Would you eat chlorinated chicken?

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • The UK should not accept imports of chlorinated chickens as part of any future trade deal with the US, Michael Gove has said.

The environment secretary told the BBC that the UK would not "compromise" on or "dilute" its animal welfare standards in the interests of trade.

The EU currently bans chlorine-washed chickens on welfare grounds.

I am sure everyone knows the row that blew up between the Germans and Americans on this subject a few years ago.

Liam Fox has backtracked on Gove's remarks, so there is a possibility that this stuff could come to British shores. Would you eat it?

As I dived into my cereals this morning, all made by American companies with the raw ingredients supplied by the industrial giant Monsanto, the label on the cereal box reads GM maize. Looks like we've accepted crap food from America for a very long time already...

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• In terms of safety, its supposedly okay, but chlorine on chicken.... Although, that said, we have it in our water already.

• I don't about anyone else, but I cook my chicken, I cook it properly until it is white inside, no blood etc

Why do I need to eat bleached chicken to do what the cooking process already does?

If this is the kind of thing that the yanks are going to impose on us to get a trade deal with them, they can get stuffed.

(pardon the pun.;))

• The chlorine is used to disinfect the chicken and as such makes it much safer to handle the raw meat. The concern that is raised is that it could be used to cover up poor hygiene and disease control at the farms.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• That was the argument put by the EU.

I just don't like the idea of bleached chicken.

• We have lovely farm chickens we get from the farmer's market. We have lovely chlorinated water, the best tap water quality in SA is in my city. Here's to chlorine! Or we'd all have salmonella and typhoid. 8)

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• The water in London is slightly chlorinated and I hate it. Absolutely hate it. If I want to drink chlorine, I'll go to the local swimming pool and get a mouthful. Wish it would stop.

• In Africa, you like to know that your water is bug free because it doesn't bear thinking about what might be in it if they didn't treat it. I have glugged gallons of chlorinated tap water in my life.

• Actually, no. People are living into their nineties on it, so it must be okay.

• That was the argument put by the EU.

I just don't like the idea of bleached chicken.

I suppose not but God knows what they're doing to it already. I think if you eat supermarket or restaurant chicken you need to put your faith in either God or the Food Standards Agency. At least the latter exists...!

• I was just looking through my list of possible new threads I might create in the future and I came across my note about synthetic meat.

Synthetic meat is already being served in posh restaurants in New York and it's only a matter of time before it comes here too. So, perhaps the issue of animal welfare, prevention of bacteria etc might become redundant if the "meat" is grown instead of reared.

Although, at the moment, a synthetic "beef" burger has as much appeal to me as bleached chicken.

• I did once live in hope of lab meat for mass usage. Now it's here. It may be for toffs now, but the whole benefit of this would be to use this to feed those who are overpopulated and are causing vast areas of land to be abused and deforested for the support of the humongous amounts of domestic animals needed to sustain the incessant breeding of underclass humans. If there were less of us, there wouldn't be such a problem and abattoir methods could be a lot less brutal. We used to sustain ourselves from Nature and the land but now we are just consuming the planet. And each other in endless conflicts. So way-hey to lab meat.

• There is a long, informative article in the Independent about chlorinated chicken.

http://www.independent.co.uk/n…environment-a7860866.html

Most of the safety issues seem to be a matter of EU regulations. Judging by the American branch of the family, chlorinated chicken won't kill you. Mind you, judging by them, neither will eating enormous meals including a starter meant for sharing each and consuming 3 bottles of Pino Grigio in an afternoon.

• I've never had chlorinated chicken so can't comment on the taste. Maybe it's just the thought of it that turns people off like Europeans eating horse or Asians eating dog.

We only eat British meat and will continue to do so even if it costs a bit more.

Basically the consumer will decide. I wouldn't let it stop a trade deal so we can import chlorinated chicken but if no one want's it it will soon disappear from the shelves anyway

• Perhaps that maybe the best way, as you say, let the market decide. I probably wouldn't want it to block a trade deal either and despite all the doom and gloom by some over Brexit, how can cheaper food from America be a bad thing?

We only eat mainly British meat too (New Zealand too) but the labels are deceptive. They say British on the front with British flags, then if you look at the label at the back, it says "product of EU."

• On the subject of grown meat, if they can get it out of the lab and to the point someone comes up with a chicken wing tree, or a lamb shawarma bush - I'm first in the queue.

It would be pretty cool if they could get to the point where they create a set up where the bush / plant also produces spice 'pollen' that then causes the 'meat' to get a light coating of the appropriate spices as it reaches maturity.

• I can't believe that in a world beset with some of the most horrendous human suffering, caused by war and ignorance, greed and dictatorship, people are worrying themselves to death over chicken washed in anti-bacterial solution.

