CCTV to be compulsory in all abattoirs in England

• Slaughterhouses in England will have to install CCTV as part of government plans to monitor animal welfare.

Under rules being phased in over the next year, Food Standards Agency vets will be able to ask to see footage of all areas where livestock are held.

Slaughterhouses found to be failing welfare standards could face a criminal investigation or lose staff licences.

Environment Secretary Michael Gove said the proposals would make the UK a "global leader on animal welfare".

Currently, keepers of animals bred for meat must meet animal welfare laws and codes of practice, which cover the treatment of livestock including how they are fed, housed and transported, as well as how they are killed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40895049

I was very pleased to read this. I'm not particularly an animal lover but I think they should be treated and slaughtered humanely with as little stress as possible. As we know, there are certain sections of society who, for religious reason want to kill animals by slitting their throats and letting them bleed to death rather than by our method of stunning them first. We need to ensure that all animals suffer as little as possible. Hopefully this will stop the ill treatment that sometimes goes on in abattoirs and other places animals are kept.

There are videos made by animal rights activists on YouTube but I'm sure that no one would want to watch them anyway. Suffice to say, CCTV in all abattoirs and other places animals are kept will hopefully stamp out any cruelty.

• I agree.

With synthetic meat already on some plates, at least in posh New York restaurants, I am hoping to get out meat "fix" in the future, we won't need to kill animals to begin with.

I wonder if the CCTV will be in all slaughterhouses, including the religious ones?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Great news. There are some horrific scenes on animal rights videos. It seems that various psychos like to take out their lunacy on animals in abattoirs. You don't want to watch those, they stay with you forever.

• I know that kind of stuff is out there, but I avoid, like all the terrorism torture videos.

My head is filled up with enough crap, it doesn't need any more.

• I certainly want my meat to be humanely reared and when the time comes, to be despatched with minimum suffering to the animal and if CCTV helps in that pursuit then I'm all for it.

I do worry that there may be a rise in back-street abotoirs in religeous ghetto communities where all manner of cruel ways to despatch an animal could be practised. It may already be happening.:(

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

Red = Mod. Abide by it.

• Given the record of poor standards in some areas of UK farming [salmonella, BSE etc.] It seems to me more relevant to monitor how animals are cared for in their whole lifespan than just the few moments of death, I have also heard that ritual slaughter does not have to be quite so horrendous as some think, much depending on the sharpness of the knife. To me, if this comes off, it should be as part of a higher general standard of monitoring animal husbandry.

• I agree.

With synthetic meat already on some plates, at least in posh New York restaurants, I am hoping to get out meat "fix" in the future, we won't need to kill animals to begin with.

I wonder if the CCTV will be in all slaughterhouses, including the religious ones?

Synthetic meat???? the mind boggles. =O

And I also wondered about the ones who insist on not stunning animals before slaughter on "religious" grounds.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• The ultimate in over processing by the sound of it and no doubt will be overpriced to start with and open the door for cheaper but unethical mass production of a lesser quality product.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• It is overpriced now, but as more people get involved in it, the price will come down.

The links I provided were to the original team making this stuff, but there are several other groups involved now and as said, in posh New York Restaurants they are serving up synth burgers today.

I don't see how synthetic meat can be less unethical than killing animals, quite the opposite and as for lesser quality products, the market will decide. If the products are good, people will buy them.