700k contaminated Dutch eggs here

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • About 700,000 eggs from Dutch farms in contamination scare have been distributed to UK, up from estimated 21,000

BBC article

=====

The last time I looked, our farms have chickens, well, they're in mostly factories. Why do we need to import eggs?

Edwina Currie needs to be brought out of retirement and deal with this NOW!^^

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• The imports are generally from battery hens, used in the catering trade, ready meals and similar products like quiches where the country of origin and rearing conditions don't need to be stated. As such they're much cheaper than proper free range eggs that you buy in the supermarkets.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• Another reason for me to stop using ready meals and cooks my own food!

• Another reason for me to stop using ready meals and cooks my own food!

One of the major reasons I cook a lot of stuff from scratch is that I then know the origin of most of the ingredients. Also it's not full of emulsifiers, preservatives or other additives that may be unhealthy nor excess salt, fat and sugar.

Unfortunately there are many products that contain eggs or extracts from eggs such as pies and sauces some of which would be time consuing to make.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

• By choice, and because I love cooking, I prepare all our meals from scratch and the only processed food my husband eats is bread from a local bakery baked fresh daily and made without additional preservatives. I do suspect that he sneaks the odd pie in when I am missing from home but if that's his only guilty pleasure then I am happy.

I do worry about the quality and contents of processed foods and this latest scare about contaminated eggs is just the latest nail in the coffin for me as far as buying any food that is not in it's simplest of forms or from a local source that I trust.

• One of the major reasons I cook a lot of stuff from scratch is that I then know the origin of most of the ingredients. Also it's not full of emulsifiers, preservatives or other additives that may be unhealthy nor excess salt, fat and sugar.

Unfortunately there are many products that contain eggs or extracts from eggs such as pies and sauces some of which would be time consuing to make.

I'll tell you in PM at some point, but there is another reason why I want to cook my own stuff, which has become more immediate over the last few months.

• Source

4312-gwban-gif

• I see it says that it's not just the UK market that is affected otherwise the paranoid types might be inclined to blame it on Brexit and bit of EU divorce revenge. :P;):D

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• Apparently its harmless to humans but the hysteria is always good for a story.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• What does concern me is that the EU kept this very quiet for months without actually sorting out the situation. Hopefully once we're out then imported products can be tested and if contaminated banned quickly without having to go through Brussels bureaucracy

4312-gwban-gif

• I don't understand why we need to import eggs to begin with. We have chickens in the UK, lots of them.

I would like to think that future imports would be tested, but knowing our slapstick controls, I doubt it.

• A lot of similarities between this and the beef that is not beef fiasco that happened a few years ago. if I remember rightly that was all traced back to suspect imports from EU countries, does tend to make you wonder do we really want to carry on trading with he EU that badly, lets get back to being the self sufficient country we used to be regarding our food supplies.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• I don't understand why we need to import eggs to begin with. We have chickens in the UK, lots of them.

Price. Industrial food production is all about costs. Cheap battery hen eggs from Holland are much cheaper than high welfare eggs from free range UK sources. Blame the consumer for not knowing what's in the ready meals, pies, quiches etc.

4312-gwban-gif

• The sooner I start cooking my own food, the better, frankly.