Facebook takes on Youtube

• Social media giant Facebook has made a move into dedicated video, pitting it against YouTube and TV networks.

Users will soon see a new Watch tab that will offer a range of shows, some of which have been funded by the social network.

BBC article

====

With 2 billion users, Facebook seems determined to conquer the world. As well as destroying forums (would be nice if a few survived!:)) with their groups function, now they're putting their tanks on Youtube's turf and offering video too.

Will the internet just become Facebook, or will it like others before (MySpace, Bebo) eventually fade as users move onto the new best thing?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I think fb is here to stay, though as it becomes more & more bloated , people will minimise it. For example, the irritating " 3 years ago" automatic posts of old posts you made- one friend saw her old dog that had died & it got her down.

Another is the ludicrous automatic post " I know you wont read this, right? If 5 of my friends could copy & repost ...blah blah "

No thanks!

I do post a lot of youtube music on it , I dont care if youtube are logging my fb or fb are logging what songs I like- so what?

And always asking to update your personal info- my mugshot & mobile number doesnt go on anything, nor my home address etc ( only general town info) - again , No thanks!

Its a handy tool, but like all tools- use it properly & not carelessly.

Loon.

• I think fb is here to stay

I agree, but I am aware of another FB...;)

Interesting.

To be honest I've spent a grand total of about 10 minutes on there, so I know pretty much nothing of it. Perhaps in the future, I might be able to pester you with a few questions on how it all works?? Oh, and beyond a anonymous avatar, you'll never be pestered by me to post your real picture or name or anything like that.

• I am on facebook and have a small group of friends that I made on CF that I keep in touch with but I do not use my real life name anywhere on the net and have not done so since using the internet to sell my work so I don't fear the all invasive big brother aspect. Even my IP addy is under an alias ... OK so I wear an tin foil hat :D

I helped set up and run a small forum where we gave one on one support to newly diagnosed diabetics and eventually, for various reasons, we had to move over to Facebook where we still exist. However without the control that operating a forum allows it is difficult to provide the privacy that is needed and we may attempt to reopen our forum in the future. So maybe niche forums will survive as long as the owners/members want quality rather than a multitude of followers.

• Post the facebook details, Jo, I'd be interested to see the page. I may contact you in PM at some point on this too.

• Thanks Jo, looks like a nice site.

As I am completely uninitiated with using Facebook, I might ask you a few questions about using it? I'm clearly the only person on the planet who has never used Face Book.

• As I am completely uninitiated with using Facebook, I might ask you a few questions about using it? I'm clearly the only person on the planet who has never used Face Book.

Ask away, I am by no way an expert but as long as you aren't on anyone's hate list on CF then there is a small band of us who share the odd post there and it's good keeping in touch with members who have moved on. See PM

• MM, I'm a well controlled ( Steroid induced)T2 diagnosed 6 years ago. I also have Peripheral Neuropathy which make the underneath of my toes tingle. If you want to speak privately you can PM me on here or maybe you would consider opening an ailments thread, always good for a moan and a hug. :)