Lovefilm to close. Do you use it?

• The Lovefilm By Post DVD rental service will cease to operate on 31 October this year, its owner Amazon has said.

Amazon cited a "decreasing demand" for the discs and a growing number of customers who were streaming movies and TV series instead.

The move has irritated some fans, who argue that a wider range of films is available to rent on DVD and Blu-ray.

link

======

I never used the service myself, but I know it was very popular.

As I've said on Cable Forum many times, I think the future is streamed/on demand films and tv, but what if you can't afford these services?

I have a stack load of DVDs which cost a heck of a lot. Prior to that, a massive vhs collection. It is tempting to chuck out all the DVDs and save some space, but what if I can't afford the luxury, and it is a luxury, of a on demand service such as Netflix in the future?

It was hard enough selling my Star Trek VHS collection, which I did through gritted teeth, but I don't think I could bare parting with my Star Trek DVDs, even though every series of Trek and the upcoming new one, will be on Netflix. And on watch them on Netflix, despite the Trek DVDs being right above my tv.

Do you use Lovefilm, will you miss it?

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• I did used to like all the boxsets, that's what started off all the binge viewing, but then it went onto streaming and on demand viewing instead. That said, an uncle dropped off some Doc Martin boxsets which we've been enjoying in my household over the last few weeks.

• Never used the service. We've bought DVDs especially when the supermarket has a special deal. We bought the entire "World at War" documentary series by Thames TV with extras. 10 disc set for only £18.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in red it is moderation. Take note.

• That's the one with Lawrence Oliver. Excellent.

In my old office, we had a vending machine that you could rent films from. FilmBox or something like that, it was called. It was excellent. You could keep the films for as long as you wanted, then stick them in the "post" hole at the top of the machine when done. Videos were changed every week, so always got a fresh supply. Don't ever recall seeing it anywhere else, so it obviously never took off.

• Acclaimed documentary, I'd taped it years ago on VHS but the VCR is US at the moment and the DVD quality is so much better. In fact just about everything I have on tapes are now supplanted by DVDs or downloads.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in red it is moderation. Take note.