How can something unbuilt cost £50m?

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.
  • A £200m plan to build a bridge covered with trees across the River Thames in central London has officially been abandoned.

The Garden Bridge Trust has announced that it is winding up the project due to a lack of support from the mayor.

Garden Bridge cancelled

=====

I am in the right kind of mood for this sort of story...:cursing::!:

For those not familiar with central London, there are loads of bridges, but some bright spark several years ago came up with the idea of having another one and not just any old bridge, but a living bridge with trees and plants on it. The fact that existing mature trees would be destroyed to make space for this new bridge, did not deter the Green lobby.

Eventually celebs like Joanna Lumley became involved and it looked like this nonsense was going to get the go ahead but after the usual bumbling and indecision, the then London mayor, Boris Johnson, deferred the decision on whether it would be built to another time. Another time when he knew he would not be mayor...

So, fast forward to today, and the current London mayor, Sadiq Khan was not interested in the project and refused to put more London taxpayer's money into it and so the backers have cancelled it. Once the final bill comes in, this bridge will have cost almost £50m.

How can something which has never seen the light of day, ever cost this much? No wonder you don't find poor consultants...

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Agree with Kahn for dumping it.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• I think the Greens are nuts. They are not green but human centred extremist lefties.

• But to be fair to the greenies, all this money was wasted under conservative controlled London headed by Boris. But, hey, as his dad keeps telling us, he has had the best classical eduction going,, so that makes everything ok then.:rolleyes:

Boris knows everything, except how to keep a basic ledger book of costs.

• yep-exactly. More ming-mong stupidity.

Still, its easy to be free with other peoples money isnt it?

Indeed. Perhaps we just just go to a system that we keep out own money and the politicians never get a look in.

• How can something which has never seen the light of day, ever cost this much? No wonder you don't find poor consultants...

I think we should make a start in finding out how much has been spent on junkets, 'fact finding trips ' hiring of expensive function halls and catering, various other 'expenses', glossy publications, etc. plus architects fees. Then perhaps we could ask Joanna Lumley and Boris Johnson et al for the money back.

• Didn't they rope Lumley in for the Gurkha thing as well?

• I'm so glad to see someone say in that article that the Gurkhas should have been better accommodated at home. I went off on one about this at the time, but the usual army of do-gooders had hysterics. Turns out that parachuting in celebs is a good way to stuff up a problem that needs rational thinking and compassion that doesn't dribble off into false sentiment.

I suspected the hapless Gurkhas would be miserable, and so many of them now are. I hope all of the yesmen and oohyesplease girls are happy. Probably forgotten all about it and are screeching about the present hate campaign, getting rid of Mr Trump. :rolleyes: