Poland revives German war reparations demand

• Poland revives German war reparations demand

Eight years after the end of the Second World War, Poland renounced its claim to reparations from Germany. But its parliament is ignoring that and is once again calling on Berlin to pay up. EURACTIV Germany reports.

More than 72 years after the end of WW2, Germany is facing calls to make reparations. The scientific commission of Poland’s lower house is examining ways to get it done, with analysis set to be completed by 11 August.

Under the then Mayor of Warsaw, Lech Kaczyński, the twin brother of the current leader of the ruling party, Jarosław Kaczyński, the cost of the war was estimated to have been $45.3bn for the capital alone.

https://www.euractiv.com/section/justic ... ns-demand/

Obviously Poland was ruled by the USSR after the war. Now it is free and has a properly elected government it's only right that they should get compensation for what the Germans did.

• I still haven't given up with my campaign for compensation from Denmark, Sweden and Norway for the Viking trade in British slaves. An apology would be a start... Admittedly I haven't actually started the campaign either but it's the thought that counts.

• This might be as much to do with the EU as WW2.

Poland see Germany being the dominate member of the EU, more so now that we're leaving the EU and fancies clipping Germany's wings a bit especially as the Germans are in so a good financial position.

I remember at a EU meeting a few years the Poles wanted to get the voting arrangements changed as the Germans had the most votes and far more than Poland. Germany disagreed and Merkel said we have more people than you, hence more votes. To which the Polish PM replied by saying we would have as many people today as Germany if it weren't for Germany exterminating a third of our population in WW2. Ouch.

How any country can get into bed with Germany today after the terrible events of WW2, beggars belief, but they are and they can get on with it.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.