Facial recognition. A wonderful new tool or infringment of privacy?

• According to this Daily Mail article, Go-Ahead, one of the largest train companies, is investing in facial recognition technology that it says could eliminate queuing for things such as tickets. The technology might also be used at airports, cash machines etc to cut queues while providing a high level of security.

The article goes on to describe another company which will use facial recognition technology to provide mobile apps which can take information from your social media profile and use that to identify your correct identity by scanning your facial details. One of the worries being is that the technology may be used to impersonate someone.

I must admit some of this goes over my head, but what do you think? Is this technology a good thing and could eliminate queuing forever, or could we be handing companies too much information about ourselves which can then be exploited by others all for a bit of convenience for ourselves?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I imagine airports will install this tech as soon as it's ready to go and I guess if you don't want to have your picture taken, then don't fly.

I think this tech on its own is not too bad but if a government, company, criminal has this kind of technology in the future in conjunction with genetic information, it may go down a very unconformable path. George Orwell eat your heart out.

• I imagine airports will install this tech as soon as it's ready to go and I guess if you don't want to have your picture taken, then don't fly.

I think this tech on its own is not too bad but if a government, company, criminal has this kind of technology in the future in conjunction with genetic information, it may go down a very unconformable path. George Orwell eat your heart out.

The bit that George Orwell missed is that most people are inviting control. Not so much by government but certainly by corporations. I'm not an imaginative enough chap like George but I think power over us in the future will be more subtle than 1984, and we will have encouraged it to happen.

• He couldn't have foreseen though, the large global multinational companies that we have today. That said, look at China. A technically advanced state, but a authoritarian one.

I'm not sure I entirely agree that we are inviting control. Take Facebook, as an example. We don't really know what Facebook is about yet. They have complex algorithms doing god knows what with people's data. At least Google are a bit more open in that they say that every search we do is programming their AI, which they want to run every aspect of our lives in the future.

Are kids or others, inviting control by putting their lives and very personal information on systems such as Facebook? I don't think so. They just want to talk and show off to their friends, but what if all the information they put onto these systems can be used against them in the future?

• He couldn't have foreseen though, the large global multinational companies that we have today. That said, look at China. A technically advanced state, but a authoritarian one.

I'm not sure I entirely agree that we are inviting control. Take Facebook, as an example. We don't really know what Facebook is about yet. They have complex algorithms doing god knows what with people's data. At least Google are a bit more open in that they say that every search we do is programming their AI, which they want to run every aspect of our lives in the future.

Are kids or others, inviting control by putting their lives and very personal information on systems such as Facebook? I don't think so. They just want to talk and show off to their friends, but what if all the information they put onto these systems can be used against them in the future?g

There's plenty said about the amount of information put online, I don't believe kids are so cut off they don't hear that, they just don't see it as an issue. It's not just kids anyway, anyone bought Alexa or Google Home? When are they not listening to what's going on? Do you care?

We are certainly inviting it Horizon. No our George could not have foreseen global corporations but he would be horrified how wrong he was at how 1984 is coming about!

It is impossible to fight when the ordinary bloke is so supportive so I just go with the flow and hope there are some benefits to be had along the way...! There are benefits of course otherwise we wouldn't be so receptive. These corporate types are so much smarter than any government.

• I don't see it as a fight, but I just use a little caution. A few examples, I deliberately use proper money to pay for things sometimes. I don't want everything recorded, however mundane, to be on a corporation's file.

Although its getting harder, for internet searches, I don't always use Google (or Bing) but sometimes lesser known search engines.

I don't think most people are inviting control, they are simply ignorant of the potential dangers or misuse of information.

I don't have Alexia or Google Home, could I in the future? If these things can make my dinner, turn on the tv to something decent and screen out the neighbours, yes, I see it as a possibility. But, only if there is a OFF switch.

• Couple facial recognition with the network(s) of CCTV cameras and "they" will know where everybody is. I'd feel uncomfortable about this as there are times when I want to be alone and not findable. Not for any nefarious reasons. Just a little "me" time.

Once the big corporations get hold of this I can just see bill boards showing advertising specifically aimed at you as you pass but also complete strangers will also see these ads. Suppose you had piles? impotence? or some other even more embarrassing condition? One of the reasons I use a script blocker is to keep trackers at bay so the corporations can't harvest my browsing details.

Any device that has a microphone and/or camera and is connected to the net is a potential eaves dropper. If I had such devices in the house they would be OFF unless I was specifically using them.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in red it is moderation. Take note.

• I was trying to think of CCTV last night, but by then, my brain had switched off. If this facial recognition tech is used in conjunction with CCTV, then we really are into Orwellian territory.