General Election December 12th 2019. Poll.

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • The other week I was going to vote for Farage, but I will stick with Boris otherwise the conservative vote will get too split and we'll end up with a hung parliament.

I'm of the same thinking, Boris needs a good majority to see off the remainers for good. They'll have to be rejoiners instead, an alltogether different prospect.

• The Remainers aren't going to go away, no matter who wins the election

I can see a sort of Farage emerging who wants to rejoin the EU

• Which option should I tick for the Brexit Party?

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• Thanks Horizon.

I won't vote for Boris because he's going for the slightly amended WA, which is not a true Brexit, and will just lead to more years of 'negotiating' a trade deal with both hands tied behind our back, and possibly being sucked back into the EU. While ever we are still under EU rule (which could be as long as 3+ more years) the Remoaners will never give up.

It's tempting to go for the WA, just to get a 'so-called Brexit' done with, but in my opinion the WA and the following negotiations will never achieve it.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• Thanks Horizon.

I won't vote for Boris because he's going for the slightly amended WA, which is not a true Brexit, and will just lead to more years of 'negotiating' a trade deal with both hands tied behind our back, and possibly being sucked back into the EU. While ever we are still under EU rule (which could be as long as 3+ more years) the Remoaners will never give up.

It's tempting to go for the WA, just to get a 'so-called Brexit' done with, but in my opinion the WA and the following negotiations will never achieve it.

Please do carry on and cote for the Farage mob, and persuade you friends to do like wise. Split the Tory vote and there will be no Brexit

Hurrah :D

• Which MPs are standing down at the election?

The general election date is set and most MPs are entering campaign mode. Others, however, are clearing out their desk for the last time.

The House of Commons will lose more than 750 years of parliamentary experience with more than 50 incumbents preparing to stand down - and there may be more to come.

Here are the ones we know about so far:

Rory Stewart (yeah), Oliver Letwin (double yeah) and John Bercow (triple yeah) are all definitely going, as is Ken Clarke, Nicolas Soames (with the whip restored) Michael (touching knees) Fallon, David Liddington (May's right hand man) are also going.

It's unknown yet whether Dominic Grieve and Phillip Hammond will stand as independents, but it would be good to see the back of those two.

Unfortunately, Labour brexiteers like Kate Hoey are also leaving, as they just aren't welcome in the Momentum dominated Labour party now. Other Labour MPs to go include Labour heavyweight Stephen Pound and Steven Twigg who beat Michael Portillo in the 97 election.

Mr Bean aka Vince Cable also departs, as does Norman Lamb who was excellent on social care. Heidi Allen who only left the Conservatives a few weeks ago, also leaves.

Boris' brother is also going, which is just as well if he cannot support his brother anymore.

The full list is on the link above (click the orange "Quote from BBC News") to load the BBC story, but so far that's over 50 MPs who are officially going. I think we'll all be happy to see the back of many of them, especially Bercow.:)

• Stephen Glover: another messiah who can predict the future, or someone trying to sway the vote?

The Conservatives have zero chance of getting elected in our Labour 'safe seat', but our dishonest and fraudulent Remainer MP has pissed off enough constituents for the Brexit Party to succeed. I check my Remainer MP's facebook page regularly. His safe seat isn't very safe these days.

Apart from that, I want LibLabCon to be wiped from the face of the earth. Their undemocratic machinations over the last few decades are the reason we are in the EU, without electoral consent.

I did like Jo Swinson, but the Lib Dems, as was under Vince Cable, promised that they would honour the referendum result and Swinson has gone back on that promise. But it's tactical and she's probably made a good move and will pick up a lot of remainer votes as apathy with Corbyn's Labour may wipe Labour out at the GE. Like what happened to the Lib Dems in the past.

I think in staunch Labour areas, there is little chance of the Conservatives winning votes, so this does open the door for Farage's party to win some seats and possibly even decide on Brexit itself.

So sorry you have to wait and endure an election on top of that, but things were made practically impossible for Boris from the start. All you really have to worry about is whether the electorate will vote intelligently and make Britain independent of Gina Miller and the EU. X/

Lets hope we never hear from that bloody woman again, but once certain people get a taste of celebrity, it's hard to go back into the shadows again...

• @bryanluc with your permission, I'd like to merge this thread with my poll into your election thread. All the election stuff should go in the same place and so it makes no sense having this thread too.

Is that okay?

Yes, no problem :)

• @bryanluc with your permission, I'd like to merge this thread with my poll into your election thread. All the election stuff should go in the same place and so it makes no sense having this thread too.

Is that okay?

Yes, no problem :)

• In a way I am sad

I think that Parliament needs a diversity of experience and wisdom otherwise it is full of automatons
    These living will always be classified as trouble makers whereas in a hung Parliament everybody's voice is hears and noticed. In a normal one they would probably never have been heard of

• If I can be arsed to vote I will vote Brexit party if they have a candidate in my constituency if they dont I will simply not vote as is my choice and if anyone disagrees with my choice they can fuck off. :P

• casablanca

Isn't it absolutely inane? No one should be allowed to vote under the age of eighteen and even eighteen, in our time, means giving that responsibility to people at university, who spend all their time listening to the most awful music in the history of music, taking drugs and believing in some headcase sixteen year old Swede who is going round the world in a hot air balloon, or on horseback, or maybe just teleporting to attack what is obnoxiously referred to as "old people" and banging on about carbon when she should be educating herself and considering the threat of human overpopulation.

