Would you eat chlorinated chicken?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • It's not bleached. The chlorine wash is as an anti-bacteria treatment just like salad veg is in this country.

So what is this bleached chicken that the EU banning regulations will still apply to

The government confirms today that EU legislation banning bleached chicken and hormone fed beef from America will be incorporated into our domestic legislation. I am sure that will please Trump...

• Washing the chickens in a strong chlorine solution (20-50 parts per million of chlorine) provides a brash, cost-effective method of killing any microorganisms on the surface of the bird, particularly bacteria such as species of Salmonella and Campylobacter. This helps prevent the meat being contaminated with microbes during slaughter and evisceration.

Note the concentration of chlorine in parts per million (ppm). I doubt that you could even detect that let alone bleach anything with it. By comparison tap water has up to 4 ppm of chlorine.

Full details of the EU ban and concerns on the link.

• Now I'm really pleased about that but how does that affect us if we are not in the EU. I was planning on going full on vegi if we started importing chicken from the US. I don't trust them one little bit. I've already had to cut down on fish because of the plastics and chemicals. Scottish Salmon has to be the worst which is run mostly by Norwegian companies now. Most of the salmon we are eating including what's labelled as wild salmon is diseased.

Chlorinated chicken is safer than the stuff we get from the EU, Norra, which has far more bacteria on it, hence the salmonella scares we have had in the past right up to the present.

If you really do have problems with safer chlorinated chicken, you can simply choose not to buy chicken from the US. There will still be a choice, and EU chicken won't be banned from the UK!

There are many misconceptions about Brexit. It is important to note that trade with Europe doesn't stop just because we will have left the EU!

• I would trust the UK and our own food standards more than the US. But I would prefer to see the chickens kept in more free range humane conditions where they don't have to live in their own shit. It's factory style Chickens that are causing the problems. Salmonella I think is because many folk don't store or cook things properly. Most folk don't even think about cross contamination and storage of food in their fridge. Separate shelves for cooked, uncooked, meats, dairy etc. Then there's the issue of storage in the supermarkets and before they get to the supermarket shelves. We have all these cooking programmes on TV yet none of them really talk about food hygiene, they often don't have safe practices themselves on these programmes with only quick rinse of hands under a tap.

Prevention is always better than cure so why create conditions that spread bacteria and disease and then try to mask over that with chemicals. Ban the factory chickens. But it's also all the processed rubbish and we never do really know what goes into that. We eat al kinds stuff including juices squeezed from the anus glands of beavers for food flavouring, vanilla being one of the main ones. I'm so sick of the food industry and all it's bad practises, scams etc that I am almost at the point where I might just go vegan or live off only what I can see in it's raw natural form like beans and pulses. Go buy a carrot from a farm shop in the UK countryside and you can taste carrot. Go and buy a carrot from the supermarket and it has no flavour. Probably been stored for 6 months in nitrogen freezers before going on the shelf. We shouldn't be importing any food that we can't make, breed, grow here. British farming is a mess and needs sorting out. Create some employment. Why do we have to always import stuff.

• And that's the exact reason that by hook or crook, we will get American "treated" chicken at some point.

Their farming and production facilities are vast. I've seen some of it myself. They can undercut anyone in the world with cheaper meat and cheaper prices is what will be the determining factor here.

• And that's the exact reason that by hook or crook, we will get American "treated" chicken at some point.

So long as it's properly labelled. The poor will get meat that they may not otherwise be able to afford.

I know there's the issue of animal welfare but not everybody thinks that matters much. ( I do )

• So do I, but...

I would trust the UK and our own food standards more than the US. But I would prefer to see the chickens kept in more free range humane conditions where they don't have to live in their own shit. It's factory style Chickens that are causing the problems.

Agree, but it's the cost. We would all prefer to eat food that is grown/reared in the best conditions, but the price is simply too high for most of us.

• So do I, but...

Agree, but it's the cost. We would all prefer to eat food that is grown/reared in the best conditions, but the price is simply too high for most of us.

I tend to buy only free range chicken, but I can afford to do so. As you say, not everyone has the luxury of being choosy.

If US chicken is all you can afford, it is certainly better than nothing.

Hopefully, the government will be able to get a trade deal with the US which also addresses animal welfare. If we have to pay a little more for that, so be it.

• Yes but to what expense and I don't mean financially but healthwise both to us and the animals. Slightly off topic but have you seen what they are doing with cows now. Cannulated cows for checking the digestion system and what's in the stomach and if bacteria is doing it's job. No need to check what comes out the rear as it's checked during transport

serveimage.jpg

I don't think it's our people that will push for it simply to save a few pennies but more the government. I would like to think the people have more sense which is why so many are turning away from these products. Vegetarians are on the increase and not all because they care about animals but they care about theirs and the planets health.

I'm sorry but the 'we are made to eat meat as part of our diet' argument does not cut it when what we end up with on the plate is mostly chemicals. It's mainly the older generation that are stuck in their head in the sand with the we must eat meat argument and the high testosterone 'I'm ard man' dickhead males mostly punch drunk and missing a few brain cells while reading through the Sunday Sport. The older generation will all be dying off soon and there's all the new generation growing up that want change and have already changed their diet. But I'm not saying we shouldn't eat meat just the quality of it which is no longer real meat as it should be. It's meat saturated in chemicals and hormones.

Most Americans are fat and dumb and will eat any old crap. Have you seen the shite they feed their school kids. Makes our Turkey twizlers look heavenly. We need protein, carbs and fibre not chemicals and hormone treatments. Has anyone ever considered the hormones going into food might be what is partially to blame for, not all, but many that want to become trans. Geez next thing we will be hearing about is mali99 wearing a dress and pink panties. LOL

• It's mainly the older generation that are stuck in their head in the sand with the we must eat meat argument

I'm not so sure about that, Norra. Most of the young people I know are meat-eaters, but I have noticed that a growing number of them are eating more healthily these days.

I know more vegans from the Greenham Common protest days, to be honest, and they don't arf look pale!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!