Diana worshipping overload.

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • While I agree that what happened to her regarding the accident that ended her life was a tragedy, just like anyone who dies in similar accident, so it's so many years since the accident the media have gone into Diana worshipping/revealing her secrets overload and no doubt the conspiracy theorists will be at it again suggesting this or that conspiracy over her death, which all makes it a bit "Meh" to use a popular phrase. :rolleyes:

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• I entirely agree with you. I simply cannot understand why this woman has been venerated as a saint among the masses. Personally, I think she was a slapper who would have slept around whatever Charles behaviour had been. She could have a brilliant career on the stage playing the shy and innocent victim like a blushing bride with her well rehearsed lowered eyes and coy glances.

As for her own behaviour, she hadn't even seen her children for a month before she died and the last phone call to them was apparently a hurried affair before she went off to enjoy herself for the rest of the evening.

Of course the children were devastated when she died but for them to raise the corpse and start sobbing all over the media 20 years later is not only undignified, it stinks of an attempt to gain public sympathy by playing the victims.

Now she's claimed her private bodyguard, who apparently was yet another of her bed mates, was 'bumped off.' Well in the extremely remote possibility that he was, and it was done to save her reputation, about a dozen other men would have needed to be got rid of as well.

• While I agree that what happened to her regarding the accident that ended her life was a tragedy, just like anyone who dies in similar accident,

But she wasn't just "anyone" who died in a accident, she was the mother to a future King and probably the most popular person in modern times.

so it's so many years since the accident the media have gone into Diana worshipping/revealing her secrets overload and no doubt the conspiracy theorists will be at it again suggesting this or that conspiracy over her death, which all makes it a bit "Meh" to use a popular phrase.

I liked Diana and I was considering watching all the stuff about her on tv, but I have this forum and other things to do, so I decided not to.

If people can still make money out of her twenty years after her death, they will and I am sure some will on this anniversary of her death.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• By all means remember her on the anniversary of her death if you need to (some of us don't) , just no need for all the muck raking about who was having affairs with who and all the revealing of so called secrets.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• As I said, I haven't watched any of the shows, so I don't know what they're saying. I agree, leave all that crap in the past where it belongs.

• I dumped the Diana supplement from the paper today. TBQH I'm fed up with all this adulation. I'll tell you a little story:

My late mother used to be a welfare auxiliary in a special needs school in Worthing that was "graced" by a visit from Diana. While the cameras were rolling she was all over the kids like a rash. The moment the press went she cold shouldered the children and the staff. Much of what people saw was a carefully crafted PR exercise.

The present nonsense is but a gnat's bite compared to what we will get when the Queen pops her clogs. :cursing:

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• That's very interesting Heero. Come back to this later.I'm just going to tell my mum that.

• I dumped the Diana supplement from the paper today.

As soon as I mentioned Diana supplements, I was immediately dispatched to go and get them all.

That's all your fault Heero, :) and I got a bit wet too.

• I found, at the time, the endless queues of several million people over many weeks waiting to sign a book of condolence ludicrous.

She did do a lot of good, but she was a complex, troubled woman in my opinion.

Loon.

• Erhh, ok.:)

When I was signing the book, I was saying goodbye to someone who had been a significant part of British life and I agree, she was troubled. She wasn't perfect, no more perfect than Charles going off on his wedding night with another woman.

• I've missed most of this but even I've noticed her face pop up a bit more often than usual. What's brought it on? Is it an anniversary of her death or something?

• Yep. 20th anniversary of her death which happened on the 31st August 1997.

• Jesus so we've still got a month of it to go?? I've no problem with Di but don't need to hear all the old crap again. And it's probably going to set off those conspiracy theories again...

• ....well, as you've opened that door.;)

What do you reckon? Accident or not?

• It's starting, and as you say, another month more of it.

• They're going to release her private tapes. There is a tug of war between Channel 4's need for controversy and Diana's brother's duty to keep her sons form the soap opera agony of her life as a Royal.