Clown world at its height. In fact, speaking of Second Comings, that noodle brain Bjorn from Abba recently announced that Greta was Christ's successor.

I bloody despair ...

Below age 18 is an arbitrary exclusion for voting, an easy-to-administer eligibility criterion that does not offend (adult) society and sidesteps endless debate and bickering as to who really ought to be ineligible. We all know that the below-18 rule is supposed to filter out those who lack the maturity, experience, knowledge, interest and wisdom to cast a vote that, at best, does not deserve any weight, at worst, is detrimental to a civilized and harmonious society. (18+ is hopelessly crude way of trying to pin down the 3 Ages of Man that have a bearing on vote eligibility (What, Why and Because).

We know there are a few young people under 18 who easily surpass the eligibility criteria to vote. We also know that there is an alarming proportion of adults from 18 years all the way to mortality who have never reached the "age of reason" and never will, whose vote is not simply useless, pointless and counter-productive. Yes, I know, this is a dangerous path to travel. The naysayers, the democracy-absolutists and binary-thinkers, will reject that path as leading inevitably to a dystopian science-fiction scenario in which we have an un-removable identity chip giving a merit rating for various activities which can only be modified by the governing state. There has to be sopmething to implement before we reaach that extreme. Not everything in life is the thin end of the wedge.

he trouble is that these days common sense as a basis for decision-making is unfashionable and unworkable, while nuance just makes peoples heads hurt and, besides which, everyone knows that inclusiveness has become all the rage; what better example of that than the EU court in Strasbourg who decreed that criminals in prison should be eligible to vote; once you have those kind of legal minds shaping society, every card in the pack is a joker.

It's correct and all too easy to define the opposite of democracy as totalitarianism or dictatorship or being unfairly denied basic reasonable freedoms. But less binary thinking surely takes us to recognising that democracy has to be a matter of degree. It surely has to be more than Popular Democracy which has morphed into civil protests about anything and everything, where the underlying motivation is to protest about ..... well, whatever it is .... that's a minor detail .......Marlon Brando in The Wild Ones (1953), as head of a Hell's Angel gang arriving rowdily and aggressively in a small peaceful town, was asked by the soda fountain bartender "what are you protesting about?" and Marlon replied "what have you got?"

It is against those background thoughts that when Parliament's Remainers sought to lower the age eligibility for the next election it surely becomes clear how easy it is to turn democracy into a sick joke. Democracy has to be more than two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner. The right to vote has to be earned. Likewise the right to govern has to be earned. Somewhere between Unrestrained Democracy and it's very opposite lies a touch of common sense, best described as Meritocracy. The alternative is to join Jeremy Corbyn's crusade against inequality (having no merit on this planet, what else has he to crusade against?!)

• Accusing party leaders like Farage of stirring up hatred is, to me, just another ploy to resist the fact of any opposition. Farage isn't a stirrer. In fact most outfits, even those on what is referred to as "the far right" are really primarily interested in the survival of Britain and the British and the expression of liberty that is inherent in democracy.

I don't think personal reasons are enough to shift an entire nation into the bog. Just my opinion :)

• Fidget, I think Bianluc has a point. It's the same point as the decision rationale a bird wished it had taken when emigrating across Siberia, when its wings ice up, it crash lands, is going to freeze to death but a cow inadvertedly dumps on the bird, which warms it up, so it starts fluttering its wings in preparation for resuming flight, whereupon a cat sees a sign of life within the dung and eats the dung ........bird 'n all.

The lesson learned being:

1) not everyone who shits on you is your enemy

2) not everyone who eats your shit is your friend

3) if you feel warm and safe in a pile of shit, don't move (which I think is Bryanuc's way of looking at things)

So I guess the only question that remains is whether Britain has the brain of a bird, delusions of adequacy, a tendency to chase rainbows and a misplaced belief that the greatness we achieved a couple of centuries ago, before being weighed down by the impossible pursuit of equality and inclusivity can ever be repeated. I think Parliament has given an answer to that rhetorical question in no uncertain terms.

So the only reason that remains to Leave the EU is that we may as well take control of our country's ruination rather than have it foisted upon us by an hostile malignant federation whose days are numbered but meanwhile wants to grab our wealth whilst preventing our progress. And, who knows, we might discover within ourselves what once made Britain Great.

• we have done very well and nicely thank you over the past years since we joined the EU

We joined the EU in 1974 then economy stagnated and then eventually had the winter of discontent in 1979 with the UK being the sick man of Europe. Was that also attributable in your mind to EU membership?

I would contend that it was the Thatcherite policies of the eighties and continued into the nineties by successive Tory governments that set the UK economy on a sound footing rather than any aspect of EU membership for which we have paid handsomely over the years but lost our fishing grounds to foreign boats. I've seen frustrated fisherman forced to be tied up in Newlyn harbour only to watch Spanish trawlers hoovering up the catch just offshore.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!