Free movement to end by March 2019 says Government

• A new immigration system will be in place by March 2019 when the free movement of people between the EU and the UK ends, a minister has said.

Free movement to end in 2019

====

I see it when I believe it.

If the government is going to have a immigration system in place by March 2019, it'll better get its shoes on.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• It will be interesting to see how that will work in light of the likelihood that we will have a transitional period that sees the same rules in place on the day after brexit, as were in place the day before.

The government seem to be contracting themselves an awful lot at the moment.

• Not sure where to post this as there is also the thread about Hammond and the transitional deal here.

Yesterday, we had the news that Liam Fox was having arguments with some cabinet members over free movement, post Brexit. Fox said that the public expects that free movement will end in March 2019, whereas others, especially Hammond, have said that free movement should continue during the transitional period.

Today, No10 aka May, has slapped Hammond right in the face on this, news story here.

Clearly the cabinet is split, that is not good, not good at all at such a critical time for the country. How much longer can this continue?

Knifes will come out, be in no doubt about it, but will they be stuck into May, or will she do the sticking?

Get the carpet cleaner at the ready, blood will start flowing on Downing Street's carpets soon, I reckon.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Knifes will come out, be in no doubt about it, but will they be stuck into May, or will she do the sticking?

Now that is the question. I'm not sure who is in the greatest danger, Hammond and Co. or May herself. The Tories have a lot to lose if she tells them she's had enough of their carping and is resigning. I don't think they'll want to chance a leadership election and even greater divisions within the party now, especially with the party conference coming up in a couple of months.

The longer May holds out the more secure her position can become, especially if the Brexit negotiations start producing good results for Britain.

If she holds her nerve she can still come out the other side as a successful leader in my opinion.