Would you eat chlorinated chicken?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • I can't believe that in a world beset with some of the most horrendous human suffering, caused by war and ignorance, greed and dictatorship, people are worrying themselves to death over chicken washed in anti-bacterial solution.

I'm less worried about Chlorinated Chicken, and more worried about getting my hands on a Chicken Wing Tree that 'pollinates' my wings with cayenne pepper etc ;)

• On the subject of grown meat, if they can get it out of the lab and to the point someone comes up with a chicken wing tree, or a lamb shawarma bush - I'm first in the queue.

In a way, it may get to that.

What there is now, is synthetic meat. Lab grown meat. There is never a living animal involved, but the cells used to grow the meat are synthesised from real animals. What has taken all the time to get this product to market is that the scientists have been working hard to get the stuff as close to meat as possible, like getting a meat like texture.

I suspect this may be a stepping stone onto something else and away from meat altogether. So, if the scientists can come up with a tree that has "fruit" that tastes like chicken, it may go that way.

• For me a plant is the best way to bring it out of the lab and into the world. Instead of lab equipment and messing about with cultures and a controlled environment to grow the meat in you use a plant as the 'life support system' to grow the meat.

It's not that far removed from 'the vines'

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Why couldn't plants spit out meat!

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

A plant that could end starvation forever - Who would have thought a children's cartoon from the 80's would be delivering concepts that we are now pursuing seriously!

Edited once, last by bestkeptsecret (July 28, 2017 at 1:21 PM).

• Chlorine-washed chicken and hormone-injected beef should be part of a UK/US free trade deal, a farming union said.

Roger Johnson, president of America's National Farmers Union, said US food was "perfectly safe" and there had been a lot of "fear-mongering"

The issue of bleached chicken is back on the menu, or should that be agenda.

The man representing the American farming union finishes off the BBC article by saying, "You know what - water is a liquid that drowns people; it doesn't mean we don't drink it," in his comparison to bleached American chicken. I don't really see his point.

He says that UK consumers should have a choice and this is probably what the government will agree to in the end with a free trade agreement with the Americans, that as long as there is clear labelling bleached chicken, injected beef etc will be on our supermarket shelves.

What I'm uneasy about most is what we already have, GM food. Most of our biscuits and breakfast cereals are made from American wheat and corn, which almost all of it is supplied by the American GM giant Monsanto. How safe is that?

• The chlorine is used as an anti-bacterial treatment, not as a bleach. If we used this in the UK the cases of food poisoning and deaths by bacteria from raw chicken meat would be greatly reduced. If the packaging stated that an anti-bacterial treatment has been used to ensure your safety, I'm sure most people would be happy. It's just the sensationalism of the press that calls it chlorinated as if that's something wrong. We treat water and swiming pools with chlorine for the same anti-bacterial reasons and nobody seems to have an issue with that. Chlorine just happens to be the cheapest product that can be used. There are many other anti-bacterial washes that could be used.

The reason so many are getting worked up about this is that removing the bacteria in this way *could* allow for lower (cheaper) standards in rearing the birds compared to the UK and the consequent "unfair" competition. In the UK other meaures are taken to try and reduce the levels of salmonella and compilobactor but the meat on sale is still heavily contaminated hence the cautions about keeping raw chicken away from other foodstuffs and washing your hands after handling raw chicken.

Hormone injected beef is a different issue and I would not want to eat that as the long term health issues are not fully understood.

• The chlorine is used as an anti-bacterial treatment, not as a bleach.

I know. A deliberate misuse of language on my part.;)

On the rest of your post, which is very good BTW, the easiest way to eliminate bacteria in chicken is to cook it thoroughly. No need for the "bleach" wash.

As I'm sure you're aware, there is lots of scientific evidence which suggests that by using anti-bacterial products, we may be creating a new generation of bacteria that is resistant to all known treatments, the so called super bugs and we should not as a matter of course use anti-bacterial products for that reason.

Your arguments on the cheaper chicken are well founded and the reason why the UK is so keen on a free trade agreement with America, as there is the possibility of getting significantly cheaper products from them. Their country is vast and produces stuff far cheaper than we ever can.

• we should not as a matter of course use anti-bacterial products for that reason.

Try telling that to millions of paranoid women.;)

It's really the massive uncontrolled use of anti-biotic medicines that are creating the resistance problem, especially if the course is terminated before all the bacterial infection is treated, rather than using bleach etc as a cleaning and sterilising agent. I am not aware of any bugs that aren't killed or neutralised ( you can't kill a virus as it's not "alive" ) by common chlorine or phenol based products.

• live with one of those, he's called my brother!

^^

Anyhow to return to topic: Yes I would buy and eat said chicken if the price were right. I would prefer to buy a product where the welfare standards are properly enforced though and tracable.

That is of course fresh or frozen chicken. There are many processed products though where the chicken may well have been produced in the far east, Asia or South America where the standards are much lower.

• I take it that was intentional, if not it made me chuckle anyway. :D

No, no there's no conspiracy between Heero and I, Ron. He posts what he wants and I do what I want. Now, if you started posting in the gardening thread, that might be seen as a conspiracy between us all.:P

Anyhow to return to topic:

Sorry.:whistling::)

That is of course fresh or frozen chicken. There are many processed products though where the chicken may well have been produced in the far east, Asia or South America where the standards are much lower.

I personally don't eat many ready meals now, the cooking thread gave me enough ideas to move away from them. Thanks for that.:thumbup::) But I did notice a few times when I did have some ready meals, that the beef came from Brazil... I wonder what welfare or hygiene standards they have.:/

• No, no there's no conspiracy between Heero and I, Ron. He posts what he wants and I do what I want. Now, if you started posting in the gardening thread, that might be seen as a conspiracy between us all.:P

My gardening begins and ends with mowing the lawn and hacking back the continual jungle of tree saplings that insist on invading my space, if I ever had the urge to do anything else I would get myself sectioned. 8)

• Now I'm really pleased about that but how does that affect us if we are not in the EU. I was planning on going full on vegi if we started importing chicken from the US. I don't trust them one little bit. I've already had to cut down on fish because of the plastics and chemicals. Scottish Salmon has to be the worst which is run mostly by Norwegian companies now. Most of the salmon we are eating including what's labelled as wild salmon is diseased.

• Unlike bleached tripe, which is bleached but has been eaten in the UK for centuries without any ill effects.

Mark Twain — 'Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.'

• Freedom of choice. Just make it statute law to show what is bleached and what is not. (chlorinated) Then we will see the "free market" principles at work.

We dont ban Coke?? I wonder why? Yet we have a "sugar scare"?? OK so ban Coke with sugar.

Ban Vape Smoking... people have died and no one knows what is in theses things.

Ban Peanuts.. thousands have died from nut transference.

The MSM will choose their subject for us to feel shock and awe.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!