Chinese teleport proton. Beam me up Scotty!

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • Chinese scientists say they have "teleported" a photon particle from the ground to a satellite orbiting 1,400km (870 miles) away.

Chinese teleport proton

====

Was going to post this in the science area, but hell no, far too significant to be put there. Star Trek is coming true.

Ok, perhaps getting ahead of myself now, but if the Chinese have done what they say they done and teleported a proton to a orbiting satellite, at some point in the future people will be teleported too, wouldn't they?

Very exciting, I wish I could be alive to see the day, but I fear its probably hundreds of years away yet before people could be teleported.

The actual science behind this goes over my head, but two particles are actually created at the same time but in different places, so its not teleportation in the traditional sense, as we know it. But if one particle is changed someone, that effects the other particle in the completely different location. Weird. Quantum entanglement, the scientists call it.

This may not be teleportation yet, but how about communication? Fast internet perhaps?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Have you ever considered that the concept of life after death is a form of natural teleporting? :evil:

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• A start is good. Lots more to come. These investigations will spawn and strengthen others and a new age will emerge, where things that were sneered at are revisited.

• There's been no actual communication though. This is just proving quantum theory works (again).

Are saying hoxton, that these protons would have appeared anyway, so its not anything that the scientists have done? Is that correct?

• Have you ever considered that the concept of life after death is a form of natural teleporting? :evil:

I don't know why you put the evil smilie on the end of that, what an incredible suggestion and now that you've said it, perhaps a obvious one at that. You may be right.

Assuming and it is assuming we have some kind of soul or spirit, it could just get teleported elsewhere. In fact what other description could you use for it now?

• I have an evil smiley at the end of it on account of the seemingly determined effort some secular folk today have of pooh-poohing the concept of a "soul". (I have been pooh-poohed a lot on this topic, so I speak from experience ^^)

• Are saying hoxton, that these protons would have appeared anyway, so its not anything that the scientists have done? Is that correct?

No, what they've done is repeat experiments on a grander scale. I'm not underplaying it for a second but the type of teleportation we're all looking forward to needs instantaneous information transfer. This experiment isn't it because the information had to be sent at "normal" speeds before being revealed instantaneously at a later date.

It is of more benefit to quantum encryption. It is theoretically impossible to hide the fact that a quantum encrypted message has been hacked. But in practice entangled bits of info can naturally disentangle due to noise, reaction with transmission media etc. So there's a level at which you don't know if you've just received a noisy signal or you've been hacked, and this lets a route in for a hacker. The Chinese have just got better at sending a clean signal.

Whilst we're all getting our knickers in a twist about Trump the Chinese are getting better at hacking and security...!

• That's interesting Hoxton.

The Americans have always said that they lead the way when it comes to technology, but if the Chinese are in the lead on this, it would help in such matters as war... The Americans have always said that information is key to future conflicts and protecting information, I would have thought, is fundamental to that.