Exhuming all this is possibly also attached to the Royal functions thing that Prince William and his family are going to enter into now that he is no longer a rescue helicopter pilot.

They could put up a decent statue of Diana in a park. That would make her eternally one of the people and give her followers somewhere to pay their respects. She was very popular, so, personally, I'd like her to have a nice statue.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• It's starting, and as you say, another month more of it.

Good job we have TV schedule mags that way the avoiding can be planned in advance and I already don't by the comics they call newspapers these days and tend to avoid TV news like the plague so the crap shouldn't bother me too much.

• Good job we have TV schedule mags that way the avoiding can be planned in advance and I already don't by the comics they call newspapers these days and tend to avoid TV news like the plague so the crap shouldn't bother me too much.

Diana programmes seem to be on all the main channels.

The past should be left in the past.

• Diana programmes seem to be on all the main channels.

The past should be left in the past.

They can put it on as many channels they like if i want to avoid it completely the TV will stay off and I will find something else to do instead.

• It's all money making...

I am surprised by the amount of shows on. I've not noticed anything on the BBC yet, but ITV, CH4 and 5 are all at it.

• From the clips of one of the 'shows' what stands out to me is the constant eye-rolling she is doing while being interviewed, I am no body language expert or behaviourist, but to me that seems strange.

• 20 years ago today, Princess Diana died.

Love her or loathe her, she was a significant part of British life for a very long time.

I will say more later.

• Every time something comes on about her I hit the mute or off button, like just now on R4. I also dump anything in my paper about her unread. Just had enough of the stupid national grieving of the snowflakes. Mind you I bet the florists and teddy bear makers are rubbing their hands together with glee.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Every time something comes on about her I hit the mute or off button, like just now on R4. I also dump anything in my paper about her unread. Just had enough of the stupid national grieving of the snowflakes. Mind you I bet the florists and teddy bear makers are rubbing their hands together with glee.

Err. ok....:whistling:

As a "snowflake", I have started to watch the Diana stuff on tv, despite my earlier comments in this thread and it has brought back strong emotions.

shes been brown bread for almost 20 years.

A lot has happened in the World since then....

Yes, true, but even once someone has passed away, that does not mean they are eliminated from your life for good.

• Never had a problem with her but largely uninterested. Maybe my lack of interest and therefore knowledge of her explains why I have no problem with her. I was never too sure what she actually did to receive such adulation to be honest. Likewise I often struggle to work out why other celebrities get hated (Piers Morgan aside of course).

• Watching the tv shows and reading the articles certainly does stir up things up. Perhaps I should've kept to what I said earlier in the thread and stayed away from it all.

She got the "adulation" as you put it, Hoxton, because she was ground breaking in so many ways. Would you have touched someone with AIDS back then? Would you even now?

She didn't need to visit the homeless or vulnerable, but she did and there will be many people and groups that will never forget that.

As for celebrities in general, I guess it depends on the celebrity. Like you I avoid all the celeb news, although some (Bieber) it's hard to escape from. In part, it's jealously when the celebs get hated, because the worshippers want what the celebs have. But, in the case of others like Bieber, it's also down to the celeb's own individual bad behaviour.

• She was very nervous most of the time and that accounts for her ducking her head all the time and looking up at the camera. She hated the constant concentration on her, Charles got upset when she caved in under pressure and so she had to find a way to survive. I empathise with her and I'm glad that at last her sons are going to get her a statue in her flower garden . She should have had a statue after she died because not only was she widely loved worldwide but she did a lot to raise the image of Britain and she also did a lot to blow a hole in the stuffiness of protocol.

She was driven into the arms of the Al Fayyads by the Royal Family and especially by Charles. If she had been calculating and cold she could have accepted his affair with Camilla and simply run her own life form The Palace, but she was real and vulnerable and so she fell on thorns.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• I'm just glad I managed to avoid all the crap about her at least with stuff like this they give you enough warning as to when it will be shown so it can be actively avoided.