New diesel and petrol cars to banned by 2040. Why not sooner?

When making a post, please ensure it complies with this site's Main Rules at all times.
  • New diesel and petrol cars and vans will be banned in the UK from 2040 in a bid to tackle air pollution, the government is set to announce.

Ministers will also unveil a £255m fund to help councils tackle emissions from diesel vehicles, as part of a £3bn package of spending on air quality.

The government will later publish its clean air strategy, favouring electric cars, before a High Court deadline.

====

In Slojo's thread, another car manufacturer announced the manufacture of all electric cars.

If and it is a if, the technology, especially the battery technology, is good enough for all electric cars, why wait until 2040?

Fumes are choking the lungs of people today, why not ban new petrol and especially diesel vechicles sooner, say by 2030?

Even that's too far away. If the battery technology is good enough, should we not ban new petrol and diesel vehicles immediately?

• Who says the technology is good enough? Part of the idea of this is to push it through.

• Who says the technology is good enough?

The two car manufactures that are bringing it about. See slojo's thread on one of them.

Yippee!!!!

But, it has to work first. I've not hard about a revolution in battery technology yet, but perhaps I'm simply not up with recent developments.

I'll be the first to celebrate when all electric cars are everywhere and petrol and diesel cars are all at the dump. Which is why I posed the question. If the technology is good enough, then everything should be moved forward. Why wait? But if the technology is not mature enough yet, that's a problem. A big one.

• Better than nothing. I'm looking forward to self-drive as the roads are so dangerous with lunatic drivers where I am that it would be wonderful to see these forced into sedate behaviour by an android controlling their machine. :evil:

• I don't drive either. I agree with you that choking on commuter fumes must stop. China has created some of the most horrific smog on this account since it went capitalist. It's not the fault of capitalism, as such, it's the problem of every individual needing a car. If cars were silent, electric and commuter and other travel was by magnetic rail underground in capsules that could catapult people to places at great speed with hardly anyone noticing, we would truly have evolved beyond the stink and noise of our present situation.

• Scientists reckon they could be underground tubes that contain trains/pods which could travel at high speed.

When/if, all electric vehicles do come about and coupled with AI, that will be the start of a new transport revolution. Hope I'm around to see the beginning stages of it, it would be very exciting.

I like infrastructure related subjects.:)

• The two car manufactures that are bringing it about. See slojo's thread on one of them.

But, it has to work first. I've not hard about a revolution in battery technology yet, but perhaps I'm simply not up with recent developments.

I'll be the first to celebrate when all electric cars are everywhere and petrol and diesel cars are all at the dump. Which is why I posed the question. If the technology is good enough, then everything should be moved forward. Why wait? But if the technology is not mature enough yet, that's a problem. A big one.

The technology is not mature enough but as I say this will push it through.

Also we need some time to get our electricity generation capacity up.

• I think it's as you said earlier, it's how quick this technology will push through.

If there is quite a high initial demand for all electric cars and someone believes they can make a penny out of it all, then someone will find a way to find solutions to change from a infrastructure geared towards petrol and diesel vehicles, to one geared towards all electric.

There was actually a programme recently on BBC 4 about this and AI could play a big part here.

I said how would we charge up all these cars, but on the programme, they already had a solution for that. We wouldn't. The cars would drive off themselves to charging point! :) We wouldn't need to worry about parking either, the car would also sort that out itself.

I really think this will as as revolutionary, if not more so, than changing from the horse and cart to the motorised vehicle.

• Surely it would make more sense to increase production of hybrid cars between now and 2040. I'd also like to know how the government is going to recoup the lost taxes it now gets from petrol and diesel sales.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!