BBC reveals best paid stars. Is Chris Evans worth £2.3m?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • Chris Evans has topped the list of the BBC's best-paid stars.

He made between £2.2m and £2.25m in 2016/2017, while Claudia Winkleman was the highest-paid female celebrity, earning between £450,000 and £500,000.

About two-thirds of stars earning more than £150,000 are male, compared to one-third female, according to the BBC annual report.

So, Chris Evans gets paid £2.2m for presenting a radio programme and for a failed tv car show. Claudia Winklemen gets paid for a dancing show and film review show, of course these earth shattering skills need to be rewarded with such generous pay, don't they...?

• I would love to be at the BBC today when the likes of Andrew Neil read that others like Huw Edwards get double their what they receive. Or, how about the Strictly panel.... that'll be a bun fight! Why do Len and Bruno get more than the others? They do exactly the same job.

All the papers this morning have picked up on the massive pay gap between genders. Now, here we were all thinking that the BBC was liberal and left leaning and treated everyone equally. Rubbish!

• Former BBC China editor Carrie Gracie has said she is "very angry" about the way the BBC has treated some female members of staff.

The presenter, who resigned from her post earlier this month in protest at pay inequality, was giving evidence to a committee of MPs.

Although the question of pay at the BBC started in July of last year, the story has not gone away and this latest episode today is the newest chapter in this long running saga.

I spent most of the afternoon watching this, so a "few" thoughts here.

The lady is claiming sex discrimination because as China editor she is paid far less than her male colleague who works as the BBC's editor in America. His name is Jon Sopel.

The BBC's response to that was that they are totally different jobs. While her job is mainly to do features on China, Sopel's job is much more demanding, like a treadmill and comparable to their UK political editor as there is so much going on in America of interest to us.

The BBC's boss Tony Hall went on to explain that he promoted her to current position and he will ensure that there are many more women in senior positions at the BBC in the future. But is this a case of chickens come home to roost here?

Rather than hiring people based on ability, the BBC is purposely discriminating by employing women (or whatever it happens to be..) and now it's come back to bite them.

• Chris Evans has announced he will be leaving the Radio 2 breakfast show after eight years at the helm, and 13 years at the station.

"I'm going to leave. I'm leaving Radio 2," he told listeners, but promised he'd stay on air until Christmas.

Explaining the decision, he said: "Some of us are mountain climbers [but] if you get to the top of your favourite mountain and you stay there, you become an observer.

"I want to keep climbing."

He may say he wants to keep "climbing," but after last year's pay scandal that BBC "stars" are getting excessive amounts of pay, exceeding what they would get elsewhere, I can't help but think that Evan's departure is linked.

Has he stepped down before he was pushed out?

• I don't know, and don't particularly care, but there isn't a TV presenter alive that is worth an annual £2.3m of licence payers money.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• If Virgin is paying Evans millions, then good luck to him, as long as we don't have to fund his lavish lifestyle anymore.

The presenters on the news channel, not the high profile ones, just the ones who do the day and night shifts, get well over £100k. It's totally out of control.

• If Virgin is paying Evans millions, then good luck to him, as long as we don't have to fund his lavish lifestyle anymore.

The presenters on the news channel, not the high profile ones, just the ones who do the day and night shifts, get well over £100k. It's totally out of control.

The thought of Kay Burley getting this sort of money makes me feel sick!

• Our dustmen and nurses should get paid the same amount as Chris. Not just because that's only fair but also because the dustmen are having to clear away the rubbish that Chris creates and the nurses are having to tend to us when Chris's salary makes us sick

• BBC salaries: Outrage as stars pay rises 10 per cent just weeks after licence fee axed

The BBC have today announced their 2019 salary list which shows the top earners at the corporation.

Gary Lineker tops the list with a whopping £1.75million wage, which hasn’t changed since last year.

However, there has undoubtedly been a rise in payment out to some stars.

BBC director general Tony Hall confirmed the total talent bill had risen by £10million, however, he argued that it was a smaller proportion of total programming costs.

Hey, good timing by the beeb coming shortly after their announcement that they're cutting the free license fee for the over 75s.... but hey, that gigantic force in sports tv, Mr Personality himself, Gary Lineker, is worth every penny...:rolleyes:

• I can't stand Lineker, and I'm not that keen on Chris Evans ... but what do I know??????? I, and others, just pay the licence fee.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!