Holidaymakers are warned against using hotel wifi

Please treat other members in a constructive and friendly manner: Our Community Guidelines.

Everyone expects hotels to have wifi on their holiday these days – how else are you supposed to share holiday snaps on Instagram?

But experts are now warning that holidaymakers should avoid publicly accessible internet spots.

A cyber-spying group with suspected links to Russian military intelligence has been accused of targeting hotel guests in eight mostly European countries last month.

According to security firm FireEye, the espionage group, dubbed APT 28, sought to steal password credentials from Western government and business travellers using hotel wifi networks, in order then to infect their organisational networks back home.

The wave of attacks during the first week of July targeted travellers who were staying in several hotel chains in at least seven countries in Europe and one in the Middle East.

Full Story

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.

• What's the matter with the Russians? They hack everything they can lay their hands on. It's boring, stupid and irritating. Apart from the criminal aspect, which is also boring, stupid and irritating.

The vagabond who's rapping at your door

Is standing in the clothes that you once wore

• It's one of the reasons why I stopped the main Russian search engine from accessing this place. I don't trust them or those behind them.

I think people who work in government and business need to wise up frankly. It's obvious they should be careful using public wifi, but the fact that the Russians can put stuff on traveller's computers to then hack into their employer's networks in worrying.

As for who has wfi passwords, well we know who has the most... Google. Remember their street cars coming round? They still come round, and they accidentally collected everybody's wifi data. Probably in the hands of the NSA as we speak, which then GCHQ can access.

If my post is in this colour, it is a moderator decision. Please abide by it.

• Making some of the warnings in sci-fi books and films look less like fiction.

• A lot of stuff in sci-fi comes true in the end, because a lot of it is based on facts and theories from scientists.

• Yes, and fiction is a good medium for presenting it.

• I wouldn't trust public wifi anyway, also don't see the need for ISPs giving people wifi hubs with ever increasing ranges most are more than sufficient why use ones with even larger ranges and risk someone outside your home being able to hack into it.

Young boys in the park jumpers for goalpost that's what footballs all about isn't it.

• VM were going to do this Ron, letting people in streets access home routers which are not theirs, but I don't know if they implemented that or not.

• VM were going to do this Ron, letting people in streets access home routers which are not theirs, but I don't know if they implemented that or not.

Rolled out but only on SH3's running in router mode. I haven't reviewed the thread but IIRC you have to opt in to letting your own being used to be able to use the others.

Full discussion here: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703961

Unless you're using a VPN a public WiFi has to be regarded as compromised especially to non https sites.

History is much like an Endless Waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.

4312-gwban-gif

If my post is in this colour  it is moderation. Take note.