Should breastfeeding be allowed in public?

• The Victoria and Albert Museum has apologised after a mum said she was asked to "cover up" while breastfeeding on a visit to the London attraction.

In a post on Twitter, the woman said she was "perplexed" by the request and posted several images of naked female statues from the museum's exhibitions.
    BBC article

======

What do people think of this one?

There are some things of today I like and there are some things of today I dislike, another example being people's insistence that they have to have their lunches/dinners while walking along the streets, or worse, on public transport. And don't even get me started about the fact that they also need to show the world the contents of their mouths while eating...

I know that when I was a baby, I was never breastfed in public, nor would I have ever been. I did just ask what would have happened if I had been hungry and I was away from my house and the response I got back was, "you would have had to wait until you got back home."

Is it really necessary for mums of today to get their tits out in public to feed their babies? If the babies must be fed in public, what's wrong with a bottle?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Eating food on the go can be messy so there's a case against it but I've no idea why people have an issue with breastfeeding. I don't think I've ever seen a mum "getting their tits out" to breastfeed, it's always been discreet. And obviously I'm not going to sit there gawping anyway. So what if they use breast instead of bottle?!

• I think that your use of the phrase "getting their tits out" shows how some people find it difficult to view something as natural as a baby being breastfed in anything other than a sexual context. I doubt that there are many mothers who would intentionally wave their bare breasts about to advertise that they intend to or have just finished breastfeeding their baby and whilst the baby is actually feeding seeing a "tit" would need very close scrutiny of the onlooker. So we are left with a - gasp - glimpse of flesh, a mere sliver of skin that some people find so offensive a mother feeding her child is made to feel like a perverted outcast from "decent" society. :cursing:

• I think that your use of the phrase "getting their tits out" shows how some people find it difficult to view something as natural as a baby being breastfed in anything other than a sexual context

Deliberate use of the phrase...;)

I will balance it out by picking on the men next.

So we are left with a - gasp - glimpse of flesh, a mere sliver of skin that some people find so offensive a mother feeding her child is made to feel like a perverted outcast from "decent" society.

Leaving aside the actual method of feeding, why do so many mums now feel the need to feed their babies "on the go"? The babies won't starve if they have to wait a bit until the mother gets home.

The V&A said that mothers can breastfeed "where ever they like." Even if mums are discreet, is it acceptable to be breastfeeding say in a reception area, or a corridor? Is there any place/time when it is not acceptable?

• The days of breastfeeding mothers being confined to the home so that they can always have a hot meal waiting when her lord and master comes home from killing a mammoth are long gone. Mothers are now allowed to go out, shop, meet friends etc and not all activities can be fitted in between feeds. Nor should they have to.

If it were a toddler who could be fed a substitute then fair enough, waiting for a breastfeed is possible but a young baby fed on demand may only go a couple of hours between some feeds. Unfortunately most babies do not understand timetables nor can they understand the concept of waiting to get home before they are fed. If you ever had a young baby you would realise that when he or she was crying with hunger there is a bodily response that happens to the mother. Having breast milk start leaking can be uncomfortable and is not something a mother can control.

As for the alternatives. Why should a mother have to use a a bottle of formula or, if she breastfeeds, express her milk in order to put it into a bottle just to placate the morons who seem to consider breastfeeding a baby something that needs to be hidden away. Both may be a necessity for some women but that doesn't mean they either has to be used by every mother just to satisfy the childish efforts to stop a mother breastfeeding in public.

I pity those sad individuals who frown over such a beautiful moment in time as the sight of a mother in the act of feeding her baby. Are tits only for men to suck on and drool over, have TITS become so sexualised that their actual purpose has been forgotten? Page 3 has a lot to answer for and the men, and yes I do believe that in the main it is men who are to blame, should just grow up!

Add// I apologise to any man reading this who is adult enough to not to have a problem with seeing a woman breastfeeding her baby. I do know that not all of you come over all hot and bothered or faint at the sight of a nursing mother and child. Thank goodness

• Can't think of any. Unfortunately babies don't know how to conduct themselves and tend to want feeding at the most inopportune moments!

• I don't have a problem with someone breastfeeding in public as long as it's done discreetly, what I do question is some of the locations that are chosen, I do remember a story of a mother doing it in a public swimming pool and a fuss being made because the staff asked her to stop and move to a more suitable area.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• Despite my provocative question, its the discretion I really meant in my OP.

I don't think anyone would have a problem if its done in a corner of a restaurant, but it is the type of locations that can be a issue.

• So what types of locations would you find acceptable?

I was once asked to move to the ladies toilets as there was a nappy changing table there I could lean against!! I would hope that wouldn't be somewhere you would suggest?

• So what types of locations would you find acceptable?

I was once asked to move to the ladies toilets as there was a nappy changing table there I could lean against!! I would hope that wouldn't be somewhere you would suggest?

So do you consider in a public swimming pool an acceptable location and I mean actually in the pool not sat at the side, the story I saw the woman was actually in the shallow children pools the staff asked her if she minded getting out and she refused.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• Personally I would have got out of the pool as I wouldn't have felt safe balancing my baby whilst standing in an area where I could be bumped by other people in the pool. So on a safety issue I wouldn't choose to stand in the middle of a road or pavement to breastfeed either.

• I think in some cases , its fact that most people today have little or no respect for other people- breastfeeding is natural, but theres no need to make a song & dance about it. A little consideration goes a long way.

By all means breastfeed; no problem- its natural.

I need to have a piss and as a Man , I have a willy. Its natural to wee. But I wouldnt take it out and do it in front of others & make a big song & dance about it like some do with breastfeeding.

I was in a cafe once and an entitled Mum with a baby just got out her ( tatooed) breast & shoved the baby on. It was a case of " me-I can do what I like and fuck everyone else"

I dont want to look at tatooed tits in the cafe while Im eating, if that had been me I would have arranged the babys blanket round so as to be discreet- a little respect for others privacy. Thats how I was brought up.

By all means, breastfeed. The baby needs milk on demand; thats nature. Perfectly right & natural.

But-as in everything - and sadly lacking in todays society- have a little decorum and thought for others when dealing with the general public. I wish the woman had that I saw in the cafe.

Loon.

• I do know that not all of you come over all hot and bothered or faint at the sight of a nursing mother and child. Thank goodness

Good post Jo and I largely agree, especially the lord and master/killing a mammoth bit.^^ But it's not coming over all hot and bothered at the sight at bit of flesh that is the problem, but this:

But-as in everything - and sadly lacking in todays society- have a little decorum and thought for others when dealing with the general public.

It's the decorum.

Some mothers are discreet, that's not a problem, but some do make a show of it, hence my crude remark, although accurate one.