined Hoxton, I agree. So, let me turn the question back on you, why wouldn't they do a story like the one I suggested?

Actually they may well do, it seems highly unlikely but you never know. My thoughts immediately went to the mundane but then that's why I'm not a Dr Who scriptwriter. They would most likely put a twist on it if they ever did touch on it. Otherwise I can't really see why it will be so radically different. A female James Bond is somewhat different since he is an established human male and his relationship with women forms a part of his character. It's different for Dr Who where gender is indeed incidental and regeneration opens up all sorts of possibilities. Seems a shame to close any off just because you're worried about a few people shouting PC at you!

• Staff Notice

Having not seen Dr Who in ages, I am genuinely interested what the writers do with a female Dr.

I could right them the first scene:

"The Dr wakes up after regeneration and feels "his" chest and then moves on to other parts... ":)

Could quite easily milk that for a few episodes at least.

• According to the BBC, Broadchurch creator Chris Chibnall will take over as showrunner.

Now, I'm very interested to see what happens as this should bring a new style to the show.

More concerned about that than a female doctor. I don't know anything about Broadchurch but I caught a bit of one show where they were all standing about talking about some case for about 10 minutes. Seemed utterly tedious to me. Hopefully Dr Who doesn't go the same way.

• Staff Notice

Once Dr Who came back onto our screens with Tennet's doctor, I hated the style, music, pretty much everything about the rebooted show and although the show has had different producers since, the style has remained the same. If things were to be turned on their head a bit, I would welcome that, especially if the show was broadened out, rather than being targeted towards kids.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!