• I can't believe that in a world beset with some of the most horrendous human suffering, caused by war and ignorance, greed and dictatorship, people are worrying themselves to death over chicken washed in anti-bacterial solution.

I'm less worried about Chlorinated Chicken, and more worried about getting my hands on a Chicken Wing Tree that 'pollinates' my wings with cayenne pepper etc ;)

Fair enough, LW, but I don't want to eat the stuff.

• On the subject of grown meat, if they can get it out of the lab and to the point someone comes up with a chicken wing tree, or a lamb shawarma bush - I'm first in the queue.

In a way, it may get to that.

What there is now, is synthetic meat. Lab grown meat. There is never a living animal involved, but the cells used to grow the meat are synthesised from real animals. What has taken all the time to get this product to market is that the scientists have been working hard to get the stuff as close to meat as possible, like getting a meat like texture.

I suspect this may be a stepping stone onto something else and away from meat altogether. So, if the scientists can come up with a tree that has "fruit" that tastes like chicken, it may go that way.

• For me a plant is the best way to bring it out of the lab and into the world. Instead of lab equipment and messing about with cultures and a controlled environment to grow the meat in you use a plant as the 'life support system' to grow the meat.

It's not that far removed from 'the vines'

Why couldn't plants spit out meat!

A plant that could end starvation forever - Who would have thought a children's cartoon from the 80's would be delivering concepts that we are now pursuing seriously!

• Chlorine-washed chicken and hormone-injected beef should be part of a UK/US free trade deal, a farming union said.

Roger Johnson, president of America's National Farmers Union, said US food was "perfectly safe" and there had been a lot of "fear-mongering"

The issue of bleached chicken is back on the menu, or should that be agenda.

The man representing the American farming union finishes off the BBC article by saying, "You know what - water is a liquid that drowns people; it doesn't mean we don't drink it," in his comparison to bleached American chicken. I don't really see his point.

He says that UK consumers should have a choice and this is probably what the government will agree to in the end with a free trade agreement with the Americans, that as long as there is clear labelling bleached chicken, injected beef etc will be on our supermarket shelves.

What I'm uneasy about most is what we already have, GM food. Most of our biscuits and breakfast cereals are made from American wheat and corn, which almost all of it is supplied by the American GM giant Monsanto. How safe is that?

• The chlorine is used as an anti-bacterial treatment, not as a bleach. If we used this in the UK the cases of food poisoning and deaths by bacteria from raw chicken meat would be greatly reduced. If the packaging stated that an anti-bacterial treatment has been used to ensure your safety, I'm sure most people would be happy. It's just the sensationalism of the press that calls it chlorinated as if that's something wrong. We treat water and swiming pools with chlorine for the same anti-bacterial reasons and nobody seems to have an issue with that. Chlorine just happens to be the cheapest product that can be used. There are many other anti-bacterial washes that could be used.

The reason so many are getting worked up about this is that removing the bacteria in this way *could* allow for lower (cheaper) standards in rearing the birds compared to the UK and the consequent "unfair" competition. In the UK other meaures are taken to try and reduce the levels of salmonella and compilobactor but the meat on sale is still heavily contaminated hence the cautions about keeping raw chicken away from other foodstuffs and washing your hands after handling raw chicken.

Hormone injected beef is a different issue and I would not want to eat that as the long term health issues are not fully understood.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• The chlorine is used as an anti-bacterial treatment, not as a bleach.

I know. A deliberate misuse of language on my part.;)

On the rest of your post, which is very good BTW, the easiest way to eliminate bacteria in chicken is to cook it thoroughly. No need for the "bleach" wash.

As I'm sure you're aware, there is lots of scientific evidence which suggests that by using anti-bacterial products, we may be creating a new generation of bacteria that is resistant to all known treatments, the so called super bugs and we should not as a matter of course use anti-bacterial products for that reason.

Your arguments on the cheaper chicken are well founded and the reason why the UK is so keen on a free trade agreement with America, as there is the possibility of getting significantly cheaper products from them. Their country is vast and produces stuff far cheaper than we ever can.

• we should not as a matter of course use anti-bacterial products for that reason.

Try telling that to millions of paranoid women.;)

It's really the massive uncontrolled use of anti-biotic medicines that are creating the resistance problem, especially if the course is terminated before all the bacterial infection is treated, rather than using bleach etc as a cleaning and sterilising agent. I am not aware of any bugs that aren't killed or neutralised ( you can't kill a virus as it's not "alive" ) by common chlorine or phenol based products.

4312-gwban-gif

• Try telling that to millions of paranoid women. ;)

I live with one of those, he's called my brother! Damn anti-bacterial products everywhere. I chuck 'em, he buys more.:S